2004 - 2008 F-150

Racing House Halo's are leakers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ehh... not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I have emailed the seller to inquire about what options that I have...

I *did not* put silicone on the lights before putting them on the truck. Like the OP's opinion, I didn't think that I should have to work on the lights before I put them on the truck - they should come in working order and should not leak under any circumstance.

One option that I mentioned to the seller was that he partially refund my money and I'd keep the set. I love the looks of these lights and am willing to work through keeping them on the truck (did I mention I love the look?) but, I'm not willing to hang on to them even if they continue to leak. In short, I proposed that he partially refund the $, I move forward with drying them out and then sealing them myself but, if they still leak beyond the sealing, that I return them for the reamaining portion of the price that I paid (and him cover the cost of return again).

We'll see how it goes... if he doesn't bite on that option, I'm pushing for a full refund w/ him covering the return.

-RP-

Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Ehh... not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I have emailed the seller to inquire about what options that I have...

I *did not* put silicone on the lights before putting them on the truck. Like the OP's opinion, I didn't think that I should have to work on the lights before I put them on the truck - they should come in working order and should not leak under any circumstance.

One option that I mentioned to the seller was that he partially refund my money and I'd keep the set. I love the looks of these lights and am willing to work through keeping them on the truck (did I mention I love the look?) but, I'm not willing to hang on to them even if they continue to leak. In short, I proposed that he partially refund the $, I move forward with drying them out and then sealing them myself but, if they still leak beyond the sealing, that I return them for the reamaining portion of the price that I paid (and him cover the cost of return again).

We'll see how it goes... if he doesn't bite on that option, I'm pushing for a full refund w/ him covering the return.

-RP-
Did you take any pics of these lights, I want to take a look at them on your truck. In Petersons off-road mag. this month they showed a new product toward the back of the mag that bonds plastics together. Might be something to look at to help you along on these lights.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Moderator &

Haven't taken any pics yet... sorry.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Moderator &

Set #2 is going back.

The seller gave me the option to attempt to seal them and, if that didn't work, he'd still take them back.

It rained pretty hard today -- they've leaked. They're going back.

I'm disgusted with this situation... very irritating. I love the look but, the hastle isn't worth it.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
sorry bud... but atleast he's working with you :o

Old 04-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Set #2 is going back.

The seller gave me the option to attempt to seal them and, if that didn't work, he'd still take them back.

It rained pretty hard today -- they've leaked. They're going back.

I'm disgusted with this situation... very irritating. I love the look but, the hastle isn't worth it.
Hey RP I'll take the blame for this..... but I hope you get a good set!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
Hey RP I'll take the blame for this..... but I hope you get a good set!
Not your fault, man. I am glad that he's willing to work with me on this but, it's certainly a hastle.

I'm going to try ONE more set. They leak, I'm done.

They're definitely el-cheapo made but, I like the look and they're definitely a head snapper. As such, I'm willing to TRY to make them work. I refuse to put $200ish down on the table and have leakers though.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Not that you should... but why not just silicone them to prevent it... you shouldn't have to, but if you like them so much why not work with the product... I did that before even washing them... and haven't gotten anything yet... :knock on wood: Hope you get a good set...

Old 04-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by DTheobald
Not that you should... but why not just silicone them to prevent it... you shouldn't have to, but if you like them so much why not work with the product... I did that before even washing them... and haven't gotten anything yet... :knock on wood: Hope you get a good set...
I see where your coming from with this D, But its true he paid for something and expects for them to be good, I say try another set and if that doesn't work try some of the things people have been telling you rock.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by DTheobald
Speaking abou the second set here....

I drove in light rain with them the day after I put them on. They leaked. As such, I contacted the seller and asked for permission to attempt to seal them but, if the sealing didn't work (as I'm no Bob Vila with a caulk gun) I asked to still be able to return them.

He agreed.

I dried out set #2 with a hair drier and a LOT of patience. Neither assembly had *any* free moisture in them. I allowed them to sit over night to ensure dryness. The next morning (last Saturday), I smeared a bead of Silicone I (GE) along all of the clear plastic/black plastic junctions. I spent nearly an hour per headlight trying to make sure I did it clean and did it effectively.

They still leaked (not nearly as bad but, they leaked).

So, I'm either lousy with Silicone unless they're on my computer screen ( ) or they're leaking from somewhere else - either/or is a possibility.

Plus, like was mentioned, I struggle to really 'modify' a new product to work. It should be functional out of the box with no problems. I'm on set #2 now - getting ready to go to set #3 -- it just seems like there are bigger issues.

-RP-

Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Moderator &

Last update on this...

The seller agreed to refund half of my purchase price (including shipping) and allow me to keep the second leaky set. In turn, I'm done asking for a replacement set and/or a refund. Kind of a 'win/win', I suppose... well, I guess he won more so than me.

Anyway -- I'm going to experiment with a few things on this set in an effort to better waterproof them. They didn't leak at all in the last rain event -- it wasn't a ultra-wet one though - more of a light rain with lots of road spray and such.

Any other ideas beyond silicone that I should consider? I've seen a few products at Lowe's that mention plastic sealing. It looks kind of like epoxy (2-part in one syringe. Anyone tried anything like that on plastics?

Duke - are you out there? What did you use on your HID conversion?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I've had good luck with windshield sealer on my Depo's, found at any parts store.

I have no clue what these look like on the back side, but is it possible the bulb connectors aren't seating correctly? Got a feeling that's not the case if you got moisture after a rain, but if they're fogged in the morning it could be a problem area.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by scorpio333
I've had good luck with windshield sealer on my Depo's, found at any parts store.

I have no clue what these look like on the back side, but is it possible the bulb connectors aren't seating correctly? Got a feeling that's not the case if you got moisture after a rain, but if they're fogged in the morning it could be a problem area.

Very good thought but, I've pulled each and every bulb out when they've been wet -- and even once after a heavy rain driving event -- and none were wet but for immeditately around the seal... (ie: it didn't appear that it was coming in around the seal itself).

On the first set, I actually took a hair dryer and blew along the portion where the clear plastic and black plastic converge.... it blew water droplets back and up into my housings that were stuck along that seam.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RP, I'd love to see more pics of your setup with those installed. How is the cutoff with them?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:27 PM
If they're wet inside and you are going to have to dry them anyway, I would fill them with water and see exactly where they were leaking from as it reappeared on the outside.

That would give you a better starting point as to where you needed to focus your attention and perhaps what product would best serve as a fix.

Quick Reply: Racing House Halo's are leakers...