2004 - 2008 F-150

Exterior Temperature Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine is somewhat intermittent as well. In fact, it seems to work quite well in the mornings (typically within a few degrees of what I'm able to pull up on my PDA -- which is 15 minute old data max). In the afternoons though, it's a different story. I'm going to guess an average of about 7 to 12 degrees of variation.

I'll get it swapped... I *do not* want a PCM flash to correct it though. Grrr!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll look at mine today and see if there's anything obvious. I guess a PCM flash, after I remove the SuperChip, would be OK. I just hate to pay the dealer for ANYTHING! Had too many issues over the years with things they charged for not getting done, I'm cynical.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Bryndon
I'll look at mine today and see if there's anything obvious. I guess a PCM flash, after I remove the SuperChip, would be OK. I just hate to pay the dealer for ANYTHING! Had too many issues over the years with things they charged for not getting done, I'm cynical.

I'm kind of like you... I don't want to go to the stealership unless it's the ABSOLUTE LAST CHOICE. Like many, I've been hustled there and truly believe that many decisions at *some* dealerships are made solely upon what it does to the bottom line and not so much as for what it does for the customer.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Amen Brother! Not all are that way, but I struggle to find the good ones.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Moderator &

Amen Brother! Not all are that way, but I struggle to find the good ones.

... and it's the bad ones that ruin the good ones and leaves us -- as a customer -- struggling to find any faith or comfort level with any of them.

That's why I wish Quintin was at my local dealership. I don't mind paying for a "Ford Technician" but, I want one I can trust. Quintin would get my business all day long without a second of hesitation -- well, other than the Ford Service standard hourly rate.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM
That's a fact!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
... and it's the bad ones that ruin the good ones and leaves us -- as a customer -- struggling to find any faith or comfort level with any of them.

That's why I wish Quintin was at my local dealership. I don't mind paying for a "Ford Technician" but, I want one I can trust. Quintin would get my business all day long without a second of hesitation -- well, other than the Ford Service standard hourly rate.
I completely agree. I find that the service at all of the dealers in my area leaves a lot to be desired. Most of my dealers can't even tell me the exact thickness left on my rotors, and guesses on my brake pads. This is even after I've expressly asked to know those figures. One SA went so far as to tell me that if I wanted to know my tire depth, I should buy MY OWN tire tread depth gauge. Sure, I should have one, but for him to tell me that?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok guys, here it is... I unplugged the sensor, cleaned the terminals, added some more dielectric grease and plugged it back in. It seems to be back to normal. Very strange!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Moderator &

Ok guys, here it is... I unplugged the sensor, cleaned the terminals, added some more dielectric grease and plugged it back in. It seems to be back to normal. Very strange!

...I'll ask you here too.

Does that mean that you just unplugged the sensor that is behind the grille? Thanks!!!

-RP-

Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RP,

Sorry it took me so long to catch this post, but here's a picture of the sensor. Please note that I've re-mounted it on my truck to make the bracket I fabricated for my driving lights look a bit more professional. Here's the sensor though:

Another thing you might want to think about is whether or not you really have a sensor problem. For instance, sometimes mine gives me some silly sounding readings too. Think about it though. The sensor is located under the hood - tucked in there with a (generally) hot engine and radiator. Could it just be reading the actual temperature under the hood as opposed to ambient outdoor temperature - until you drive the truck a bit and get some air flowing by it? That's been my conclusion.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
since the sensor is basically a resistor then it makes sense that cleaning the connector contacts could fix the problem.

also, the temp sensor is tied to the automatic climate control. i had an 04 and the sensor went bad, hi and low, this caused the climate control to not control the ac correctly.

and i here you on the dealers. i have oasis ford about 2 miles from me on rt 9 and i wouldnt take my truck there for the free warranty. i would rather pay for the repairs or do it myself and buy the parts. i heard some really bad stories about that dealership as well as personal experiences. the only good ford dealer around here closed. unless i decide to go gmc or chevy i think ive got a long term ford.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Moderator &

Thanks guys. Great information. I sincerely appreciate the photo!

As for temperature reading... I concur on the notion that it could be reading internal temps when not moving. The problem is that mine is irradic at highway speeds after moving for several tens of minutes. Hence, I'd really think that the engine compartment temps would have regulated and you'd be reading true ambient air versus backflow heat. *shrugs*

projectmech -- when you say 'cleaning the connector', do you mean simply 'unplugging the plug' and cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner or similar or are you talking about disassembling the actual sensor and cleaning it -- somehow.

Just curious as to how I should proceed on trying to tweak this myself. I have 3500 left on the warranty ticker and want to make sure this is taken care of on this side of my warranty (that is, if I can't fix it).

Thanks fellas...

-RP-

Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
yup, the contacts in the connector. it has a rubber oring in there to stop water and corrosion but thats not alway 100%. working on a plane we usually have 2 systems, lets just say the comms (radios). they complain about a problem and to isolate it with some quick troubleshooting we swap the boxes. problem goes away very often. that would usually be attributed to the reracking cleaning off the pins. when that occurs we pull the box back out and hit it with some contact cleaner

Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 PM
That's the connector in front of the rad. Unplugged, wiped it off with a rag, added some dielectric grease, and reconnected. Working great!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Moderator &

Dumb questions forthcoming... please don't flame me.

How in the heck do you get that sensor off of the connector!? Great googly moogly... I spent 30 mins trying to pry the clips over the little humps on the side and still never got the darn thing to come off so that I could clean the connections. Anyone have a trick? I need 3 hands, I think ... and my wife couldn't pull the connector apart (I know... I know...).

Secondly... where does one come up with di-electric grease? I obviously don't want to buy a tube of it -- just a little dab (since that'll do me).

Thanks fellas...

-RP-

Quick Reply: Exterior Temperature Sensor Location