2004 - 2008 F-150

transmission temp gauge?

Old 05-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission temp gauge?

I ordered me a transmission temp gauge this week and I was curious if any one on here has installed one on these new transmissions in our trucks? is it easy? is there a hole for the sending unit in our transmissions? also now I have to deside how I can mount it so it looks good in my interior. I have seen a few mounting pods but haven't ordered me one yet. I think I would like a single piller mounted pod but haven't found one designed for our f150. found some doubled and tripples but no singles. I am tempted to get a universal one I found but not sure how good it would look. any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I'm gonna put one in mine someday. I'd think installing the sender in-line of the inlet on the cooler would give the highest reading throughout the system. Since my truck is 2WD, I think I might try mounting it where the 4WD switch would be.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Jasonkola

I would get the A-pillar double gauge pod and add a water temp as well if I were you, or some other gauge that you could use.. I myself already have the triple and it's getting painted to match the interior as I type. I also will be making use of the coin holder too, which you do not have. The a-pillar pods are nice and fit the truck nicely and there are no others to my knowledge that actually are made to fit our trucks, so you would have to make some modifications to make a good fit. www.f150store.com has doubles and triples

Scott

Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 PM
thanks guys for the input. I do not want to take the handle off my pillar as it comes in handy once in a while. installing a double or tripple would mean taking that off. I guess I will shop arround till I find something I like. as far as adding another gage I am considering that but I already have oil pressure and water temp in my gauge cluster stock with the truck they seem to work fine. I am considering one of those air fuel mix gauges. guess I will have to shop arround and see what is out there.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 PM
anybody know if there is a hole for mounting a temp sending unit on our tranny. I crawled under my truck and didn't see much on the botom half of the tranny. I couldn't see the top half or the tranny. I hope its not on the top half of the tranny as it well be vary hard to install if it is. I did find one small plug on the drivers side. I am hoping that is the spot as it will be not to hard to install it there. right next to the plug on the tranny it says "line". I am hopeing this is the spot to install it. not sure though so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Jason.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's no port on the transmission itself. The transmission does have a trans fluid temp sensor, that's mounted inside the pan. For a buffer zone, I'd try tapping into someplace where the temperature would read the highest, like before the inlet to the cooler. I suppose you could drill a hole in the pan and put the sender there too, if you wanted to, but the temps would likely read a bit lower.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:22 PM
thats unfortunate I was hopeing not to have to do any modifications like drilling a hole. oh well I guess its back to the drawing board

Old 05-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Account Deactivated at User's Request
Look for the "Line" port just above the pan...

Here's some of the pix I just added to my galleries......

Sender is on the driver side....

Check out my gallery for the interior mods I just finished. My truck is now complete. Took me two months to do what took six years on my last rig.
Latest mods include tranny temp gauge replacing 12v dash powerpoint, black door handles replace the chrome, and a strategically placed LED above the cig lighter panel. All three mods were done the same day.

(Got a single hole universal pod off ebay just in case I ran into trouble. 20 bux if you want it....)

Check out my galleries below!

Last edited by raalden; 05-25-2005 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
thanks I am glad you used the "line" port. I think I will do the same. my "line" port is on the driverside I wander if I might have missed something on the passenger side. guess I will look again. thanks

Old 05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I just did a flurry of updates to my post above. Took a pic of the sender....

Last edited by raalden; 05-24-2005 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling. That OK? ;^]
Old 05-24-2005, 10:15 PM
thanks that pic looks just like my tranny but my linkage and line out just like that pic are on the drivers side. I am a little stumped. do you think ford changed the tranny from 04 to 05. anyhow what matters is I can use that port and it should work thanks. its amazeing how much info and help we can get on these forums. thanks again

Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
There's no port on the transmission itself. The transmission does have a trans fluid temp sensor, that's mounted inside the pan. For a buffer zone, I'd try tapping into someplace where the temperature would read the highest, like before the inlet to the cooler. I suppose you could drill a hole in the pan and put the sender there too, if you wanted to, but the temps would likely read a bit lower.
It's a shame that someone doesn't make a gage that reads the sensor that's already there. My OBDII system that I use with my laptop reads the sensor output voltage and the resulting temperature. I can apply it to a digital or analog gage in the software and watch the temp but I have to have the laptop connected to do this. Not very practical. I recorded a connection a few months ago and the temp was 148.4 deg F and voltage from the sensor was 1.2146 volts. This was sitting in my driveway at idle. BTW, you wouldn't believe how much information is being monitored by the PCM like torque converter slip, tranny line pressure, output shaft speed, cylinder head temperature, the list goes on and on.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:41 AM
jasonkola...It IS the driver's side....Go for it!

Sorry!

Last edited by raalden; 05-25-2005 at 01:22 AM. Reason: I've fallen and I can't get up (senior moment)!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:24 AM
"Line In" good to go!

Getting an idea of how fast your temp is going up or down is more indicative of how your torque converter is performing rather than the exact temperature reading. About the only rule of thumb if your towing is to keep it below 220-240 for any extended length of time. This could facilitate a breakdown of tranny blood viscosity. If you're regularly exceeding such temps, make sure you change out your tranny blood more often. You won't burn up in a fiery conflagration. If you're not pulling a load, the tranny temp gauge is more a conversation piece (like a radar detector) than anything else...Looks wicked sick in the dash!....

The PCM sender is well set up to register a set parameter (good=no OBDC code....bad=OBDC code), pretty much a digital idiot light like the days of old ("Engine Hot"), etc... If you're electronically inclined you could configure a rudimentarry gauge output fed by the PCM but it's already been taken care of....The sender that will give you the goods will be calibrated to the gauge you purchase. My recommendation is either Nordskog or Dakota Digital (if you like digital). Dakota didn't come in the color I wanted for tranny temp (green), so I went with Nordskog. For analog stuff.... Autogauge.

Sorry for the "senior moment"! Port is on driver's side!

Last edited by raalden; 05-25-2005 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Duh!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I purchased an Autometer Sport-Comp transmission temp gauge for our '05 SuperCrew FX4. I found the "Line" port on the drivers side of the transmission (thanks raalden!). I pulled the factory threaded plug and my Autometer sender threaded right in! But unfortunately, the sender is too long. It bottoms out before the threads actually tighten.

I just emailed Autometer to see if they make a shorter length sender.

Does anyone know what the "Line Port" was actually designed for? When I pulled the OEM plug out, transmission fluid came out. So I know the sender will actually be sitting in transmission oil to give an accurate reading. But is it a reading of the oil in the pan? Do you really think Ford actually designed this for a temp sensor? I find it hard to believe that Ford would do that...but maybe because the threads were correct for my standard 1/8" sender! (actually the sender was a tiny bit loose, but when I put teflon tape on it, it should fit perfect)
--
Mitch
'05 SuperCrew FX4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission temp gauge?