2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission Bump/clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Bump/clunk

I have an 04 150 4X4 with about 25000 miles on it. I dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday because I'm having a bump/clunk in my transmission. When I slow to about 20 MPH to go over a speed hump (not speed bump) and then get back on the gas, there is a bump/clunk. I got a call this morning saying they couldn't duplicate the problem. I asked if I could come and take the service manager or service advisor for a ride to show them what I'm talking about. The service manager went with me and after a short drive I was able to get the bump/clunk to happen about 10 times. The service advisor was surprised when the service manager stated that he thought the transmission was disengaging and the bump was when it engaged again.

My question is this: Does anyone know if there is a TSB for this specific problem?

I just called and the service advisor stated that they haven't had any luck finding the problem and they may need to keep my truck several more days.

Any ideas you all can give would be great!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
You know I bought my exhaust system from a guy on here not far from my house. he had an 05 Scab, he said when he first got the truck it made the same noise your describing. He said the driveshaft had to be shimmed, apparently it was not set up right from the factory. He also said that the limited slip rear ends made noise like that also, although mine hasnt. Maybe suggest that to your dealer? To check driveshaft clearance for you? Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Similar problem/solution

I have a 2004 FX4 with a 8 inch CST lift, and I had the same noise/problem before and after the lift.... I do not know if there is a TSB for this, but I had my truck at the dealer several times, had the rear end rebuilt, changed the leaf springs, had all the bolts on the transmission mounts, and leaf springs re-torqued and nothing corrected the problem to my satisfaction. However I bought and installed the PRO-COMP traction bars, and this noise has gone away. I think it comes from axel wrap in the leaf springs when you accelerate. Dont know if this will fix your poblem, however thats my 2 cents!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I had a clunk in my transmission when I would slow down to around 20mph and then press the gas. Usually when I was slowing down to turn and then accelerated out of the turn. I did find a TSB report on this. I printed it out and took it to the dealer. They flashed(updated) my PCM. Now, the clunk is gone and I have better throttle response. They said the update has new shift points. Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:39 PM
TNC
There is a TSB for this. It's regarding a lack of lubrication on the splines of the output shaft. Once you left off the gas, and then tip back in, it will clunk or sometimes slam back in. The TSB calls for inspection of the splined shaft, any shavings noted, it gets replaced. Otherwise, it is to be cleaned and lubed with silicone grease. If you're under warranty, you might get it fixed for free. Otherwise, find a good transmission shop and ask for the inspection and lubrication. I'd just check myself if it's out of warranty. Can't remember the exact TSB #, sorry....

Old 08-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had an 04 that had the clunk. same place every day on the way home from work. got the pcm reflashed cause of throttle lag and poor performance and the clunking was gone. agree with 05blackford. you would have never been able to tell me that and have me believe it if i didnt experience it.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:18 PM
clunk?? mine SLAMS into gear! It's instant **** off mode for me every time it happens. So if I call the $tealer, they'll reflash the PCM and it will, or rather should, disappear?

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
slip/ clunk

My 05 lariat had the same thing, took it to the dealer (just barely
under warrenty), they told me this a common problem with ALL
Ford rear wheel drives, they did TSB 05-26-11, Lube driver line
slip yoke, Cured the problem!! They also said this should be done
every 20-30,000 miles, I'm told its a little labor intensive.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I got a call from the service advisor and he asked if they could have the truck until Monday. I called today and found that the tech that is working on it is off on the weekend.

If anyone knows the TSB # that TNC is talking about, could you please post it for me?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:19 PM
TNC
Originally Posted by sacmike
My 05 lariat had the same thing, took it to the dealer (just barely
under warrenty), they told me this a common problem with ALL
Ford rear wheel drives, they did TSB 05-26-11, Lube driver line
slip yoke, Cured the problem!! They also said this should be done
every 20-30,000 miles, I'm told its a little labor intensive.
Hope this helps.

There's the number, main.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
programmer

would a programmer do the same thing as a flash to take care of this clunk as well? Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 PM
what is a TSB? should I look into this also?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Bump/Clunk still there

So I finally picked my truck up a week later. I had to take the service manager for a ride, he agreed with me and told the service advisor what he thought they should check. So the tech takes a second drive, spends part of the day "working on it" then I get a call that my truck is ready. I ask, "what did you find as the problem?" They say, "we couldn't duplicate the problem". I ask to speak with the service manager and am told he'll call me right back. Five minutes later the advisor calls and says that they are going to assign a different tech and the service manager will over see the work. My truck sits at the dealer over the weekend (tech is off on the weekends) and get a call on Monday saying he's working on it. Tuesday I'm told its a control module in the transmission. Wednesday I get a call stating that they replaced the control module and the truck is fixed. I pick it up late in the day and take it down the same road as I did with the service manager. I'm sure you'll all be surprised that they DID NOT FIX IT! So I talk with the advisor today and tell him that I'll be emailing him a list of posts from this site along with TSB numbers.

I drop it off next week (this time I get a loaner car) and we'll see what happens. They get one more chance to fix it and if they can't get the job done, it's off to another dealer.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Please update us if you actually get this fixed I'm tired of the usual (Thats normal) routine I have had this problem for a few years now and they have replaced the drive shaft and worked on the transmission itself to no avail.Thanks

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4104

Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a 2004 4x4 Lariat that has always made the aforementioned clunking noise - typically when going over a speed hump (there are plenty on my morning route each day). Four trips to Ford and all they did was re flash their OEM program twice and give me a new driveshaft. All sorts of B.S. from the service manager that the Airaid was responsible for messing up the PCM - a complete joke.

Long story short I recently got sick of the problem and bought the DiabloSport Predator so I can do a variety of things. Aside from running the 93 Octane program, recalibrating my speedometer to adjust for my 33's I also adjusted the shift firmness. The OEM setting is zero and you can go all the way up to 10 I believe - I set it to two. Historically this clunk/hard engage occurs at the the 1st & 2nd gear shift that somehow goes in limbo when I lay off the gas to coast over a speed hump. I was always able to recreate it (even for the Ford Service stooges) and with the new program I would say it is solved. Quite happy with the all that I was able to get out of a $300 programmer - and after clunking since Oct 2003 I almost feel like I have a new vehicle!

Last edited by Daneo2; 08-22-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Bump/clunk