2004 - 2008 F-150

Diff Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not going to do the gears but I dont know about this shop tearing into my front end, they are a semi transmission and gear shop they are doing my gears on the side but I was wondering if I should tear the front end down if it need to be over letting them do it.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by extremeethan
Im not going to do the gears but I dont know about this shop tearing into my front end, they are a semi transmission and gear shop they are doing my gears on the side but I was wondering if I should tear the front end down if it need to be over letting them do it.
do what?

If you do the rear you have to do the front. Some people may argue and say its okay as long as you never use 4H or 4L, B.S. Anyways, make sure they know what they are doing because by you leaning over their shoulder isnt going to help since you yourself do not know what exactly to look for. Try to get the shop to guarantee NO GEAR NOISE, There are only 2 shops in the Houston area that I know of that offered that gurantee to me. There is always some Know-it-all mechanic that says all gears make noise.

I have my Yukon 4.56s and my Mag-Hytec for 2 years and 40,000 miles and counting and still no noise.

Good Luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:47 PM
No no you got me wrong this is the shop that does all our heavy duty work with no problems but they are doing my f1 on the side for me, my problem is they do all heavy duty work and I dont know if I feel good letting them take off my spindles and what not to get the CV axles out to pull the main axles out of the front diff, IF thats whats required. I just need to know the basics of doing the front gears to determine if I want to get the truck ready for them to do the gears or is it simple and I can trust someone that hasnt done this model yet to tear the front suspension apart.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
anyone?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by extremeethan
No no you got me wrong this is the shop that does all our heavy duty work with no problems but they are doing my f1 on the side for me, my problem is they do all heavy duty work and I dont know if I feel good letting them take off my spindles and what not to get the CV axles out to pull the main axles out of the front diff, IF thats whats required. I just need to know the basics of doing the front gears to determine if I want to get the truck ready for them to do the gears or is it simple and I can trust someone that hasnt done this model yet to tear the front suspension apart.
OK, the front diff is easy to drop. since they handle HD applications this should be a walk in the park. THe Half Shafts bolt right up to the Diff and slide right out of the spindles after you remove the nut. Mark the half shafts where they bolt to the diff (just as a precaution when they bolt them back on) and its a piece of cake. Sorry, i didnt really understand what you were trying to say earlier.

p.s.
You can a pull a manual online from Rancho or Fabtech on how to install a lift kit and the instructions are there on how to remove the halfshafts since dropping the front diff is part of the Lift installation process.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Sal FX4; 08-07-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Here is another option for you

Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
I installed my lift I was just asking if it is need to pull the half shafts or can they just take the diff cover off and leave the rest of the front end alone.

Quick Reply: Diff Covers