2004 - 2008 F-150

Halo HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halo HID Headlights

Looking for pics of halo lights mounted on the F150? They look ricey in many cases but I'm looking for some tasteful applications. Please post what you got. The one above looks like it would obstruct light output pretty bad. The above light is only $129.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josiah, I've been wondering the same thing. I have the HID kit installed and want to put the beam into a pattern, which the OEM headlight DOES NOT DO!! I get a lot of looks like this at night ...only they're flashing their brights while being blinded. Hopefully someone can let us know if the projectors help with the HID beams.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah

Looking for pics of halo lights mounted on the F150? They look ricey in many cases but I'm looking for some tasteful applications. Please post what you got. The one above looks like it would obstruct light output pretty bad. The above light is only $129.
Josiah, DONT thats gonna ruin the look of your truck! Plus these are aftermarket projectors, they are not gonna project like the ones you see on your late model BMW, or Mercedez these are cheap knock offs. Plus you'll have to buy new HIB bulbs because they dont use the 9145's that we have in our trucks already.

EDIT: The best route to go would be a HID retrofit, costly but definetly worth it

Last edited by FX4REACTION1; 02-13-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 AM
What does it take to retrofit HIDs? I don't want to ruin my lamps, but also don't want a pile-up of tickets from having these lights.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FX4 Reaction, I currently have HID's in all 4 corners I just wanted a better projector of light with a sharper cutoff. I've been cussed out @ intersections as I drive passed the opposing traffic after waiting for a green, by some white trash woman in her pinto.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Wasnt some company making HID retrofit kit?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:48 AM
I've been cussed out @ intersections as I drive passed the opposing traffic after waiting for a green, by some white trash woman in her pinto.
I use to get cussed out too until I droped each head and driving lights a tad.

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
FX4 Reaction, I currently have HID's in all 4 corners I just wanted a better projector of light with a sharper cutoff. I've been cussed out @ intersections as I drive passed the opposing traffic after waiting for a green, by some white trash woman in her pinto.
Josiah, I guess you misunderstood me, these projectors DO NOT have a cutoff like real projectors there basically for show, so they wont help you out.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by nuclearthreat54
Wasnt some company making HID retrofit kit?
, please try and find out some more info!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd have to say, I admire you for at least trying to remedy the situation. It's interesting to hear you say that you've taken note of others falling to the ground, blinded by the output while screaming 'BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!' like Gizmo from the Gremlins.

The clear option is to pull your HID set out until you can find a 'fix' rather than a 'bandaid', though.

Like others have told you, these 'projectors' will not offer an adequate cutoff. There's simply no engineering in this set to make them adequate for HID.

The only 'right' way to do a HID upgrade is to do what F150Duke has done... full retrofit with HID projectors (I think his are from a Lexus).

Old 02-14-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm in the same boat as Josiah, all four corners, and getting cussed out! Hopefully we can find a fix.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I'd have to say, I admire you for at least trying to remedy the situation. It's interesting to hear you say that you've taken note of others falling to the ground, blinded by the output while screaming 'BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!' like Gizmo from the Gremlins.
Too funny!

Originally Posted by RockPick
The clear option is to pull your HID set out until you can find a 'fix' rather than a 'bandaid', though.

There's simply no engineering in this set to make them adequate for HID.

The only 'right' way to do a HID upgrade is to do what F150Duke has done... full retrofit with HID projectors (I think his are from a Lexus).

I couldn't have said it better myself. Those headlights are designed with halogen projectors. Those are not HID projectors. HID bulbs and ballasts will overwhelm those projectors and you will both lose light AND still have a scattered beam that will blind people.

Honestly, I know a full HID upgrade using OEM parts is a large up front cost. But add up all the money spent of trying to "fix" the HID glare you're putting out and eventually (combined with a ticket for blinding oncoming traffic) you'll have spent less money on OEM HID equipment and a full retrofit.

The ONLY way to do HID properly, without causing glare, in our trucks without using OEM HID projectors, is to buy the HID reflectors that were made for the Shelby GT500 Mustang and mount those reflectors into your truck headlights. But those are probably going to be more expensive then just buying OEM HID projectors and doing a retrofit.

Look on ebay for e46 or RS6 HID projectors. You can get a set for around $120. These are OEM bi-xeon projectors and will allow you to have the proper cuttoff that won't blind oncoming traffic.

Then get a set of aftermarket depo F150 headlights, open them up (b/c you can't open the OEM F150 headlights), and then mount the projectors into the reflector and fine tune your aiming. Then build a shroud to make it look pretty, wire up an aftermarket harness, mount your ballasts and your done.

Check out my gallery for ideas, and also check HIDPlanet.com/forums. They have an entire forum with step-by-step instructions on how to do this. Or you can pay someone $200 to do it for you. ($200 is on the cheap side for labor, as it's quite labor intensive)

Duke

Old 02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
I have a toreador red regular cab without the chrome accent grille...and i just ordered a set of black diamond headlights...they look like the Harley headlights, but i got them for 107 for the set...brand new. stay tuned with how they look....hopefully good. i found them on ebay. maybe i'll post a few pics. Ciao
nimrod

Old 02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
What does the OEM HID retrofit run? I've read alot of people saying it's a lot but no one says how much. Have been thinking about doing it but that's a next year project. Just wondering if I should start saving or forget about it and move to another mod instead.

Quick Reply: Halo HID Headlights