2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck stalling

Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stalling

My truck has started stalling. It appears to be when I let off the gas and hit the brakes to come to a stop or slow down for a turn. It just flat out dies. i did notice that my RPM's drop as if the AC was on(I think it has actually only happened when running the AC), it's almost as if it just doesn't idle fast enough to keep running. It always starts back up. Any thoughts???
TIA

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
mines doing the same thing, now it just sits in my parking space. they told me one of the pistons had no compression. it runs like crap. cant wait to get my chevy.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Suspended
Year, motor, milage, any aftermarket items? Your going to have to actually give us some info. Its like calling your Dr and saying "Im sick, whats wrong?".

Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Year, motor, milage, any aftermarket items? Your going to have to actually give us some info. Its like calling your Dr and saying "Im sick, whats wrong?".
My bad. 04 built in 03. 62K miles. Just had the engine broken down to the heads to replace the plus so I'm pretty sure it's not the pistons. It runs fine 99.9% of the time, it just started stalling out of the blue 2-3 weeks ago. No aftermarket items that affect performance, I had a K&N filter in it but recently went back to stock. I just replaced the battery b/c the dealership said it was going bad, I didn't think it was b/c it still started just fine but with these computer ran vehicles now days I figured I would go ahead and do it. It has stalled since then 3 times. Only when letting off the gas and slowing down.

Last edited by jdeardor; 06-12-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by jdeardor
My bad. 04 built in 03. 62K miles. Just had the engine broken down to the heads to replace the plus so I'm pretty sure it's not the pistons. It runs fine 99.9% of the time, it just started stalling out of the blue 2-3 weeks ago. No aftermarket items that affect performance, I had a K&N filter in it but recently went back to stock.
How soon after the plug replacement did this problem pop up? It seems very erratic, like an electrical bug. Could have happened at the time the heads were removed. Maybe a wire of plug wasnt firmly secured. Is the engine throwing any codes when it stalls?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:58 PM
I had that problem, when i would come to a stop light the idle would go lower and lower until it would die. Ended up being a bad Throttle Body.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
It actually started it the week before I took it in for plugs(did it 3x on me and threw the MAF code), then when the dealer was test driving after plug replacement it did it to them 3x(that's why the tested the battery), I replaced the battery and it has since done it on me 3 times. All within the past 3 weeks. I was curious if maybe the vapor management valve, throttle body??? Does anyone know the cost on those items, how hard are they to swap out(or can I even do it, does a reflash have to occur). Or any other ideas?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Suspended
It actually started it the week before I took it in for plugs(did it 3x on me and threw the MAF code), then when the dealer was test driving after plug replacement it did it to them 3x(that's why the tested the battery), I replaced the battery and it has since done it on me 3 times. All within the past 3 weeks. I was curious if maybe the vapor management valve, throttle body??? Does anyone know the cost on those items, how hard are they to swap out(or can I even do it, does a reflash have to occur). Or any other ideas?
Can you get someone to pull the code? Someone on here should be able to help us determine what it is. i believe we should start replacing the things that the computer deems inoperational first

Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does this exact thing when coming to a stop and it tells me right after it dies it reads "low oil pressure" as I have the Lariat with the electronic display. Another thing that happens is if I start it up and take off right away it goes into failsafe mode as well and gives me a DTC about the throttle actuator. Anybody have an idea what it could be?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
my dad had a truck a few years ago, a 2000 f150, that did this. it ended up being an idle air control valve. I think it may be called an idle air control motor on the newer ones. just a thought.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine does the same thing (about 5 times a year) I just thought is the "super chip" but now you got me thinking. thanks

Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Same here with the stalling....

I cleaned my throttle body and move the TPS wire off the fuel rail.
No problems sense.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
My truck has started stalling. It appears to be when I let off the gas and hit the brakes to come to a stop or slow down for a turn. It just flat out dies. i did notice that my RPM's drop as if the AC was on(I think it has actually only happened when running the AC), it's almost as if it just doesn't idle fast enough to keep running. It always starts back up. Any thoughts???
TIA
My truck stalled twice just like you described about a year ago. I got the injectors cleaned and haven't had an issue since.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Suspended
Wow, a rash of the same thing! We need to get some of the senior members in here who should have some answers.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 AM
On 04's the stalling was a major issue when new. For most, mine included, a reflash cured the problem. It may be worthwhile with an 04 at least, to make sure it has been updated before swapping out parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck stalling