2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck handling characteristics.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Truck handling characteristics.......

Alright so I am not really use to driving trucks, and RWD for that matter. I owned a Camaro Z28 as my first car, but that was years ago. I forgot how much different power being back there changes the handling characteristics.

So I got a quick lesson yesterday in RWD etiquette. It was raining slightly and I was getting on the on ramp The on ramp has a decent quick curve to it and then a pretty short merge zone so you have to get er going. I didnt want to fly around the curve of course but when I got half way through I gave er a decent amount of gas to pick it up. WELL the *** end swung around to the left (oncoming lane), put a on my face and I corrected throwing it back to the right, then left, and right one more time. Each one giving me a bit more control and keeping it in my lane.

Yeah so I guess I got a lesson in what to watch for in the truck. I decided I wanted to learn a bit more about the truck so I went out to an area I could play in and decided to run some drills to see where it stood and how far I could push it. I did some turns with different power levels through them and even tried a turn with a WOT power around (that was fun ).... THEN I threw it in 4WD tired the same kind of turn, with 3/4 throttle mid way through on wet ground. The SOB just grabbed and threw me back and took off in the direction I was asking it too. THAT WAS AWESOME

I couldnt imagine the truck in the snow without the 4WD. I would have to be even more careful in it then the car which wouldnt be kosher. But with the 4WD it's game on.

Just thought I would share my experience and see if you guys had some others.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have considered posting something like this for a long time but just kept putting it off. I have a post on here from probably 2 years ago that is very similar. I drag race and dirt track race as well. SOooo sideways is no big deal to me, but my 04 scab is probably the worst vehicle that I have ever owned from the factory stock....as far as traction on wet roads, you simply cannot throttle this truck onto the interstate if its raining.. mind you I think its cool that you can easily air out the back end but its does suk in heavy traffic....A friend of mine was driving us to the bristol dragway for the All Ford Show and it was early in the AM and it was misting a little and we hit I81 north at the on ramp he stabbed the gas and we bout went round n round, he was like what the hell was that all about, are your tires shot or what.. ( nope ) just loose in the rain....

Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Moltenice
...I couldnt imagine the truck in the snow without the 4WD. I would have to be even more careful in it then the car which wouldnt be kosher. But with the 4WD it's game on.

Just thought I would share my experience and see if you guys had some others.
Great that your learning, just know you can't go driving bat crazy with 4wd in the snow. It definitely helps, don't get me wrong, but know this...It won't help you STOP any faster. Your brakes locking up in 4wd is no different than in 2wd. This is especially true on ice.

Just kick on the 4wd, take your time, plan ahead for stops, and laugh at the clowns in the ditch who thought their 4wd was an end all to any road condition.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 AM
I 2wd in the snow

Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
I dont care what anyone drives. ALL RWD vehicles will loose the rear end in the rain if you drive like that.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Copperhead64
I dont care what anyone drives. ALL RWD vehicles will loose the rear end in the rain if you drive like that.
Exactly. My old Ranger was worse than the F-150 and the Trans am is much worse. By the way it's hard on the 4wd to use it on dry pavement.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Copperhead64
I was trying to tell my brother not to rely on his BMW's traction control to save his *** mid corner when he mashes the gas.... he wouldn't listen to me

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A light a$$ end makes for some nice fun

Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
As long as you keep the front wheels pointed in the direction you want to go you still have control over the vehicle.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by styxnpicks
I 2wd in the snow
what, on the one or two days a year it snows in Cinci??? Or do you travel?

I spent 5 years in Columbus (GO BUCKS!) and it barely even snowed there. Try living in Northern Ohio or Northern Indiana with only a 2-wheel drive truck. Especially if the city you live in really really sucks at plowing snow.

Like Moltenice found out - if I need to accelerate hard in the rain to merge or something I generally throw it in 4WD.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Handling is all about the tires (for sticking to the road) and shocks (for proper weight distribution)... When I switched from stock shocks to Bilsteins and put some of those Pirelli ATs instead of those horrible Generals, the truck went from loose to very sticky.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:31 PM
TNC
4WD actually does help you slow down some due to compression braking. Mostly in 4LO though. Not having to put chains or cables on in the Sierra? PRICELESS.....

Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by TNC
4WD actually does help you slow down some due to compression braking. Mostly in 4LO though. Not having to put chains or cables on in the Sierra? PRICELESS.....
And carrying chains that don't even fit your truck, because they stop you and check just to see you have them.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
Great that your learning, just know you can't go driving bat crazy with 4wd in the snow. It definitely helps, don't get me wrong, but know this...It won't help you STOP any faster. Your brakes locking up in 4wd is no different than in 2wd. This is especially true on ice.

Just kick on the 4wd, take your time, plan ahead for stops, and laugh at the clowns in the ditch who thought their 4wd was an end all to any road condition.
Yeah, thats what the owners manual says too
Last year I had to commute 40miles each way in snow, most of the time it wasnt even plowed so I had a hellish time in my car (FWD so it wasnt as bad as it could have been).. Seriously there were vehicles in the interstate median like every miles or so. Lots of trucks which suprised me. I just plan on not getting stuck whenever I come to a stop, or whenever theres a foot of snow over ice, or on any incline. I am gonna be just as careful though. I actually cant wait for the snow.....
A guy I work with said he made $1500 last year towing vehicles out of ditches. He has a last gen F150 4x4. I was intrigued.....

Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
As long as you keep the front wheels pointed in the direction you want to go you still have control over the vehicle.
Oh yeah, that is the truth. I have done alot of racing, drag, auto x, and road course so I am familiar with pushing vehicles to their limit and bringing them back, it was just with that on ramp, I wasnt expecting it nor was I trying to create that situation so it caught me off guard... Now that I know what to expect, I wont have a problem with it... hell I can see myself creating it again just for entertainment value.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by nightranger
I have considered posting something like this for a long time but just kept putting it off. I have a post on here from probably 2 years ago that is very similar. I drag race and dirt track race as well. SOooo sideways is no big deal to me, but my 04 scab is probably the worst vehicle that I have ever owned from the factory stock....as far as traction on wet roads, you simply cannot throttle this truck onto the interstate if its raining.. mind you I think its cool that you can easily air out the back end but its does suk in heavy traffic....A friend of mine was driving us to the bristol dragway for the All Ford Show and it was early in the AM and it was misting a little and we hit I81 north at the on ramp he stabbed the gas and we bout went round n round, he was like what the hell was that all about, are your tires shot or what.. ( nope ) just loose in the rain....
Yeah this truck seriously doesnt need any coercion to get that rear end sliding out. Like a light turn at the wheel and 1/4 throttle on damp ground will do it.
I think with other RWD vehicles you have better weight distribution and better traction in cases like that.

Quick Reply: Truck handling characteristics.......