2004 - 2008 F-150

any fix for bumper rust due to road salt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any fix for bumper rust due to road salt?

if rust is present on the bumper and eventually made the paint bubble and crack/peel, what are my chances of stopping or preventing the rust from forming again? what if i were to have them painted, would rust eventually eat through the new paint sooner or later? if anyone has dealt with this issue please let me know. thanks!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pardon me for askin, but since when is there any road salt in Hawaii?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Pardon me for askin, but since when is there any road salt in Hawaii?
How about SALT WATER.... Even salt is in the air....

Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bewtew
if rust is present on the bumper and eventually made the paint bubble and crack/peel, what are my chances of stopping or preventing the rust from forming again? what if i were to have them painted, would rust eventually eat through the new paint sooner or later? if anyone has dealt with this issue please let me know. thanks!
Remove the oxidized material, and seal it well enough to prohibit oxygen (the air) and oxidizers (salt, water, etc...) from contacting the metal.

I am a little stumped by this particular question in the 2004 & Up F150s forum though. I wouldn't think the truck had enough time to get ocean air cancer unless you do a LOT of driving on the beach, and fail to wash the underside of your truck thoroughly as soon as you get home... If that's the case you'll be saying bye bye to your floorboards soon too... I know from personal experience with my old Jeep. Trust me on this, if you get the truck in salty sand, road salt, or salt water. WASH THE UNDERSIDE OF THE TRUCK as soon as you can. I have a B&D pressure washer with soap attachment. It takes a LONG time to get it all cleaned off sometimes. But it is MUCH less hassle than having to cut out a panel and weld a new one in!

Quick Reply: any fix for bumper rust due to road salt?