2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2004 has 275,000 miles on it now. Its been retired to snowplow duty and work chores around home moving trailers, etc. The Raptor replaced it's daily driving chores.

BT

Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Bought my 2005 FX4 SuperCrew in July of 07 w/ 11,000k miles on it. I've had 2 window regulators go and the electronic fuel control module die. Otherwise (knock on wood) nothing else major.

Getting ready to roll past the 100k mark in the next week or so. I'd like to get another 100k out of it.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 AM
My 04 has about 59K miles on it. Since my mustang (was my daily driver for about 2 years) is now my show car..the F150 is now the daily driver. I need to change the oil and fuel filter soon. Other than a small leak in my power steering lines...everything is still running good...(knock on wood).

Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Only some small problems

My F150 is an 04 and has 69,000 miles on it. The known problems that it has right now are a leak somewhere that water settles under the passenger floorboard carpet and in the doorsill area (I've resealed the 3rd brake light and the heater core or a/c is not clogged) so I'm not sure what the problem is.

The air conditioning has been recharged yet it still doesn't get very cold.

The power sliding window motor gets stuck. You have to fold down the middle arm rest and hit the motor while pushing the button for it to get unstuck.

The automatic dimmer on the rearview mirror always stays on and will not go off.

These are all pretty minor problems and am very happy with my pickup.

I have searched these forums for a long time and can't find fixes for the water leakage. If anyone has any quick fixes for these problems, please let me know.

Also, who thinks I need a leveling kit on the truck?? and what size would be good?

Thanks, Ryan

http://mail-attachment.googleusercon...5i42w&sadssc=1

Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Sold at 186,000 miles

Well she's gone. 186,000 miles of mostly trouble free miles. Best vehicle I ever owned. Still looked great inside and out and running great. Yes I had the cam phaser ticking, the back electric slider only worked occasionally. Most repair dollars were spent over the years on keeping up with the front suspension upper and lower control arms and joints wearing out out, but I consider that a planned wear item. Sold her for $8000.00 cash and kissed her good bye. Thank you f150 online I couldn't have done it without you!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I have searched these forums for a long time and can't find fixes for the water leakage. If anyone has any quick fixes for these problems, please let me know.

Sounds like it's the water coming back up the A/C drain hose from the engine compartment. I'll PM you the link for the technical article and you can see if that may be your problem

Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Well, I bought my 04 in the beginning of this year with 85k. It's my 5th f-150, so i kind of knew what the previous owner had neglected....

1. Inner and outer tierods, 2. Lower Sway arm attachments to Lower A frames, 3. lower Ball Joints, 4. Shocks (front and rear) 5. New Clarion Radio/CD/MP3 player, 6. Front End Alignmet and all 4 wheel balance, 7. Remove and replaced Front and Rear Diff. Oil. 8. Removed and Replaced Transfercase fluid. 9. Overhaul Emergency Brakes and replace shoes, 10. Front calipers and Pads, 11. Change Brake Fluid, 12. Light/Sun Sensor, 13. HeadLight Switch 14. Purchase new FOB and program security module w/key pad code.

The only thing still have not figured out is my damn Auto Lights (Headlight activates but no other lights outside or inside illuminate) not working. The only thing I have not checked out with this discrepancy is the MFS, but as all the functons work, I can't imagine it inhibiting the Auto lights. Security Module is reading good as well.

Having said all that, She drives and rides like a Cadillac, is capable of handling 4 off-Road race bikes with hitch dolly, and provides 1000s of miles of safe and worry free service every week.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 PM
my 04 has just under 104k miles now, and its been a great truck! bought it just over a year ago with 88k and all its needed since then was the plugs changed and a new motor for the rear drivers side window. love this truck, its my baby!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Just picked up a '04 XLT Supercab this week with 253k on the clock. The truck is in really amazing condition and better repair than trucks I looked at with less than half the miles.

Plus the price was right. We'll see how it holds up, but I am hopeful I can get another 150k on it.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 AM
If you don't mind my asking

Originally Posted by Surf Rig
Well she's gone. 186,000 miles of mostly trouble free miles. Best vehicle I ever owned. Still looked great inside and out and running great. Yes I had the cam phaser ticking, the back electric slider only worked occasionally. Most repair dollars were spent over the years on keeping up with the front suspension upper and lower control arms and joints wearing out out, but I consider that a planned wear item. Sold her for $8000.00 cash and kissed her good bye. Thank you f150 online I couldn't have done it without you!
If it was the best you ever owned, why'd you end up selling?

I understand if you don't want to answer as my asking you this might not be proper or even a bit invasive, but I am just a little curious

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
Just picked up a '04 XLT Supercab this week with 253k on the clock. The truck is in really amazing condition and better repair than trucks I looked at with less than half the miles.

Plus the price was right. We'll see how it holds up, but I am hopeful I can get another 150k on it.
Wow! I don't think I would even consider looking at something with that many miles on er, not knowing how it was maintained and all, but that said, my '05 has 205,653 hard working miles that I alone put on it and is still going strong, so..... Hell, I still enjoy getting in it, firing it up and running down the road in her, for me, it's just that satisfying and comfortable to be driving something so dependable and fun. There's not too many people out there that can say that about a vehicle they've had or driven as long as I have this one. I'm hoping to get another 200,000 out of her which I don't see much of a problem with.

On a side note, I did have to get the trans rebuilt at 195,000, and I've said it before on here, that didn't bother me at all since this is a work truck, I figured it would have gone much sooner than that, and even though the gear drum cracked when it gave out, the truck has NEVER left me sitting on the side of the road. Even with a sick transmission, this truck went another 50 miles and still got me home. Love my truck!

Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 AM
I got a huge stack of records with mine. It had the Trans redone at 179k. It was a salesman's truck and he drove it from Modesto to Newark everyday for work, about 160 miles round trip daily.

The thing runs like a top, I could roll back the odo to 120k and you would never guess.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
I got a huge stack of records with mine. It had the Trans redone at 179k. It was a salesman's truck and he drove it from Modesto to Newark everyday for work, about 160 miles round trip daily.

The thing runs like a top, I could roll back the odo to 120k and you would never guess.
That's good to hear you have maintenance records on the truck. My friend who's certified ASE did the rebuild of my trans and all it cost me was the price of the rebuild kit and a gear drum so it was $760, felt like I dodged a bullet in this case, since I did take it to a trans shop to have it diagnosed and they quoted me $1850 for a complete rebuild out the door which really is about average for a job like that parts and labor. Now the funny thing is, my buddy tells me that the trans is stronger now than factory, I don't know how true that is, I do know that it still has to be well maintained with regular fluid and filter changes if I want it to last me awhile. Good luck with your "new" truck and enjoy the ride, I know I do

Edit: And welcome to the site, stick around awhile. I feel like this site is responsible, actually I know this site is the reason my truck has lasted this long and is so much fun to drive, there are a lot of good folks on here with good, sound information on our trucks, so heed what they have to say and advise

Last edited by mitch150; 07-08-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Already replaced a burnt out map light and two burnt out dash lights with help from this site.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
My 04 still runs like a hoss and will pull anything I put behind it, haven't had to deal with those tricky plugs yet though

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?