2004 - 2008 F-150

Making true duals look legal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making true duals look legal

For those who are in states that look for a muffler on inspections, how do y'all make it look legal? If nothing else, do cherrybombs cause the loss of power that the flowmaters are known for?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 PM
How do you make what legal?

I've never heard of power loss from Flowmasters.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Make it look like there is a muffler on there, ie fake mufflers. As for the power loss, flows cause a low end torque loss and in my opinion, kill some passing power.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Cool

Do you mean going with strait pipes? True dual exhaust would just be sperated with two: head pipes, mufflers, and tail pipes.

Flowmasters causing power loss is just a myth. Its because there are baffles in there, and they don't constrict flow like alot of people think.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Yea straight pipes is what I meant. I disagree about the lowend torque loss being myth. When compared to facotry, it is no change, but mangaflow or other systems seem to have better lowend gains which is where I want it at.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Suspended
True duals with Flowmaster Original40s will cause a slight loss in low end torque but a LITTLE bit ontop. Regardless, I think the trade for the loss of low end torque is fine since they sound so good. Besides, it'll still be legal.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I've always had power gains with my Flow's, and have never seen proof to prove otherwise. Magnaflows are just higher end glass packs, but still good mufflers. Ive never heard of fake mufflers, and if your state raquires mufflers you could try race mufflers.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Suspended
Well, I've got the exact set-up that I'm recommending so I can assure you what I'm saying is nothing but the truth. Not to mention that everyone in this town with exhaust has the same set-up and it's the same thing with every truck unless it's got enough motor to make up for the back pressure.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Loss of torque and increased top end would be the of lack of back pressure.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by '06STX
Loss of torque and increased top end would be the of lack of back pressure.
Exactly??

Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by texaspyro21
Yea straight pipes is what I meant. I disagree about the lowend torque loss being myth.
Disagree all you want, but it's science and it's true.

The more free flowing your exhaust system is, the more low end torque you loose. More backpressure in your exhaust increases the amount oxygen in your cylinder when the plug fires. At the split second when the exhaust valve closes a vacuum is created outside the combustion chamber. That slight vacuum happening 8 times whatever your RPM is adds up to a significant amount of backpressure that aids in feeding additional air into the combustion chamber from the exhaust for more power and lower emissions.

V8 running at 3,000 RPM = 4,000 vacuum pulses per second.

The faster the engine speed, the less it's a factor because the high velocity of the exhaust exiting the combustion chamber makes it harder for the vacuum to get back in against the flow.

Last edited by baja150; 06-07-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Exactly??
I thought you were trying to say that the dual flows had to much back pressure and it wasn't really making sense. My bad. I have always used single mufflers, and never really experienced the real lack of back pressure.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by baja150
Disagree all you want, but it's science and it's true.

The more free flowing your exhaust system is, the more low end torque you loose. More backpressure in your exhaust increases the amount oxygen in your cylinder when the plug fires. At the split second when the exhaust valve closes a vacuum is created outside the combustion chamber. That slight vacuum happening 8 times whatever your RPM is adds up to a significant amount of backpressure that aids in feeding additional air into the combustion chamber from the exhaust for more power and lower emissions.

V8 running at 3,000 RPM = 4,000 vacuum pulses per second.

The faster the engine speed, the less it's a factor because the high velocity of the exhaust exiting the combustion chamber makes it harder for the vacuum to get back in against the flow.
Let me explain what I am looking to do with my exhaust. i currently have a flowmater DI/DO, I am looking to replace it with something that will be louder and give better power. I know the power wont be a huge increase, but I like every bit I can get and I finally have some money again.

I should stay off the forums after long days at work, I just end up more confused than where I started. Click here.

I understand you need some backpressure to keep the air from flowing back in, but changing the muffler out for a aftermarket one shouldnt change the backpressure that much to cause enough loss of torque for the buttmeter to register when the only thing changed was the muffler. Besides, shouldn't the cats keep the backpressure up?

Last edited by texaspyro21; 06-07-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Just get the small length dual in/out magnaflow. Could find some bullets or something also i assume. They are cheap and "loud"

Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Just get the small length dual in/out magnaflow. Could find some bullets or something also i assume. They are cheap and "loud"

Make something that looks like a mufflers and build it around your straight pipe. I have a set up like that on an old camaro. It LOOKS like there are mufflers there, but it's really just mufflers I cut in half and ran the straight pipes through so I could say "LOOK officer, there are mufflers under there".

Got me out of at LEAST 4 tickets driving my dragger to the track, nothing subtle about a straight piped 427

Quick Reply: Making true duals look legal