2004 - 2008 F-150

July Pickup sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Octane36
Toyota is having issue with the 6-speed auto tranny. Some of them have just locked-up with less than 500 miles on the truck.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...sion-failures/
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-problems-6-a/
Hardly an epidemic....

The original statement quoted 'That the Tundra has weak running gear' is totally crazy. There were 20 reported cam failures and no count on the trannies... I'd have to think if it were more than 20 it would have made some news somewhere.... as the cams did.

You can bash the truck all you want for what it is - expensive, some say ugly, foreign made, etc, etc... but making up things or grossly over-stating actual events really makes you look scared.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by mtofell
Hardly an epidemic....

The original statement quoted 'That the Tundra has weak running gear' is totally crazy. There were 20 reported cam failures and no count on the trannies... I'd have to think if it were more than 20 it would have made some news somewhere.... as the cams did.

You can bash the truck all you want for what it is - expensive, some say ugly, foreign made, etc, etc... but making up things or grossly over-stating actual events really makes you look scared.
Making things up? Read the forums. Forums represent a small percentage of actual buyers and users and many on the forums have had problems with the transmission. Some are even afraid to tow. The camshafts made the papers because it was almost the start to the largest recall Toyota has ever had, having to bring back every 5.7 made and replace it. Beleive and buy what you want, turn a blind eye to Toyotas documented problems with this truck, I dont care its not my money

Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Ford has sold more Super Duty's this year than last year...it's the F150 that is dragging the sales numbers down!

Old 08-20-2007, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Making things up? Read the forums. Forums represent a small percentage of actual buyers and users and many on the forums have had problems with the transmission. Some are even afraid to tow. The camshafts made the papers because it was almost the start to the largest recall Toyota has ever had, having to bring back every 5.7 made and replace it. Beleive and buy what you want, turn a blind eye to Toyotas documented problems with this truck, I dont care its not my money
Ummmm, I did read the link from the forum and hence my post.... I was actually looking for a news story or something documenting 'weak running gear' but apparently that couldn't be found.

I don't own a Ford or a Toyota so I'm totally impartial to the situation, something I'm sure you're not.

All of the manufacturers make great trucks these days. Some have problems in one area and some in others. I think honest comparisons are great. But I do have a problem with total false claims. I realize this is a Ford board and anything other than praying to the almightly Ford gods is looked down upon. But come on, at least have some facts to back up your claims.

Did you really say 'almost the start of a recall' ??? What does that even mean? Are 'almost recalls' a statistic kept by Edmunds, NADA, or KBB???

Again, I don't own a Toyota and have actually had several different Fords and think they are great trucks. I will likely own another one in the future. I just can't buy into this 'drive a turd if it has a Ford emblem - all other trucks suck' mindset.

Rather than a bunch of BS, how about a real story of Tundra's having 'weak running gear' ......... anyone?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 AM
What kind of a real story are you looking for, a CNN news report or something? If people are having problems with the trannys and posting it up on the boards then theres probly something wrong with them. Fords have problems with the spark plugs, theres no news story about it, just people saying it on the boards. There really is no flawless half ton truck out there. I personally stayed away from the Toyota because I dislike the looks of their trucks, and also I am a Ford guy.(not about to say I haven't thought about buying other brands though) I feel the same way about the Nissan with that goofy door in the side of the box, if just doesnt look as good as an F150.

I agree, the F150 is dragging down the sales numbers if anything. I've heard before that Ford sells more diesel pickups then GM and Dodge combind. Not sure if its fact.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Regarding the cam issues.

Toyota fessed up to them and they replaced engines.

Ford had the cruise trick and burnt up many trucks and homes/garages as well.

I don't wanna say that Toyota cam issue isn't a problem but wow what a comparison. Toyota repaired their problem for the 20 or so defects. Ford owners had to litigate or claim insurance for the 3 million unit recall where the unit failed.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1981
I read the forums regarding the transmission failures and something didn't feel right as I read the followups from the people complaining about the problems. It sounded like trolls or a couple of teenagers making it up on the fly. Forums are not documented problems. If the problems are as bad as the posters claim, it would have been picked up by the media and splashed all over the news.

I'm sure there are some problems as there are with anything mechanical and made by mere humans but I suspect this is a mountain made out of a mole hill.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by dennisfranz
Regarding the cam issues.

Toyota fessed up to them and they replaced engines.

Ford had the cruise trick and burnt up many trucks and homes/garages as well.

I don't wanna say that Toyota cam issue isn't a problem but wow what a comparison. Toyota repaired their problem for the 20 or so defects. Ford owners had to litigate or claim insurance for the 3 million unit recall where the unit failed.
So is Toyota a better company because they are just so nice to throw you a new engine or did they notice the heat Ford took on their cruise situation and decide not to go thru it themselves? It is nice when you are fairly new at the scene, you can take the good stuff from those that have been around for awhile and take notes about what didn't work out so well.

The cruise thing was stretched out over 15 years, the camshaft thing was less than 1 year. Kinda makes you wonder how many cams would have bit the dust if they wouldn't caught so soon. Not that is slightly easier to diagnose a bad camshaft than a bad switch after the truck burned to the ground along with the garage it was in.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by mtofell
Rather than a bunch of BS, how about a real story of Tundra's having 'weak running gear' ......... anyone?
Really its not worth my time. Your opinion doesnt really matter to me. I have already provided links to actual owners complaining about the issues. Sorry Truck Trend didnt make a special issue on it I can link for your approval. Go log into Tundratalk and tell them the transmissions going bad isnt a "real" issue and that the truck is perfectly fine.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
So is Toyota a better company because they are just so nice to throw you a new engine or did they notice the heat Ford took on their cruise situation and decide not to go thru it themselves? It is nice when you are fairly new at the scene, you can take the good stuff from those that have been around for awhile and take notes about what didn't work out so well.

The cruise thing was stretched out over 15 years, the camshaft thing was less than 1 year. Kinda makes you wonder how many cams would have bit the dust if they wouldn't caught so soon. Not that is slightly easier to diagnose a bad camshaft than a bad switch after the truck burned to the ground along with the garage it was in.
More than anything I think it's just luck that Toyota found the cam problem before a bunch of production. The Ford CC thing was just an elusive, rare problem. And, as mentioned, it's hard to determine the cause of something when it's a pile of ashes. Luckily for Toyota when the cams blew they left some evidnece behind. I'm not so sure Toyota really learned anything about recalls. If they were a newer manufacturer maybe, but they've been around awhile, just not in the full size truck arena.

You've got to think any problem with any vehicle causes the engineers and designers some sleepless nights and they try as fast as possible to get to the bottom of it. Brushing a problem under the rug is just not realistic.

Look at all of the crap Nissan went through with the Titan... horrible brakes, blown rear diffs and they met the problems head on and took care of them.

That was pretty much my initial point that for a new model truck the problems with the Tundra have been pretty minor. We'll really not know for another year or so to see if something starts popping up.

Until then I hope all the Tundra owners can get past their 'fear of towing'

Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
So is Toyota a better company because they are just so nice to throw you a new engine or did they notice the heat Ford took on their cruise situation and decide not to go thru it themselves? .
Never said they were better.

The cruise thing was stretched out over 15 years, the camshaft thing was less than 1 year.
Did it really take Ford 15 years to figure that out?
I have seen many pictures of just the area around the switch being burned. I don't know who would gather the info fo it but for 15 years to catch it, wow.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 PM
most americans are brainwashed that foriegn cars are more relable and better vehicles than their american counterparts. honda and toyota are the only foreign cars that are any good (the others just ride off their success).... and guess what... they ain't perfect either. they have a 'service dept' and fail just like everybody else.

nissan-junk
kia-junk
mitsubishi-junk
hyundai-junk
VW-big junk
subaru-junk
mercedes-junk
BMW-junk
audi-big junk

people buy hondas and toyotas because they are sheep. check out the JD powers reports on manufacturer's reliablity ratings. it might surprise you.... if your a sheep

oaw

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Those are some impressive numbers for Toyota. I have been seeing a ton of them around here too. Five years Ford will be number 2. Sad day.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by miwico
Those are some impressive numbers for Toyota. I have been seeing a ton of them around here too. Five years Ford will be number 2. Sad day.
doubt that. if toyota ever wants to really compete in the full size truck market they need to do a few things.
a) get a full size truck with 5 start safety ratings
b) drop their prices to appeal to the working class
c) get a diesel engine

untill then, Ford will continue to outsell them 6:1 in the truck market.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oscar_a_wiggy
most americans are brainwashed that foriegn cars are more relable and better vehicles than their american counterparts. honda and toyota are the only foreign cars that are any good (the others just ride off their success).... and guess what... they ain't perfect either. they have a 'service dept' and fail just like everybody else.

nissan-junk
kia-junk
mitsubishi-junk
hyundai-junk
VW-big junk
subaru-junk
mercedes-junk
BMW-junk
audi-big junk

people buy hondas and toyotas because they are sheep. check out the JD powers reports on manufacturer's reliablity ratings. it might surprise you.... if your a sheep

oaw
You're right, many people are brainwashed, and many are not driving foreign cars.

Quick Reply: July Pickup sales