2004 - 2008 F-150

******TPS question, need to know tonight********

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
******TPS question, need to know tonight********

I decided to remove my throttle body and clean it out to try and stop my stalling problem, I went to remove the TPS on the side of the throttle body and none of the allens I have fit it, one did kinda but it started to strip the bolt, anyone know what size the allen is for it???????? Im going to work at 4 in the morning and want to fix it tonite Heres a pic................

Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Did you try metric allen wrenches?

I think it's a 3 or 4mm.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:31 PM
looked everywhere in my Haynes Repair Manual but nothing, all the info i found was

All 4.2l v6 models and 2004 4.6l and 5.4l v8 models the Tp Sensor is not removable, if it has to be replaced then you must replace the whole TB assembly which includes a new Tp Sensor

2005 and 2006 4.6l and 5.4l V8. If you remove the TP Sensor from the TB on one of these models, the manufacturer recommends intalling a new TP Sensor not the old unit.

Disconnect the cable from neg.
Disconnect electrical connector from sensor
remove TP sensor mounting screws and remove the TP sensor from TB Caution:the manufacturer recommended technique for removing of screws is to loosen them one or two turns by hand, then remoiving them the rest of the way with a high speed power driver. If this method is not followed, the screws may break.

Page 6-20 section 15 TP sensor replacement

sorry dude hope this help any, in the pics it looks more like a torqe head not an allen head.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by pachi7tre
looked everywhere in my Haynes Repair Manual but nothing, all the info i found was

All 4.2l v6 models and 2004 4.6l and 5.4l v8 models the Tp Sensor is not removable, if it has to be replaced then you must replace the whole TB assembly which includes a new Tp Sensor

2005 and 2006 4.6l and 5.4l V8. If you remove the TP Sensor from the TB on one of these models, the manufacturer recommends intalling a new TP Sensor not the old unit.

Disconnect the cable from neg.
Disconnect electrical connector from sensor
remove TP sensor mounting screws and remove the TP sensor from TB Caution:the manufacturer recommended technique for removing of screws is to loosen them one or two turns by hand, then remoiving them the rest of the way with a high speed power driver. If this method is not followed, the screws may break.

Page 6-20 section 15 TP sensor replacement

sorry dude hope this help any, in the pics it looks more like a torqe head not an allen head.
Yeah I know its a torx head im in hurry, anyway i just got back from walmart I bought a new set, hopefully I can get it.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
******* i broke a bolt trying to put it back in!!! One is all the way in though, so it should hold until I get a chance to take it to the dealer to tap it out, there goes about $200 Once I get it back installed i post up the changes

Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by FX4REACTION1
******* i broke a bolt trying to put it back in!!! One is all the way in though, so it should hold until I get a chance to take it to the dealer to tap it out, there goes about $200 Once I get it back installed i post up the changes
Thats one thing I hate about these trucks, the average do it your self or just plain maintance has become a big P.I.T.A. without special tools or dealer assistance.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey punk, whats that thing there that says Roush? LOL, JK awesome brother Looks like your taking the mods to another level
Is that your truck in your gallery with the lift? If so that came out great..

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
Hey punk, whats that thing there that says Roush? LOL, JK awesome brother Looks like your taking the mods to another level

huh oh.... i didnt notice that till you said something... what you been hiding..

Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Alright well, i just got back from driving around the block, and............... totally different truck! I cant believe it! Throttle response is crazy, and it idles perfectly while in gear at a light, I recommend everyone do this when they get a chance Im not to worried about that broken bolt on the TPS, Ford put enough lock-tite on that thing that it doesn't need bolts

Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 AM
What process did you use to clean the throttle body? Did you remove the throttle body?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Alright well, i just got back from driving around the block, and............... totally different truck! I cant believe it! Throttle response is crazy, and it idles perfectly while in gear at a light, I recommend everyone do this when they get a chance Im not to worried about that broken bolt on the TPS, Ford put enough lock-tite on that thing that it doesn't need bolts

that was great.....

now i want one...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by kalebarellano
What process did you use to clean the throttle body? Did you remove the throttle body?

Thanks
opps...

Last edited by weazel; 08-08-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
Originally Posted by weazel
huh oh.... i didnt notice that till you said something... what you been hiding..
Well guys I would love to tell you that, that was my Roush but its not Its a pic I found from a fellow members write up. Someday though.....someday

Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Well guys I would love to tell you that, that was my Roush but its not Its a pic I found from a fellow members write up. Someday though.....someday
ah... so we totally mis understood?

Old 08-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by kalebarellano

Thanks
Yes

1. Unhook connections to intake
2. Remove intake, not sure on the stock intake but my Airaid had 5 bolts, all were with a 10MM socket
3.Unhook connections to the TB
4.Remove TB, 4 bolts hold it down, also used a 10MM socket
5. With TB removed, spray and clean TB inside with Carb cleaner, and unscrew the TPS with a 20 torx socket, Be careful though I broke a bolt in the process. Clean than let dry, do so until you feel its clean
6. Then just follow the same process you did to put it on, but back wards

Difficulty Rating = 1-10 ....... 3, I dropped a bolt in the engine bay and took forever to find it, but overall very easy and shouldn't take more than 45 min.

Quick Reply: ******TPS question, need to know tonight********