2004 - 2008 F-150

LED tail lights affecting Cruise Control........

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LED tail lights affecting Cruise Control........

I brought my truck in for service and one of the items was to have the cruise control fixed. I went on Tuesday and the tech couldn't figure it out, so they ordered a new module and a couple of other parts. The parts arrived this morning and they spent the entire day attempting to fix it and still no solution. So i guess the dealership called Ford and they eventually narrowed it down to the LED tail lights I have installed. Apparently they put stock tails back in and everything works. They said the resistance difference is affecting the cruise control..........wierd huh?

Anyone else with LED tails have this issue? I have DEPO LED's........

I'll go pick it up, find out if its too low or too high and find out what resistance is needed and try to fix it myself...

Old 08-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Ive never had this problem and at once time I had the Depo LED's. Maybe your lights are tricking the trucks computer to think the brake is on, so therefore the cruise control wont engage.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
Ive never had this problem and at once time I had the Depo LED's. Maybe your lights are tricking the trucks computer to think the brake is on, so therefore the cruise control wont engage.
Very good therory.......!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same problem

I had the exact same problem, in fact started a thread about it a few days ago. I installed load equalizers on the taillights' high circuits and all is well again. It appears the cruise control does it's own resistance check separate from the turn signal flasher. Buy some equalizers, should fix your problem.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I actually must have the same problem. My cruise control doesn't work and now that I think about it started around the same time I installed my l.e.d. tail lights. When I went to the dealer they told me I needed a new break light switch. I haven't had time to get the new break light switch. Could it be I need a load equalizer? If so what wattage? And how do they get installed?

Thanks! I can't believe that this could be the thing that caused the problem!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Never had a problem with the Hella LED tails. Had Depo products in the past for different vehicles and they definitely had spotty quality. Depo's slogan: "You get what you pay for".

Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XLTeaser
Never had a problem with the Hella LED tails. Had Depo products in the past for different vehicles and they definitely had spotty quality. Depo's slogan: "You get what you pay for".
**Off topic**

Depo's slogan, that's the truth. I have some black Depo headlights that leak, and the clear plastic is beginning to delaminate. Junk. I have some HD headlights coming monday, I should have gotten them in the first place.

**Continue topic**

Old 08-11-2007, 05:04 AM

load eq. will cause those to pull just as much if not more then an incandescent bulb.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 AM
That's the purpose of the load equalizer, to trick whatever system is checking resistance to determine if a bulb is out into thinking it has fully functioning incandescent bulbs. Aftermarket led taillights or just bulbs will not draw as much, and cause the fast blinker or cruise control problems. Maybe the Hella's have built-in load equalizers, which are really just resistors, nothing more. Here is what I bought to fix my cruise control problem, and connected it to the high circuit on each taillight: http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=113

Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Guys, Thanks for the info. I might give it a shot and see what happens.
Thanks!

BTW, My Depo's are 2 years old and they are perfectly fine, no leaks or any quality problems.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by fireman137
That's the purpose of the load equalizer, to trick whatever system is checking resistance to determine if a bulb is out into thinking it has fully functioning incandescent bulbs. Aftermarket led taillights or just bulbs will not draw as much, and cause the fast blinker or cruise control problems. Maybe the Hella's have built-in load equalizers, which are really just resistors, nothing more. Here is what I bought to fix my cruise control problem, and connected it to the high circuit on each taillight: http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=113

Just picked up some Depo's with the same issue. I tried to click on your link but it doesn't work. DO you have another link you can post.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM
OMG. I got my LED tails for my birthday last year and i also got the Edge Tuner, and ever since then my cruise controll hasnt worked and it stumped me. I had no idea why it would just stop working. I put the edge back to stock and everything. I lived with no cruise controll for almost a year untill this thread. I gotta go out and change the tails back. Jeeze what a stupid thing to cause that.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by bankrpt
Thanks man. I dont understand the online instructions they have. Do these go inbetween the truck wiring and the tails.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
hook one end to your brake/turn signal and the other end to the ground

Quick Reply: LED tail lights affecting Cruise Control........