2004 - 2008 F-150

A/C and electric fan problem (?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C and electric fan problem (?)

Last summer I installed the Troyer electric fan kit (2 x 16") and they work as expected. Shortly after the install, I noticed that the a/c would frequently blow hot air and found that the system was low on refrigerant. After filling with refrigerant everything seemed fine until the fall when I noticed the same problem again (after not using the a/c for some time--we just had a couple of warm days). I didn't do anything about it since the warm weather was over for the year and figured I'd take it to the dealer in the spring (truck is still barely under warrantee). Took it yesterday to the local deal that has adiquately serviced our Ford vehicles for years and was told that they couldn't do anything about the problem (warrantee or not) because the fans are not cooling sufficiently. They said that the a/c head pressure was pegged on their monitor at 400 (psi?) but should top out at 200-220 and was overheating and at that pressure the refrigerant would certainly find or make a leak. I've set the fan temp controllers to come on at a little lower temp than recommended now (190 instead of 205) but the problem persists although not with great frequency.

This dealership has serviced my vehicles very well over the past and I've never had an issue with their service department so at the moment, I am assuming that their diagnosis is correct. What to do, what to do...any suggestions.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:22 PM
No one else is having a similar issue or has a suggestion?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going to find this crazy but I have the exact problem. I'm a 2004 Lariat as well. I have the troyer efans as well, well actually I have been replacing the kit over the past year and now it's 100% custom running off my own relays, no longer Troyer anything. I had major problems with my fan kit.

I ran out of refrigerant myself, tried to refill it on my own with one of those cans from the store with no luck. I took it to Jiffy Lube to just have them refill it. They got pressure readings of 400psi as well, and said it should be around 200 psi. I made a post so I'm not making this up. They said it could be a clogged A/C filter, don't even know where they are. They removed the refrigerant and still charged me, that is where my problem stops because I've not taken care of it. It's blistering hot in norcal, over 100 degrees at times this week. Please keep me informed on what you find, I'd like to fix it myself but these A/C systems are sensitive without proper tools.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, I may have it licked. The past few days have been in the mid 90's and no problems. I had set BOTH fans to come on at about 180 degrees (one is always running regardless of temperature when the a/c is on). So far so good, even in extended stop-and-go city traffic. I'm assuming that the temp of the coolant in the radiator has little importance (Ford techs may correct me here) in engine operation compared to actual temperature of the engine. I'm figuring that the temporary (maybe a minute long) drop in a/c cooling that I was experiencing was when the thermostat opened and dumped 210 degree coolant into the radiator and thus not letting the fans keep the refrigerant cool enough. With the fans set at 185 they are running a little more but so far, all is well and I have NOT added any refrigerant--haven't even checked it since leaving the dealership...probably should.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:06 PM
If you're not moving or one fan is not on, then there is no air flowing through the AC condenser. This will only create hot air in the AC system.

I ran a switch to the cab to manually operate one of the fans. I turn it on when Im driving through town and stopping alot. Keep the AC Cold. The other fan is set to come on at 205*.. I rarely comes on though.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM

The A/C Condenser is in front of the radiator if I'm not mistaking, in that case wouldn't either fan cover as much of the condenser as the other if running a dual setup? Maybe a few cheap computer fans mounted to the a/c condenser with a switched on setup would work best.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I have two (2) 14" fans. Just the one 14" fan is big enough to pull a sufficient ammount of air through the radiator and condenser.

Fans on Ebay are cheap. I think I paid $50 or so for both of my fans.

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 PM
I have dual 14" fans and I changed the high speed/a-c fan location today. I put it directly on the condensor between the radiator and condensor and it barely fits but it flows air over the condensor a lot better than where it was.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by khendrix2374
I have two (2) 14" fans. Just the one 14" fan is big enough to pull a sufficient ammount of air through the radiator and condenser.

Fans on Ebay are cheap. I think I paid $50 or so for both of my fans.
My Troyer E-fan setup is no more. Every damn part on that thing went out, all at separate times. I now have $60 fans from ebay, and wired them to come on with the A/C and one is always on. I think I'm going to wire that to a switch however. The A/C doesn't even work, something is wrong so I'll have to bring it in. I can get the a/c clutch to engage temporarily, but it shuts down as the pressure gets too high. Very nice!

Old 06-24-2007, 01:22 AM
I had the same problem but I am only running 1 fan its like 20 inches and blows 5500 cfm. I had it set to 190. and it would hardly turn on and the clutch would disengage then I found out it was the A/C high pressure switch on the compressor. So I fixed it turn on fan at 160' I much rather have cold air than save like 2 hp turning on the fan later and changed the thermostat to a 160' also

Old 06-24-2007, 02:28 AM

All4ford, High pressure switch? The only thing labeled high that I'm aware of is the high side port, is that what you're talking about? I have an A/C problem myself so I want to exhaust all options before taking it in.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:57 AM
He means the high pressure switch in the A/C system. These systems apparently have a pressure sensor in the high side, and when the high side pressure gets too high, the compressor kicks off to prevent damage. Mine used to do this because the fan would kick on late according to condensor temp. It works great now that I relocated the fan, tons of air flows over the condensor now.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Its no secret that there was a problem with quite a few of the controllers on the original Troyer(Derale) fan kits, but it was resolved a few months ago with the redesign of the controllers that Mike had a lot to do with.
I have reinstalled mine and they are quite sufficent with the new controllers and mounting system.
Some one stated that they have theirs set to come on at 180 degrees, and someone said they installed a 160 thermostat? I wouldn't suggest either.
And for the Ford tech or dealer that claims 5500 cfm is not enough air flow for proper cooling, tell them to pound salt and find another place to get your service... Just one mans opinions....I find that most of the troubles mentioned here no matter where the mods were purchased, are from installer error or neglect. If you are going to add mods make sure you are competent enough to do so...Go back and read some of those threads and really look at the statments or questions that are being asked then ask yourself if the person asking them really has a clue as to what they are doing...

Old 06-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Its no secret that there was a problem with quite a few of the controllers on the original Troyer(Derale) fan kits, but it was resolved a few months ago with the redesign of the controllers that Mike had a lot to do with.
I have reinstalled mine and they are quite sufficent with the new controllers and mounting system.
Some one stated that they have theirs set to come on at 180 degrees, and someone said they installed a 160 thermostat? I wouldn't suggest either.
And for the Ford tech or dealer that claims 5500 cfm is not enough air flow for proper cooling, tell them to pound salt and find another place to get your service... Just one mans opinions....I find that most of the troubles mentioned here no matter where the mods were purchased, are from installer error or neglect. If you are going to add mods make sure you are competent enough to do so...Go back and read some of those threads and really look at the statments or questions that are being asked then ask yourself if the person asking them really has a clue as to what they are doing...

Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I have Flex-a-Lite EFan kit 270 perfect fit a/c seems fine

Quick Reply: A/C and electric fan problem (?)