2004 - 2008 F-150

Cam phaser repair? Is it long term fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
Hey, bud. I'm only trying to help you. I feel for your engine problems, but STOP biting my head off already.

The lack of using an anti drainback oil filter HAS cured some people's startup noise, though it seems not the case in your situation.
Thats what sux about the web. No tone in typing. I'm not bitting anyones head off. I was just a little frustrated that it was posted as a simple cure all to that particular problem when it isn't for many fo us. I dont think the issue is that simple... wanted the newbies to know.
I'm curious, between guys that go to the dealer for service and the guys that go the xtra mile and use high end everything (inc oil filters) what % of 3v's out there would not have the anti-drainback valve? Might be higher than I first thought given all the cheap do-it yourselfers who go to local autoparts store for cheapest filter/oil combo???

Old 08-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't know how many but as I recall, more than once, someone was using a Fram with the cardboard drainback and it had apparently collapsed. Their problem was solved when they went to a filter using a plastic tube, such as Motorcraft.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM
TNC
Originally Posted by A199578
what does this cam phaser noise sound like and when does it do it? My truck makes like a quick rattling noise at startup for the first start of the day and goes away in 1 to 2 seconds and i never hear it again till the next day at startup. Is that a cam phaser noise?
Cam phaser ticking almost sounds like a muffled diesel. If it's the phaser, it's going to happen after warm up. Even then, it'll fade after about 1800 rpms. Engine will sound great cold unless you have the valve train start up rattle.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 PM
My phasers have made that ticking sound for going on 15,000 miles now.

Oh well.

When it breaks, I'l worry with it then... and add new cams while I'm at it.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The cam phaser noise that I've heard isn't a ticking, but a knocking type sound. Mostly heard after the engine is warmed up, like after a drive session. The ticking most people hear is the fuel injectors.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Not injector ticking.

I took mine to the dealer after 36k mile and they told me they cold fix the Phasers but it wouldn't be covered under warrenty.. I was at like 36,072 miles or somthing.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Mine makes noise, but a very trustworthy ASE Ford mechanic friend of mine said it's fine after I brought my truck in for the cam phaser repair. I only did so because of the horror stories I read online, mostly here. Personally, I think the cam phaser repair is like snake oil.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 AM
TNC
Originally Posted by Stealth
Mine makes noise, but a very trustworthy ASE Ford mechanic friend of mine said it's fine after I brought my truck in for the cam phaser repair. I only did so because of the horror stories I read online, mostly here. Personally, I think the cam phaser repair is like snake oil.
I think you're right for the most part. I haven't heard a lot of stories about the phaser ticking and then the engine exploding. I have it. Mine ticks, along the lines of a quiet diesel after warmup. Truck sounds great cold. Unless it's a warranty fix, I'm leaving it alone.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by TNC
I think you're right for the most part. I haven't heard a lot of stories about the phaser ticking and then the engine exploding. I have it. Mine ticks, along the lines of a quiet diesel after warmup. Truck sounds great cold. Unless it's a warranty fix, I'm leaving it alone.
I think some hear the injectors ticking and think it's the cam phasers. The cam phaser is more of a knock as in a rod knocking. All injectors have an annoying tick. Sounds almost like rocker arms clicking.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Over a year ago, Quintin said that the phaser noise does not hurt the engine at all. After listening to mine since the day I bought it, I have not broken anything on top. I agree, this fix is only for a little noise (piece of mind) and does not damage a thing. I would say it is a big waste of money, and I have never heard of engine failure due to a noisy cam phaser.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by KSpencer
Over a year ago, Quintin said that the phaser noise does not hurt the engine at all. After listening to mine since the day I bought it, I have not broken anything on top. I agree, this fix is only for a little noise (piece of mind) and does not damage a thing. I would say it is a big waste of money, and I have never heard of engine failure due to a noisy cam phaser.
That's exactly how I feel about it. I used to be one of those concerned cam phaser noise guys as well. It's kind of nice having access to the wealth of information on these forums, yet it's rather amusing how one little thing gets blown out of proportion on these forums. Like making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I am having that problem right now and i was worried tons about it!! i love this freakin sight!! it totally makes me feal good that others have the problem and for a while and still just the annoying knock!!! thanks guys!!!! however i am getting mine fixed just not right now.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Smok][n
i have a intermittent knock at idle. its pretty loud like a rod knock... but it only does it once or twice, and nothing for 5-30 seconds then again. does this sound like what you guys expereienced?

also, on the ford parts site there is no "cam phaser" but the "cam gears" for the 5.4 is like 5 times as much as the 4.2 or 4.6. is this the cam phaser?
Sounds like a lash adjustor/lifter hanging up intermittantly. Is it louder coming from one bank/head than the other possibly accompanied by an intermittant engine miss ?

Cam gear = cam phaser= VCT on the 5.4L 3V.

Last edited by matt1971; 09-26-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Watch episode 22 here guys. It will explain it all.
V
V
V
http://flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=12&

I had my phasers replaced and the ticking started back up after 2 weeks but a little quieter now.
Also have it on startup as well. (watch the video)

Hope it helps, explained a lot to me. I know this thread is old right now but others will stop by with the same questions I suppose.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by EZRIDR
Watch episode 22 here guys. It will explain it all.
V
V
V
http://flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=12&

I had my phasers replaced and the ticking started back up after 2 weeks but a little quieter now.
Also have it on startup as well. (watch the video)

Hope it helps, explained a lot to me. I know this thread is old right now but others will stop by with the same questions I suppose.
CANT view video, need to be a member

Quick Reply: Cam phaser repair? Is it long term fix?