2004 - 2008 F-150

True Dual Exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Dual Exhaust???

Another question for you all. Done a few searches on this, not a whole lot of information. Probably should post this in exhaust but i want to here from guys who own the newer model f-150's.

So what is the deal with true dual exhaust? Is there any significant advantage as compared to a cat back exhaust? What is "h" pipes and "x" pipes in the first place and what do they have to do with true dual exhaust?
If i went to a muffler shop and said put true duals on would they know what the heck i was talking about and would it be possible they did something that would affect the check engine light coming on and what not?

For all you would be repliers to say something about the search button, dont bother....gotta get some posts some how. that way i can be in the senior member club with you all

Old 03-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Ok, basically from what I know, I may be wrong so someone correct me if im wrong, TRUE DUAL EXHAUST - is two indivisual pipes running from seperate manifolds and never meet with no muffler "Straight Pipe", Dual Exhaust - is the same thing, but runs into two mufflers. an X-PIPE - is basically what it looks like an X that you weld in between duals to combine the two for more airflow. A Y-PIPE - is used to combine two pipes to run into a single muffler. If you go to a reputable exaust shop and ask for true duals they should know what your talking about.

Old Setup "DUAL EXHAUST" Flowmaster 40's

New Setup "TRUE DUAL EXHAUST"

Last edited by FX4REACTION1; 03-30-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Suspended
FX4REACTION1 is right.

True dual exhaust deletes the factory Y-Pipe and devotes a pipe to each manifold and than into a muffler(s). A X-Pipe is a piece of pipe that looks like a X that connects the two pipes and than go into the muffler(s). A H pipe is the same thing except it looks like a H instead of a X. Tell the exhaust shop you want true duals keeping your cats; ie. catalytic converters. If they don't understand that than yikes!

Anyways, here is a picture of my true dual set-up. I'm running into two seperate Flowmaster Originals.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ X2 ^^^

... Just like to add that using an X-pipe is preferred. Better cylinder scavenging and improved sound. Mount the X as close to the front of the system as possible to utilize the energy best.

Also, avoid the temptation to oversize the piping - 2.25-2.5" max for duals to keep gas velocity high, and hence low-end torque from degrading.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
FX4REACTION1 is right.

True dual exhaust deletes the factory Y-Pipe and devotes a pipe to each manifold and than into a muffler(s). A X-Pipe is a piece of pipe that looks like a X that connects the two pipes and than go into the muffler(s). A H pipe is the same thing except it looks like a H instead of a X. Tell the exhaust shop you want true duals keeping your cats; ie. catalytic converters. If they don't understand that than yikes!

Anyways, here is a picture of my true dual set-up. I'm running into two seperate Flowmaster Originals.

hey thumper, can you send some more pics of the exhaust system? i'm think ing of this system for my 06

Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey,
In the examples above, do any of these variations have significant impact on fuel use and emission testing? I live in a city that does strict testing.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Suspended
FX4REACTION1:

Both of those are true dual set-ups. Its just your new set-up is a true dual/straight pipe set-up otherwise you hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by MGDfan

... Just like to add that using an X-pipe is preferred. Better cylinder scavenging and improved sound. Mount the X as close to the front of the system as possible to utilize the energy best.

Also, avoid the temptation to oversize the piping - 2.25-2.5" max for duals to keep gas velocity high, and hence low-end torque from degrading.
Exactly, you touched a point that I forgot to mention. My pipe size is 2.25" and even with my "Slowmasters" I didn't notice too much of a low end torque loss.

I'd like to do a X-Pipe but was worried that my pipes are set too far apart? How would they handle something like this? My exhaust shop also told me that a X-Pipe would help performance but with a 6000# truck it wouldn't be worth the money.

Trending Topics

Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by medic2586
hey thumper, can you send some more pics of the exhaust system? i'm think ing of this system for my 06
Sure.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'd like to do a X-Pipe but was worried that my pipes are set too far apart? How would they handle something like this? My exhaust shop also told me that a X-Pipe would help performance but with a 6000# truck it wouldn't be worth the money.
You could have then put in an H-pipe instead of the X-pipe, since an H-pipe will do basically the same thing. On old muscle cars and older trucks you will see alot more H-pipes, because with the older vehicles you were able to run pipes down each side of the vehicle, and since the tranny is inbetween the 2 pipes most people would install the H because of the distance.

And Thump is right about both of FX4reaction1's setup being true duals, just one of which is straight pipe. It is still called a true dual system even if there is mufflers, H-pipe or X-pipe, as long as both manifolds are going into a 2 different pipes and not into a Y-pipe it a true dual system.

Last edited by PHS79; 03-30-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by PHS79
You could have then put in an H-pipe instead of the X-pipe, since an H-pipe will do basically the same thing. On old muscle cars and older trucks you will see alot more H-pipes, because with the older vehicles you were able to run pipes down each side of the vehicle, and since the tranny is inbetween the 2 pipes most people would install the H because of the distance.
I'm thinking about that as well. . I'm going to have my mufflers put closer to the motor and my tips about where my mufflers are now and do a H pipe as well. I really like the sealth look. .

Old 03-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by PHS79
They [cross-over pipes as they're often refered to as] do NOT basically do the same thing.

Very little is similar when it comes to performance or sound. The only common ground they have is both are designed to balance the exhaust pressure and expel burnt gases. It's apples and oranges after this.

A H-Pipe will give you a little more low-end torque [some say considerably more] with a more "throaty" or "muscle-car" sound. Their drawback is if you were to measure ponies on a dyno, almost always, the numbers will be lower - all things equal - when compared to an X-Piped vehicle.

An X-Pipe will give you more ponies but [considerably] lower low-end torque. It will produce the [irritable IMHO] "raspy" or "clattery" sounding exhaust tune. An X-Pipe is also the common choice for those with the "straight-through" muffler design as opposed camber designed mufflers which are favored by those wanting the H-Pipe.

It really comes down to horses for courses and where your priorities and tunes [preferences] lie.

I learnt a lot about these after researching, asking questions and picking the brains of those in the know before I went one way for my 2004 GTO.

Good luck in your choice.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
They [cross-over pipes as they're often refered to as] do NOT basically do the same thing.

Very little is similar when it comes to performance or sound. The only common ground they have is both are designed to balance the exhaust pressure and expel burnt gases. It's apples and oranges after this.

A H-Pipe will give you a little more low-end torque [some say considerably more] with a more "throaty" or "muscle-car" sound. Their drawback is if you were to measure ponies on a dyno, almost always, the numbers will be lower - all things equal - when compared to an X-Piped vehicle.

An X-Pipe will give you more ponies but [considerably] lower low-end torque. It will produce the [irritable IMHO] "raspy" or "clattery" sounding exhaust tune. An X-Pipe is also the common choice for those with the "straight-through" muffler design as opposed camber designed mufflers which are favored by those wanting the H-Pipe.

It really comes down to horses for courses and where your priorities and tunes [preferences] lie.

I learnt a lot about these after researching, asking questions and picking the brains of those in the know before I went one way for my 2004 GTO.

Good luck in your choice.
Grubrunner, so basically I would want a X-pipe instead of an H-pipe My truck already has a very low rumble sound which i love but wouldn't mind it sounding a little lower I dont like the raspy sounding exhaust which is why I went with straight pipe

Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
can anyone show me a pic of an "x" pipe and an "h" pipe?
thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 02:12 PM
woops forgot to ask this also in my last post....does tips have any bearing on sound? a buddy of mine told me the tips that have the ends kind of rolled are better sounding. any truth to this? also i see the pics on these posts with short tips coming right off the muffler and pointing down right under the truck. is this done just so you dont see your tips on back or side of the truck or is there peformance/sound gains by this set up?
again thanks for all your helpfull posts

Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 PM
X-PIPE

H-PIPE

There ya go

Quick Reply: True Dual Exhaust???