2004 - 2008 F-150

Quintin and all Ford techs: please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be sorry, you'tre totally helping me out. Thanks again, hopefully I can get to testing this out soon. 12 hr days are killing me at work.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:25 AM
You should get a set of these factory manuals I got mine for about $65.00 on ebay. The only one I did not get is the wiring diagram book. I personly dont like the chilton or hanyes manuals because they dont cover everything. heres one on ebay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...mZ220095569333

and here is the wiring book.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...mZ220095502966

Last edited by highridin4x4; 03-28-2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ain't forgot about you either, will update in the morning. Stand by.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by xlint1
Not sure if you read my first post, but here it is. 04 F150 XLT 5.4L 2 WD My batt. light came on when I was going to work. I drove with the light on to get a new battery hoping that was it, it wasn't. I got home and put the multimeter across the battery, it read 12.1v. So I ordered, and then replaced the alternator. I put the multimeter on it, and it's charging 14.6v. BUT the batt. light is still on!! Using my Diablo tuner diagnostics, it showed a P0622- general field terminal circuit and a P1000- OBD systems readiness test not complete. I checked the wires and all are good. I tested the wires all the way to the box mounted on the firewall and the fusible link is fine. Everything is working, so I don't think it's a fuse. Is it possible my computer got toasted since the alt. quit charging and I kept driving it? (prob. around 19 mi. with it on) Thanks
Okay, first thing's first, did you put a Ford or an aftermarket alternator on it?

What's your voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at around 2000 RPM?

With the key on and the engine off, disconnect the connector at the alternator and check the voltage from the battery sense wire (should be the far right pin, with the locking tab on the connector facing up and the connector facing you) and ground, this should be battery voltage, give or take half a volt.

Start with this first, if all this checks okay, you've got a problem somewhere in the harness between the PCM and the alternator, or you've got a problem with the PCM itself.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I cant help but dang this place is amazing. This kind of help makes this site worth it.

Now me...I'd go to the dealer and say "I bought this extended warranty, let me know how it goes"

Good luck with your problem though.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Okay, first thing's first, did you put a Ford or an aftermarket alternator on it?

What's your voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running at around 2000 RPM?

With the key on and the engine off, disconnect the connector at the alternator and check the voltage from the battery sense wire (should be the far right pin, with the locking tab on the connector facing up and the connector facing you) and ground, this should be battery voltage, give or take half a volt.

Start with this first, if all this checks okay, you've got a problem somewhere in the harness between the PCM and the alternator, or you've got a problem with the PCM itself.
Thanks for the help guys! I bought a lifetime warranty Duralast alt. from Autozone. I was a bit weary of the Motorcraft since it crapped out BEFORE the stock battery did (58k mi). Voltmeter across batt. terminals at 2000 RPM reads 14.2 volts. I'll try the batt. sense wire test, but it's a new Diehard gold batt. I just bought. Previous testing of the wires came up fine, alt. connector to PCM connector showed .2 ohms on both light green wires. The light doesn't come on right away, it takes 1 1/2-2 mins. Truck is running fine except, I noticed the idle RPM is around 850-900 and I hear high pitched whining. Like radio interference, but the radio and heater controls are tuned off. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by xlint1; 03-28-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
After doing the tsets you guys provided me with, I think my PCM is not good. The middle pin on the alt. connector to ground test will not give me an accurate, or within specs reading. Everything is working fine (except a little high idle) on the truck. Do you think I can damage something else if I keep driving it like this? I'd hate to buy a new PCM because of a light being on, if everything else is working. Your opinions please

Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Holy crap!!! $487 for a PCM? Anybody know a salvage yard that has a wrecked out F150?

Old 03-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Ditch that raggedy *** Autozone alternator and get a Ford alternator before doing anything else.

Old 03-31-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy crap!!! $487 for a PCM? Anybody know a salvage yard that has a wrecked out F150?
Cheaper than the alternative.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd like to just get another alt, but they aren't very cheap, and the original didn't even outlast the battery. Now I think the PCM is toast because the airbag light on the dash is now on. This is terrible, not even 59k mi!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 PM

I'd like to just get another alt, but they aren't very cheap, and the original didn't even outlast the battery. Now I think the PCM is toast because the airbag light on the dash is now on. This is terrible, not even 59k mi!
So, let's recap:

Your original alternator failed completely, wouldn't charge. You replaced it with an aftermarket alternator that appears to be charging, but now you have unexplained charging system DTCs and a fault in the SRS system.

So far, it seems like the only variable before then and now was the alternator.

An alternator is an electrical component, they can and do fail at any mileage they full and damn well feel like it regardless of who makes it.

Ditch the Autozone alternator, then come back. Or keep running around in circles, the choice is yours.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin

Engine running at 2000 RPM has 14.5V across the batt. Alt. sense wire with key on at harness is 12.38V. Both light green wires measure .2 ohms from alt. connector to PCM connector. By your own advice, I should be looking at the PCM. Esp. since the airbag light is now on, and the idle RPM is up around 850-900 RPM. I'm not doubting you, I just don't want to waste another $200 if I need a $500 PCM. BUT,I'll give it a shot, since it's the cheaper of the 2, but will be very upset if I need to spend $1000 to fix this. Sorry, the DTC was there after I replaced the batt. and before I replaced the alt, hence the reason I replaced it.

Last edited by xlint1; 04-01-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM
bump...what's happened with this situation xlint1?

Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Same situation so far... Went back to autozone and had them test the alt. It charged 14.5V and totally passed the load test. Now I have a used PCM coming in the mail, and will prob. get a Motorcraft alt. to please the Ford techs. Here goes another $450. My guess is the PCM, with the airbag light now staying on, a P0622 AND P1000 DTC being set? I can't see an aftermarket alt. doing all that while still charging the battery. Just a FYI: someone did mention about disconnecting the battery before you remove any wiring harnesses from the PCM on the firewall. It may create a spike that might harm the computer.

Quick Reply: Quintin and all Ford techs: please help