2004 - 2008 F-150

E-fans?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up E-fans?????

has anyone put in e-fans? if you what are your .02? notice any hp/tq? how many cfms? and would you recomend it? thanks for the imput..

Old 08-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by 1Bad06LT
has anyone put in e-fans? if you what are your .02? notice any hp/tq? how many cfms? and would you recomend it? thanks for the imput..
Dual SPAL 16" 4140cfm total flow. Hardly a power increase. They were not worth it to me, the reliability with a fan clutch is far better.

The nice thing about e-fans was the A/C efficiency while at slow speeds or stopped.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'm on the other side of the spectrum as far as opinion goes. I felt somewhat harder pull in the top end, you're definitely recovering parysitic power you previously lost with the mechanical fan in place, and you gain a lot of work space. If you wrench on your own vehicle it makes everything worth it. and you can put your own kit together very simply for under $80+/-.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 AM
SnowmaNick
I found the power band to be a bit smoother, a touch more power, a little better a/c at slow/traffic speeds. Main thing is the space to work on the engine like Josiah said though.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by SnowmaNick
I found the power band to be a bit smoother, a touch more power, a little better a/c at slow/traffic speeds. Main thing is the space to work on the engine like Josiah said though.

werd

Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
werd
^^^ X3 ^^^^

This whole reliability schtick - honestly guys it ALL hinges on high quality components, redundancy, exemplary install & wiring best practices, and a smidgen of over-engineering.

Skimp on any one of those things, and you WILL eventually have problems.

How many factory e-fan vehicles running around, anyone?

bubba

Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
^^^ X3 ^^^^

This whole reliability schtick - honestly guys it ALL hinges on high quality components, redundancy, exemplary install & wiring best practices, and a smidgen of over-engineering.

Skimp on any one of those things, and you WILL eventually have problems.

How many factory e-fan vehicles running around, anyone?

bubba
I work with electical design day in and day out. Electrical components do fail regardless of quality. And i am not sure redundant is the right word for the system you speak of. Redundant means something that is used when something else fails. For example redundant programable logic controllers at main well sites...The main PLC runs the system and the backup PLC doesn't do ANYTHING unless the system fails. But here with the e-fans you are constantly switching that 'redundant' fan when you are in ac/defrost. And if you know, switcing on/off electrical devices dimishes life more than running them constant over time.

How many 'factory' e-fan vehicles are 5500# that can tow 9000#+ ?

How is an electical fan more or just as reliable as a fan clutch and fan?

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
But here with the e-fans you are constantly switching that 'redundant' fan when you are in ac/defrost. And if you know, switcing on/off electrical devices dimishes life more than running them constant over time.

Tru dat! That's why my furnace fan at home runs 24/7 whether the AC is on or the heat. Not only does it keep the air constant throughout the house, but it's easier on the motor/electronics.

On a side note, my 95 Mustang has an e-fan and it's still functioning properly. The car does only have 70 k km's (40 k miles'ish?) on it though.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
I work with electical design day in and day out. Electrical components do fail regardless of quality. And i am not sure redundant is the right word for the system you speak of. Redundant means something that is used when something else fails. For example redundant programable logic controllers at main well sites...The main PLC runs the system and the backup PLC doesn't do ANYTHING unless the system fails. But here with the e-fans you are constantly switching that 'redundant' fan when you are in ac/defrost. And if you know, switcing on/off electrical devices dimishes life more than running them constant over time.

How is an electical fan more or just as reliable as a fan clutch and fan?
I have a little bit of electrical/electronic/computer experience as well (but only 40 year's worth lol).

The key is over-engineering - where the intended useage is factored into the root design - the fan designers know the duty-cycle requirements, target application, and proceed accordingly - for QUALITY ( e.g. OEM) fans. We are not talking cheap pc fans here, lol.

Perhaps not more reliable - but essentially just as reliable - over the projected lifetime of the system. With the attendant added benefits of ( potentially) better cooling, access to other components, better a/c performance, and less parasitic loss. It worth noting that mechanical systems break too - and I personally just hate the concept of a fan clutch that never fully disengages or freewheels - they always drag.

Actual vehicle is of no relevance - engine cooling is engine cooling. Cooling systems are sized to the vehicle, so duty cycles will be similar, if the efan is also sized correctly.

Oh - and the new Chebbies p/u's have electric fans

I have never, ever had one single efan install fail - no melted wires, no burned relays, no seizures, no overheating. Nada. I attribute that to my aformentioned points in my preceeding post.

We should probably just leave it as agreeing to disagree - we have different viewpoints & I'm perfectly cool (pun intended lol) with that.

bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 08-23-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
thanks guys for all the imput!

Old 08-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love mine. Patman and I made a custom kit this weekend for my 05. He should be posting pics or starting a thread soon. Like Josiah said, well worth your 80 bucks

Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Quintin had a good answer to a similar question awhile back. Do a search of the forum.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambo
Quintin had a good answer to a similar question awhile back. Do a search of the forum.
I did?

I probably said the same thing I'm about to say now, but my opinion - I've read too many posts here about fan controllers and wiring burning up to really trust electric fans myself. I don't think the dollar spent versus the gains (if any) received are worth the effort.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
I did?

I probably said the same thing I'm about to say now, but my opinion - I've read too many posts here about fan controllers and wiring burning up to really trust electric fans myself. I don't think the dollar spent versus the gains (if any) received are worth the effort.

Amen! Why make something more complex than it needs to be when the gain is so small?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Amen! Why make something more complex than it needs to be when the gain is so small?
I noticed +1.5 mpg in any driving conditions, and ive only spent 50 bucks so far on fans. The gas mpg increase alone is worth it

Quick Reply: E-fans?????