2004 - 2008 F-150

Intakes. How did you finally decide??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Intakes. How did you finally decide??

So I have looked and looked and looked some more on this forum and throughout the internet. I looked through search upon search, which contained what seems like 100's of different posts. In all of them I only noticed different questions and comparisions about different intakes. But I never saw a thread about why people really chose the intake that they did. So that is my question. What intake do you have, and why did you choose it?? It is such a daunting task if you are someone like me that over analyzes everything and wants to make the perfect decision before buying. Right now I can't decide between oiled or non-oiled filter elements. I also have concerns about causing a lean condition with the engine and getting an error code. I see that Troyer says the Airraid and AF1 are the only intakes that don't cause the lean condition but then there are thread upon thread that says people running all the other intakes don't have the error code. So bascially I want to know why people bought the intake they have and hopefully that will help me decide. I am down to the AEM Brute Force, new design S&B just released or the Airraid and I have no idea what to do.

So what do you have and what was your thought process in getting it????

Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Suspended
Good question, I have wondered the same. I plan on getting the edge for the guages, so the need for a custom tune bothers me. I do not want my truck running around with a lean condition possibly damaging the motor

Old 02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by josho66
So I have looked and looked and looked some more on this forum and throughout the internet. I looked through search upon search, which contained what seems like 100's of different posts. In all of them I only noticed different questions and comparisions about different intakes. But I never saw a thread about why people really chose the intake that they did. So that is my question. What intake do you have, and why did you choose it?? It is such a daunting task if you are someone like me that over analyzes everything and wants to make the perfect decision before buying. Right now I can't decide between oiled or non-oiled filter elements. I also have concerns about causing a lean condition with the engine and getting an error code. I see that Troyer says the Airraid and AF1 are the only intakes that don't cause the lean condition but then there are thread upon thread that says people running all the other intakes don't have the error code. So bascially I want to know why people bought the intake they have and hopefully that will help me decide. I am down to the AEM Brute Force, new design S&B just released or the Airraid and I have no idea what to do.

So what do you have and what was your thought process in getting it????
You can run lean without ever throwing a CEL.....I have to believe many are doing just that....

Old 02-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
You can run lean without ever throwing a CEL.....I have to believe many are doing just that....
So with that in mind what would you suggest?? Just get what intake I want then?? I really want the AEM since it is oil free but I am concerned with getting an error code or hurting the engine with running in a lean condition. I have read some threads about AEM owners that are not having problems with the lean condition or error codes. I like the new S&B intake that was just released but I don't like the idea of an oiled filter than can mess up the MAF.

I just can't believe that no one can tell about why they chose the intake that they did.....???

Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 AM
I can honestly say the single only reason I picked mine is because I'm in the USAF and my intake says "Air Force One" on it.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I chose mine because I had put 200,000 miles on my old 98 f-150 with a K&N fipk and had no troubles at all. I chose the plastic tubed version due to it not getting as hot as the metal one.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I got the AF1 cause I want the intake that make the most RWHP and TQ for my truck an so far it has done so.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Cai

Check reputable dealer websites, read the forums. I went with Troyer and 3.25 AF One. Works sweet. Spend a little time reading. It's all there.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by josho66
I like the new S&B intake that was just released but I don't like the idea of an oiled filter than can mess up the MAF.
As long as you do not over oil the filter, and allow time for the oil to soak into the filter, you should never have a problem with the MAF. What many people do is over oil the filter. That oil coats the MAF sensor and that throws a code. More is not always better.

Mook

Old 02-11-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm still debating over even getting one. I have recently heard that intakes are a "waste of money" because you spend hundreds of dollars on one (big name brands) only to give you 4-5 hp gains. My best friend has a 2005 Lariat with a K&N intake and he said he can't feel s*!t. My guy at the shop even said they are mostly for "beautification" purposes. If I get one, I want a good quality one (not oil based) with NOTICEABLE hp gains. I'm not very knowlegable on "engine stuff" so I don't know what to think so please don't go flaming me because of my "ignorance"....lol

Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by jawjaboi
I'm still debating over even getting one. I have recently heard that intakes are a "waste of money" because you spend hundreds of dollars on one (big name brands) only to give you 4-5 hp gains. My best friend has a 2005 Lariat with a K&N intake and he said he can't feel s*!t. My guy at the shop even said they are mostly for "beautification" purposes. If I get one, I want a good quality one (not oil based) with NOTICEABLE hp gains. I'm not very knowlegable on "engine stuff" so I don't know what to think so please don't go flaming me because of my "ignorance"....lol

The reason your friend doesn't feel anything is because it's a 6,000lb truck and I doubt he will feel the small gain that the intake alone is giving him. I went with the AF1 3.25 and troyer tunes because I have seen too many dyno's with other that have this same setup and I want those same gains!!!!

-Brian

Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Another vote for the AF1 with a Xcal2/Troyer tunes. Those systems are tested over and over again with proven results. As stated above, you can have a lean condition and not trip a error code. The whole plastic vs. metal intake has been hashed over more than oil threads. There are no specific improvements or gains with a plastic intake tube vs. a metal one. That has been debated to death.

Talk to someone who has done alot of dyno time with a sniffer like troyer has using these different setups. You'll benefit from someone elses time and effort. Personally, I like oil filters but then I know how to service them too.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by 02XLT
The reason your friend doesn't feel anything is because it's a 6,000lb truck and I doubt he will feel the small gain that the intake alone is giving him.

-Brian
Hence some reasoning on "what's the point"?

And this may be a stupid question, but how can you dyno test something that works on "forced air"? Take me to school.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Your right, if you are only looking for performance modifications that you can feel from the seat of your pants then maybe something like a supercharger is for you. I had already decided I wanted to get the tuner from troyer for all of the driveability improvements plus the extra power and while I was at it I went for the AF1 intake after seeing how much additional torque it offered in the lower RPM range vs the competition.

I guess 'the point' is if you are looking for an intake to increase power you can't go wrong with pretty much any aftermarket unit. If you have 2 identical trucks, identical drivers, and identical reaction times, don't you think the truck with the intake will be faster, even if it is a small margin?

As for how do you dyno test a CAI intake. Dyno facilities use huge fans to simulate air rushing into the engine bay.

-Brian

Last edited by 02XLT; 02-11-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by 02XLT
As for how do you dyno test a CAI intake. Dyno facilities use huge fans to simulate air rushing into the engine bay.

-Brian
Oh....

Quick Reply: Intakes. How did you finally decide??