2004 - 2008 F-150

Flood, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flood, now what?

I've got an issue that's driving me insane. Left Pittsburgh yesterday for Tucson for my sister's wedding. Got a call after I landed that a heavy downpour flooded my basement and backyard. The water rose high enough in the back yard to get up to the bottom of the doors, but luckily not into the trucks. The car in the garage wasn't so lucky, muddy water about 3 inches deep on the floorboards. So being all this way away from home is killin me, seems everything in the basement is a loss and I've got no flood insurance, renter's won't cover it either. My concern for my truck and my gf's is what the water could have done to them. Do I need to drain the rear diff on them, oil, tranny fluid, etc? Neither of them have been submerged in water in the past so I don't have a clue. Just got too many issues right now and trying to sort them out as best as I can before I get back.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:50 AM
If you have full coverage on the vehicles it should be covered. The will normally total a flooded car. If not I would drain all the lube fluids to mack sure the water did not get in there. You don't want to start driving it then find out that the water had gotten in the trans, motor, diff, etc.

You also can check around in your area there should be someone that sells cars that have been total due to flooding. Most of the ones around here share what they do with people the have issues with vehicles not fully insured.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
From what you're telling me I'd say your truck is probably fine. At worst, maybe change-out the rear differential fluid.

But if your girlfriends car had several inches of mud inside the vehicle -- let's just say that even if insurance paid to repair it, I'd dump that thing faster than a fat girl at a super-model convention.......

Old 06-02-2007, 10:34 AM
TNC
I'd second the opinion on your truck. My '97 was door sill deep everytime I launched my jet skiis and was up to the doors in sand and silt during a flash flood on Lake Mojave. You could change the diff. fluid if it's almost time anyway. I'd also dump the gf's car. Good luck. Never take a fat chick to a supermodel convention......

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Finally starting to get things sorted out. The car was totaled, the adjuster opened the car door and that's all he needed to see. He said when the insides take water they just write em off, even if it was an 07 with 3 miles. Been going crazy looking for a replacement, trying to talk my buddy into letting go of his 3 series.

About 2-3" more inches and the truck would've been totaled out as well. Driven it a few times and everything feels ok. I had one instance where the tranny did something real funny. It happened so fast, stomped on it in traffic to get over and there was a pause, then a bang, then it took off. What types of symptoms would pop up if the rear diff needs drained. Truck has 13,6xx miles so it's a ways off from needing the change. Between trying to put the house back together, searching for a new house and looking for a car, time just hasn't been on my side to spend with the truck.

Quick Reply: Flood, now what?