2004 - 2008 F-150

Making true duals look legal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspyro21
Let me explain what I am looking to do with my exhaust. i currently have a flowmater DI/DO, I am looking to replace it with something that will be louder and give better power. I know the power wont be a huge increase, but I like every bit I can get and I finally have some money again.

I should stay off the forums after long days at work, I just end up more confused than where I started. Click here.

I understand you need some backpressure to keep the air from flowing back in, but changing the muffler out for a aftermarket one shouldnt change the backpressure that much to cause enough loss of torque for the buttmeter to register when the only thing changed was the muffler. Besides, shouldn't the cats keep the backpressure up?
First of all the link you had to the post was a vender trying to sell. They don't have any Flows on their site so im sure they will put them down as much as possible.

Last time I checked backpressure helped torque and hurt top end HP. Yet everybody says the lose torque because the flowmaster baffles/chambers, and the baffles and chambers are what create the little backpressure needed. Some people seem to have it backwords. It can't have backpressure and cause torque loss.

If you want loud though, don't even look at magnaflow unless its a race muffler, or a magnaflow magpak. Or you can just not use mufflers.

Last edited by '06STX; 06-08-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baja150
More backpressure in your exhaust increases the amount oxygen in your cylinder when the plug fires. At the split second when the exhaust valve closes a vacuum is created outside the combustion chamber. That slight vacuum happening 8 times whatever your RPM is adds up to a significant amount of backpressure that aids in feeding additional air into the combustion chamber from the exhaust for more power and lower emissions.
Where "outside the combustion chamber" is this supposedly helpful vacuum created? If it's downstream of the exhaust it sure can't help charge the cylinder, because the valve is closed. And since it is the inertia of the air that helps maximize charging the cylinder with air (due to it's speed rushing into the cylinder) backpressure while the valve is in the process of closing would slow down the speed of the incoming air, and hurt that air charging process. My understanding is you want the lowest backpressure possible at all times, to flow as much fresh air into the cylinder and scavenge all possible exhaust gases. Tuned exhaust counts on the low-pressure pulse reducing the backpressure even further, helping pull maximum flow through the cylinder. Those low-pressure pulses are from an "echo" from the exhaust tip or bouncing back from a major diameter change or another cylinder.

Any link or documented basis for your claim? I definitely would be interested, because I've never heard a credible "backpressure is good" concept and I can't picture the mechanics of it working.

Quick Reply: Making true duals look legal