2004 - 2008 F-150

Problem with Bilstein 5100’s

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Bilstein 5100’s

I am out of town on work. So I dropped the truck off at the dealer before I left. I had already installed the rears, and I wanted them to do the fronts. They put them in, then call and tell me the truck rides like crap, and they do not think I will be happy with the ride. They said it rides like an air suspension truck with a blown bag. I am trying to get home early enough to drive the truck myself, but I have to decide if I want them to put the stockers back in with the spacer, or leave the bilstein’s in. They are certain they have them in correct. What do you think? Can anybody else with Bilstein's relate to the comments from the dealer?

Second question. Are the lariat and FX4 factory front shocks the same, or are they different?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:35 PM
The factory shocks between FX4 and Lariat are different part numbers. I believe the FX4's have slightly stiffer valving.

Can't help you with the Bilstein question.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I had a set of the heavy duty yellow bilsteins in my front suspension for 5,000 miles. It had a very rough bouncy ride, and I eventually replaced them with the stock shocks again. I'm the only one thats had this problem, until just now reading about yours.

I would have them put in the stockers, and send the shocks back to bilstein.

jrbhc8

Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Here is an update. The Ford certified techs put the bottom spring seat in upside down. Certified my ****!

The shocks ride great. The small bumps are a bit more pronounced at low speeds. On the highway, these things rock. On the washboard dirt roads they are 10 fold better than the factory. I took the truck on a 700 mile trip this weekend and they seem to have setteled in a little. The small bumps are still more pronounced than stock, but not as much as when I left the stealership.

Overall they are better than stock in most areas and a little harsher in others.

These comparisons are made to the factory FX4 suspension with the skyjacker spacers. Obviously the spacers are out now and the front is set on the 2" setting.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 AM
I was going to say Ive had them and loved them as well as Ive only heard good about them something must be wrong for them to ride like crap

Quick Reply: Problem with Bilstein 5100’s