2004 - 2008 F-150

Synthetic ATF - Amsoil or Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic ATF - Amsoil or Royal Purple?

So being at 125,000m+ I guess I should change my ATF. I was thinking I shoudl throw in some Synthetic, but I find out I need 16 liters!!!! So Should I go with RP or Amsoil, or doens't it matter? Too close to call? Both kick azz? Or even Mobil 1 which seems to be cheaper than both of those two. Any thoughts? @ 16L evn a couple bucks diff really adds up!!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Suspended
If you've never done your oil before I'd be leary about doing a COMPLETE flush. I'd only do a partial. I like the Royal Purple line of products personally but I don't think either would do a bad job.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm gonna put my hand up for Mobil 1

It's worked like a charm for me on many vehicles.

I don't change things that aren't broken.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Valvoline...

1/2 the $$$ of Royal Purple, probably 1/3 the $$$ of Amsoil without joining the cult...

All the benefits of quality synthetic products.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:27 PM
Motorcraft is a better value. If you have to choose between RP and Amsoil, Go amsoil. Amsoil stands behind their products.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Ilovemyford
Motorcraft is a better value. If you have to choose between RP and Amsoil, Go amsoil. Amsoil stands behind their products.
. . and how doesn't Royal Purple?

I disagree with you anyways. I use to be sponsored by Amsoil when I raced motocross and their support was garbage. . I could get better support by people and places who didn't even sponsor me.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I'd use Royal Purple or OEM before I'd go Amsoil. I can get Royal Purple on base for about 1/3 of what they want for Amsoil. Purple seems to be just as good (or better) to me.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't matter. I use Royal Purple for everything, great peace of mind but it comes at a cost for probably not much difference. I use Amsoil in my watercraft, it's 2 stroke oil so it's not a fair price comparison. Is Amsoil supposed to be better than RP? I've always looked at it like so....#3. Amsoil, #2. RP, #1. Redline.

Get a Motorcraft filter, I've had everything (K&N, Wix, etc) and the Wix was crap, the K&N was not bad, but I've had the least concern with the Motorcraft.

Last edited by Josiah; 06-30-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
It doesn't matter. I use Royal Purple for everything, great peace of mind but it comes at a cost for probably not much difference. I use Amsoil in my watercraft, it's 2 stroke oil so it's not a fair price comparison. Is Amsoil supposed to be better than RP? I've always looked at it like so....#3. Amsoil, #2. RP, #1. Redline.

Get a Motorcraft filter, I've had everything (K&N, Wix, etc) and the Wix was crap, the K&N was not bad, but I've had the least concern with the Motorcraft.
Wix is one of the best filter in the industry. K&N filtration needs improvement according to ppl in the bobistheoilguy.com forum. K&N was designed for the performance seeking driver.

Last edited by Ilovemyford; 06-30-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:51 AM
I did not try RP products, so I cannot make an informed comment about them.

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113 I disagree with you anyways. I use to be sponsored by Amsoil when I raced motocross and their support was garbage. . I could get better support by people and places who didn't even sponsor me

How does not sponsoring You (Thumper...) affect the quality of an oil? John Deere stopped sponsoring Nascar sometime ago, it did not make financial sense at the time for the company. John Deere's Farming products are still the most reliable products and supported by a top notch customer service.

Last edited by Ilovemyford; 06-30-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm running RP/motocraft filter since 5000, we will see how long the moving parts last

Old 06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
John Deere's Farming products are still the most reliable products and supported by a top notch customer service.
John Deere's products - across the board, for the most part - have copped a hammering from Consumer Reports in the last couple of years. Consumer Reports' tests have shown the "new" line of John Deere consumer products is more prone to repair and owner dissatisfaction than the previous models. They use to be on top of the food chain, so to speak, head and shoulders above for many moons but no longer.

Their customer support/service, however, is still top notch, as you noted.

Anyway, I believe Thumper was giving his first hand expereince on Amsoil's customer support as opposed to the product itself. Seeing as he was directly involved/sponsored by them, then I believe his claims are valid.

True Thumper?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Suspended
Grubrunner hit the nail on the head. Both are good products but since Royal Purple has never done me wrong with their customer service or their produts.

On a side note, threads like this are never ending. Everyone has their opinion about oils and oil filters. Its whatever works for you.

I did not try RP products, so I cannot make an informed comment about them.

How does not sponsoring You (Thumper...) affect the quality of an oil? John Deere stopped sponsoring Nascar sometime ago, it did not make financial sense at the time for the company. John Deere's Farming products are still the most reliable products and supported by a top notch customer service.
I'm not talking about the quality about their products, but the quality of the customer service.

PS: I'll stick with my Kubota. LOL!

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 06-30-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the information about John Deere's consumer product line rating By CR. That is the goal of this Forum, is to bring ppl of different walks of life to share information and baby our trucks with best fluids money can buy and keep the tradition of having Ford trucks the longest on the road. Amsoil, RP, Mobil EP, or whatever synth you put in will definitely keep the engine running trouble free for a long time.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Do an Aut RX cleaning before you change to synth. It'll give your synth the best starting point: http://www.auto-rx.com/auto-rxnet/index.html

After that, I'd go for Mobil 1 synth ATF. But Royal Purple is great too.

Quick Reply: Synthetic ATF - Amsoil or Royal Purple?