2004 - 2008 F-150

04' power window cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' power window cable?

Hey guys, I posted in the Electrical forums but haven't got any hits yet. I came back from lunch and found that my drivers side window was all the way down. After taking off the door panel and plastic vapor barrier, I saw that the cable had somehow came unspooled. Has anyone ever had any luck respooling it and any ideas on what may have caused it? Sorry for the poor photo attempt, it's a biatch trying to get a camera in your door panel.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Your window regulator went out ... possibly because the plastic clips holding the cable broke. Anyway, I'm quite certain you won't be able to respool it. This is actually a very common problem with our trucks. Search for "window AND regulator." Anyway, I didn't have time to wait for parts and had the dealership fix it --> $321! So, if you can buy the part yourself from a dealership (most will have it in stock), then you can try to change it out yourself. Check out http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx...or--Motor.html. There's also a window assembly diagram (Adobe .pdf) in my gallery.

Last edited by GordoPanocho; 09-20-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks Gordo, with all the info I have now I think I'll try it myself. I have the window wedged up with a survey stake , but it seems to be holding it up just fine for the time being. Wouldn't you know this would happen right after the warranty expired. How many miles were on your truck when it went out, mines at 39,900?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Take it back and ask them to fix it under warranty.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM
I had the same thing happen in my 99 Mustang GT when it was 3 months out of warranty. The dealership that I deal with fixed it under "After Warranty Assistance". I only paid 20%, and Ford picked up the other 80% of the total.

Now with all that Ford has been going through in the past few years, I don't know if they are still doing this, but it is worth a try. It is something that they do not need to do either, so be very nice to them as it is done on a case-by case basis only at the descretion of the service dept.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I posted about this in the electrical forum, same thing and I was 1 month out of warranty. They fixed it...

But now Im very leary of a power window motor/ regulator that breaks after 31,000 miles (which is what i have on my 2004)

Old 10-03-2007, 12:38 AM
It just happened to me today right when I got home from school. I am now worried that it can happen at anytime, what if it had happed after I parked and left my truck at school? It happened like 2 min after I walked inside so now I am super worried about it happing anywhere and my tvs getting jacked. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Same thing happened to me, here's a picture of mine:

GordoPanocho is right on, needed a new regulator - was less than $200 out the door to have my local shop do it.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:33 AM
I had BOTH of mine go out, drivers about 6 months ago and pass. about 3 weeks ago. Of course, my warranty had also expired. I talked to the stealership and found out that this is indeed a common problem. I needed the part ASAP so had to go through the stealership. It was around $135. If your survey stake can hold up for a few days, go to www.fordparts.com . You can find them there for about $85. Total labor time I would say max around 1.5 hours. Its pretty self explanitory, but like Gordo said, theres more posts here. Hope this helps, let me know if theres anything elses you need to know.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 AM
This seems to be the most popular topic on this forums recently. To the point we may need to sticky the part numbers and how to DIY.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 AM
PART# FROM fordparts.com

www.fordparts.com
OEM Parts catalog
In the REPLACEMENT PARTS block, fill out year, make, model.
From the list, select: body hardware, door, front door, window reg.

There are different ones for different models. $30-$60, cant beat it.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the info fordabbits, I'm taking it to the stealership tonight to get a quote. I'll see if I can get some sympathy for only being out of warranty a few months and miles, plus since it's such a common problem, maybe I'll milk that to for some extra sympathy points. If not, the survey stake is doing just fine, but it's amazing how much I miss being able to roll down the driverside window (plus the wife gets real cranky when I roll down her window to throw my gum out ). Hope ford comes up with a new design in the 09's.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:57 PM
mine is at the dealership now 350 to fix and it is a common problem but like a lot of other ford things they dont care and rake in the money.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by extremeethan
mine is at the dealership now 350 to fix and it is a common problem but like a lot of other ford things they dont care and rake in the money.
350? Ouch!! I wonder why there is such a spread in the cost to have it fixed when the warranty is expired? Some are getting it done for under 200 and then some in the 300's. Hope I fall in the under 200 range.... I feel for ya extremeethan.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I dont have time to do it myself or wait to get the part from online so 350 out of my pocket, my contact at that dealership up and went to toyota on me no word or anything so I am back to square 1 no rate discount or cheap parts.

Also is there anyway to prevent this I am soo worried about another window doing this out in a praking lot or something now

Quick Reply: 04' power window cable?