2004 - 2008 F-150

GM vs. Ford.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation GM vs. Ford.

Alright guys, I'll be honest. I'm i the market for a new truck. I have been loyal to GM for years, and I am a big fan of the Duramax Diesel, but its way out of my price range..... Saying that, I'm Ill impressed with there new 1/2 ton GM trucks. I have driven everything but the Titan and have narrowed it between a GMC 1500 LT2 Z71 and a FORD F-150 FX4. Now I really like the Ford truck, but I posted this same stuff on a GM forum and they basically gave me the reasone the GM is better, and why not to buy it, but I want to know the positives about the Ford. I need info on: gas mileage, how it would tow about 7,000 pounds, etc. I hear alot of about them kinda being a dog, etc (is there anything to wake them up? Thanks for the info. -Josh

Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just go watch "The Truth About Trucks"

and im sure youll be settled on Ford

Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 AM
I've watched that stuff, but I want real input from people that actually have them. Also I've heard rumors the new GM has a really small (7.5") axle underneath it in the 1/2 tons.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 AM
why go for the gm 5.3 when you can get the gm 6.0?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Budha05STX
why go for the gm 5.3 when you can get the gm 6.0?
I would like a 6.0L, but the cheapest one out of 5 dealers here in Oregon is 39,800 MSRP, and thats not even the loaded one. They are only taking about 5,000 off MSRP. I can buy a 3/4 ton with 6.0L for less than that! The F-150 is around 37,000 MSRP and I can potentially get 9,000 off of that. I dunno my hands are up in the air over it......

Old 06-12-2007, 01:24 AM
bite the bullet and get either the Duramax or a Powerstroke, 07's are going for cheap as hell right now

how often do you plan on towing 7K lbs??

Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 AM
I will never own a 6.0 Diesel....nice truck, but a bad motor. Plus I can't really afford a Diesel at this time, maybe a little later in life. I plan on towing 7K ever once in a while not like daily or anything. Toyota Scrappin rig and some quads. Play toys on some weekends....

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 AM
I have both... 06' F-150 4x4, supercab, XLT, 5.4 motor, 3.73 rearend and a 07' Chevrolet New body style 5.3 Regular cab short bed, 3.73's, LT, 4x4 Z71

I bought the Chevrolet to replace the Ford. (Although I still own both now... ) There are things I like about both trucks though. Fuel mileage is a ton better in the Chevrolet, but it has the active fuel management. It is also a regular cab versus the Ford being an extended cab, so it is a little lighter as well. Comfort, the chevy has more comfortable seats. Ford has the better rearend in my opinion. My Ford has the longest wheelbase so it is a little smoother ride. The chevrolet is a lot faster as well, some of it is due to it being a little lighter as well... The 5.3 to me, is a better engine than the 5.4. I have towed a 24' flat car trailer and my old 02' SS camaro. The Ford struggled with hills at highway speeds, BUT I was spoiled having a 3/4 ton Chevy HD that would pull stuff without being able to tell it was back there... In other words the 5.3 chevy half ton trucks probably won't impress me much either towing stuff. Either would be fine for what you are doing though.

I have had some issues with the F-150, but I am sure the Chevrolet won't be perfect either. I honestly like both trucks, so I can't tell you which one to buy. Just go drive both, and decide which one you like the best. I like the 5 year 100k mile warranty on my chevy, but I seen Ford is doing something close to that now as well. It is a toss up, but honestly.... The only trucks out there that I would consider would be the Ford or the Chevy. The other makes do NOT impress me at all.... If you have any specific questions, let me know....

Old 06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Honestly, do you think you could wait about a yr for a new truck? Ford will release the updated f150 with more powerful engine, better interior, higher towing cap. and better axles. Waiting does 2 things for you, gives you a better truck and give you time to put away more money for a greater downpayment, which will result in a lower interest rate.

If you can't wait, I'll give you what I like about my truck.
Built ford tough isn't just a motto, I beat mine like a redheaded stepchild and yes Ive had some minor problems, but it would have destroyed a chevy.

Ford always underestimates how much the truck can pull. 7k, yeah you will feel it in the truck, but you will feel that much weight in any 1/2ton. There are guys on here who have towed a couple 1000 lbs over the limit and the truck didn't even flinch.

The best test thou is see what truck is being used by people who depend on that truck for their livelyhood. Its ford 150s and super duties. Some people say that it is because fords are cheaper, but it basically comes down to options and reliabilty. They can't afford to have a truck breaking down every couple of months under their abuse and thats why they choose ford. Oil crews in the artic circle use Ford, Iraqi police use ford, most construction crews use ford, even Jack Bauer uses ford.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM
If I were you I'd find a way to get a new 6.0L but if thats out of the question than I'd get the FX4. I have a 04 w/+125,000 m and I just bought a new trailer @ 7000 loaded and I have no issues. Pulls nice. Power is not the issue, my 4 ply tires are, but I'll have a fix for that soon.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I have an '05 XLT Screw with the 5.4 and 3.73 LS. I tow about 6000 lbs with it and it tows like a dream. On flat ground, I can honestly say I forget it is there. You can feel it in the hills, but you will with any half ton. The stronger frame of the Ford makes it no-contest (IMHO) when towing is involved.

The truck rides great with or without a load and I have had no issues with the truck at all. Mine is not a dog in any way shape or form. It would run circles around my '99 F150 with the 5.4, and the '05 weighs a good 1000-1500 lbs more due to the configuration plus the strong frame on the '05.

Gas mileage, I get around 18 in 80%/20% highway/city driving mix.

I would go with the Ford, but you are the one that has to drive it and make the payments. They are both good trucks, so buy the one you like the most.

Good luck!!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Josh M
I hear alot of about them kinda being a dog, etc (is there anything to wake them up? Thanks for the info. -Josh
I ahve a friend that had an 05 chevy crew, with both trucks stock we had several runs side by side. In each on I had a nose of a lead when it was all said and done. IMO they are pretty much the same.

I had a 97 silverado and the truck had a big problem stopping problem with a load. My 150 has no problem pulling or stopping my 18' bass boat. If you are looking for fuel economy you are buying the wrong truck to start with. Both are 4wd and they both will not get great numbers in that dept.

As stated before you are the one that has to pay for it. All brands have issues and no one brand has 100% support from everyone that drives or owns them.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by texaspyro21
.......even Jack Bauer uses ford.
Actually, last season he used a Tundra

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you are posting in a Ford F150 forum, it is plenty obvious there is something pretty major about the Chevy that doesn't sit right. And for me, and 6 foot tall, 280lbs, its just that, sitting. I disagree with the fellow above that says the Chevy has more comfortable seats. maybe for his backside, but certainly not mine!

They both pretty much do the same thing, and honestly I never figured I would have ended up a Ford fan having grown up around Chevys. But my first job out of College was working for a car dealership chain which carried Pontiac / GMC in their line, and we did a LOT of business with the Ford dealer down the street. Casual observation of how busy the warrantly claims were showed there was a HUGE quality difference in favor of the Ford. I don't mean even slightly minor. The GMCs were suffereing major electrical problems, and drivetrain issues in the first few months. And the Piston Slap issue...

Now the Fords have the Spark Plug issues to deal with. 4.6L and pre 2004 5.4L engines tended to spit the spark plugs out of the heads due to insufficient threads to hold them in. And 2004-up 5.4L engines will get spark plugs stuck in them, even breaking out of the cylinder heads, if removed INCORRECTLY. There are problems with dealers not handling these problems right, but poor dealer service isn't unique to Ford, or Chevy, or even Dodge...

When I bought my F150 I really wanted either a truck like mine, or a Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 with a Hemi. A buddy of mine bought one of them. I am glad I bought my Ford!

Buy what makes you happy. For me it's my Ford. Just realize that, especially in 4x4 trim, the Chevy has some advantages (Z71 has a selectable locker) and some disadvantages (MUCH lower ground clearance, MUCH weaker axles). I parked my at the time stock '04 4x4 XLT next to a coworkers Z71 on 33s, and I still had a 2+" advantage.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
I have an '05 XLT Screw with the 5.4 and 3.73 LS. I tow about 6000 lbs with it and it tows like a dream. On flat ground, I can honestly say I forget it is there. You can feel it in the hills, but you will with any half ton. The stronger frame of the Ford makes it no-contest (IMHO) when towing is involved.
Well I work for Ford, so for me it's a no brainer. Now trying to keep that out of the equation I would say...
1) 6.0L GM
2) 5.4L Ford
3) 5.4L GM

A co-worker of mine (contract employee) drives a new Silverado and I will admit that his base line truck seats are more comfortable than my current Lariat seats; other than that I'm not too impressed with anything else on the truck over the F-150. The stock 5.3L does seem to be a bit peppier than the stock Ford 5.4L, but these modular Ford engines with the drive by wire throttle bodies really wake up with an aftermarket tuner... much more so than the GM motors do. (IMO, 5.3L vs 5.4L both stock = 5.3L win, but 5.3L vs 5.4L both with tuners = 5.4L win)

I've never towed anything w/ a GM truck, but my 5.4L 4X4 w/ 3.73 gears pulls almost 7,000lbs. quite nicely. I towed a 26 ft. boat from SE Michigan to the Florida Keys and back to Michigan twice (about 5,600 miles total). On a flat road while cruising at about 65mph you forget the boat is back there and still don't have any problems getting up over 80mph, but that's not really safe in any vehicle. Through the mountains of Tennessee and Kentucky you knew it was there, but still didn't have any issues going up some of the steep hills.

Good luck with your decision. I've been loyal to Ford long before I started working for them and plan on staying that way, but if I were for whatever reason going to buy another brand it would be a GM product.

Quick Reply: GM vs. Ford.