2004 - 2008 F-150

Removing Overhead Console Reg Cab ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Overhead Console Reg Cab ???

I'm installing a Homelink in my 2004 XLT reg cab and hoped to locate it in the overhead console - power is available from the auto dim mirror. I got the outer shell off but the black plastic mount is something else. I removed two screws but it doesn't come out. Appears that the headliner may have to come out first? My power source is behind it.

I'm not up to taking out the headliner so if anyone has experience with this, comments & suggestions are very welcome.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 PM
I have not done this, but here are some replies from other thread posts:

"Rear dome light in Scab is held on with spring clips, just pull down, HARD (it clips into plastic so I avoided pulling hard since it felt like it would break, nope). Reinstallation is not easy, you gotta push REAL HARD."

"I pulled my dome light cover last night to work on a roof liner rattle I have been battling. What a PITA it was to get the light cover off! I thought for sure I was going to break the thing, but it finally pulled out. It has 3 or 4 plastic tabs holding it up there, so you really have to tug!"

"Remove dome lights (pull down hard to remove)."

GOOD LUCK!

Also, check out the following thread for kicks:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=215593

Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Gordo:

Thanks - but I have a small console with just a drop-down door (sunglass holder for me) and an opening in the front. No rails and nothing elecrical (reg cab.) I've pulled the console stright down and removed it. What's left is a black plasitic bracket just a little larger than the console. It has the holes for the spring clips in it. That's what I need to remove to get at the wires for the auto-dim mirror.

I'm going to try locating the Homelink in the dash panel just below the steering column on the left side.

And thanks for wishing me "Good Luck" - I'll need it.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, regardless of whether you end up using the bin location or the dash panel, be sure to take before, during, and after pics to help out the next guy. Post them up when it's all done.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Walter I got as far as you with getting that console to pop off and I stopped right there. There was no way I taking the headliner down and didn't see any way of getting the shiny black mount out of there. I gave up on the idea and mounted my Homelink down under the dash. Not completely thrilled with the location, but it's hidden and staying there for now.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the validation. I'm leaning toward installing in the console door and running wire accross the top to the driver side pillar and down into the dash. This will require drilling a hole in the black bracket - that's less intimidating than the headliner. As requested by Gordo, I'll post some pics - unless it's too embarrassing.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Install complete

See my gallery for install photos

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Good job, looks like the colors match up perfectly. I considered that spot, but I actually do use it for sunglasses It's too bad those Homelink modules are such an odd size, it limits where they can be hidden/mounted.

Quick Reply: Removing Overhead Console Reg Cab ???