2004 - 2008 F-150

55K Is this stuff Needed. Fuel Injector/Power Steering Flush??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
55K Is this stuff Needed. Fuel Injector/Power Steering Flush??

Ok so my truck just got to 55K and I am going to get somethings done to it. I called up a few local Ford dealers to get some prices and they told me I needed a few things that I didn't plan on. I plan to get the trans flushed and have the fuel filter changed. I am waiting on the cooling system and plugs since they are both good till 100K. My dealer suggested that I have the fuel injection system flushed for $100 and the power steering system flushed for $70. Are these really needed right now or at all? I will get them done now if needed, but i was wondering if they can wait, maybe till 75K or do they even need done?? Also I am going to get my front pads changed. I would do it myself but I just don't want to mess with it. Local shop uses the Wagner Thermo Quiet pads that a lot of people have been using with good luck. They told me though I might need new rotors as most now only last through one set of pads. Is that true?? I told them I would want the existing ones machined, they said they would see if they could.

Just trying to get some info so I don't get screwed. Anyone have anything to say??

Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Well I don't know about the majority of what you're asking, but unless your rotors are warped, or have been resurfaced multiple times, you DON'T need new rotors. They're just trying to tack on more work while you're interested.

Duke

Old 02-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

Big BS on the plugs & coolant.

No such thing as a 100K plug, or 100K coolant.

Just get it in writing that if they break a plug, they will eat the cost. Also insist that they follow Ford's latest TSB for plug R&R.

Search for more on this ... here's just one:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=210634

Agree with Duke on the brakes...

Flush, then pan drop/filter change on the tranny.

Good luck.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-08-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM
TNC
Just my $.02, but I'd blow off the power steering flush in favor of a coolant flush. Coolant doesn't last 100K miles, no matter what they tell you, and I've run trucks forever without messing with PS fluid. Fuel filter is good to do and can easily be done at home. I guess an injector flush, but it sounds a little pricey to me. Trans. flush is money well spent. Rotors as a rule don't just last one set of pads. Of course, they'll need to be measured, etc. Hopefully they can be turned and you're off and running.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Just run a couple bottle of Techron through your gas and you can do your own injector cleaning.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Bubba
I agree with you on the plugs because they last much longer. If a plug starts to misfire, your check engine light will come on. I have one car with 106,000 miles on the original plugs and another with 98,000 on the original plugs. My good friend replaced his original plugs at 168,000 miles and I sold my Toyota T-100 (when I got my F-150) with the original plugs at 179,000 miles. It ran as well the day I sold it as the day I got it.

The fuel injection cleaning and power steering flush is simply another way the dealer wants to separate you from your money. If it ain't broke................

Last edited by osbornk; 02-08-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as coolant flush, I don't think you need it. Plugs should be fine until 100k. Trannie flush, fuel filter, definitely. As far as injector cleaning, I have had it done in the past even though I will run injector cleaner thru the tank at times, and have had it make a world of difference. The cleaners they run the vehicle on by hooking to the fuel rail are far superior to tank type cleaners in my opinion.
As far as rotors, if you haven't had the TSB for brakes done, then there is a good possibility they are shot. For whatever reason the original OE rotors put on the 04 were crap. The rotors wore faster than the pads.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 AM
What engine do you have ? If it's a 5.4 3v I would not wait until 100K miles. It's not that the plug will not last,the electrode shield corrodes and is a bi*** to remove plug without a failure unless you follow the Ford plug tsb.
As far as flushing the injectors..... if you have not used fuel inkector cleaner periodically,you can purchase the cleaning/service kit yourself(just a can of cleaner/fuel with a hose & adapters the allows you to connect to the fuel rail service port).

Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi.

Cheers
Bubba

So, I assume you're saying that plugs don't last up to 100K miles? If that is the case, then you couldn’t be further from the truth. Today’s plugs can last WELL OVER the rated 100K. When a plug is to the point where it needs to be replaced, you will know it. In closing, you're dead WRONG on your assumption of plugs. Please don’t inundate us with pithy examples from “a friend”, or even yourself. If someone had a problem with plugs well before the 100K rating then so be it, things happen.

If I have mis-read your statement, then my apologies.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
So, I assume you're saying that plugs don't last up to 100K miles? If that is the case, then you couldn’t be further from the truth. Today’s plugs can last WELL OVER the rated 100K. When a plug is to the point where it needs to be replaced, you will know it. In closing, you're dead WRONG on your assumption of plugs. Please don’t inundate us with pithy examples from “a friend”, or even yourself. If someone had a problem with plugs well before the 100K rating then so be it, things happen.

If I have mis-read your statement, then my apologies.
Hi. No need to apologize - your reading skills are intact.

Sorry, but the facts state otherwise.

Two items - one from an acknowledged expert, and a lengthy thread from other posters who have actually R&R'd them.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=14

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ighlight=plugs

Tell you what - read the above thoroughly & since you will very likely remain a skeptic, just leave yours in, okay? No problem for you, just a problem for the next guy who gets your truck.

Sorry to inundate you with pithy examples of reality

Oh, yeah - almost forgot, Josh ... in addition to the plugs replace the front O2's.... they are also in need of replacement - no such thing as lifetime O2's either. Gee, was that another pithy comment? MY BAD!

Relax - the OP's gonna do what he's gonna do... facts/fiction/hearsay or otherwise. As one fella put very succinctly, there is no gun being put to your head.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-08-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
WOW. Didn't mean to start an arguement. Let me see if I can put some sense to this. From what I am seeing the power steering flush is pretty much a waste. I am still unsure on the injector cleaner. I was planning on doing the coolant flush next year which will put me around 70K miles, or less. I only drive around town so I won't put more than 10 to 15K miles on each year. As for the rotors I guess I will just have to see what they measure out at and if they can be machined or not. If not I can get some lifetime rotors for $60 each from O'rielys.

I do have the 5.4 engine also. I plan on doing the O2 sensors around 75K miles also and the plugs about that time too, atleast going to do them before 100K. Just want to make sure I get done right now what I MUST do. Don't want to waste money on things that I really don't need.

Here is my list so far:

Fuel Filter
Tranny Fluid Flush
New Front Pads(Possibly Rotors if can't be machined)

Skipping power steering flush for now. Think I might hold off on the fuel injector cleaning also, still unsure though. Anyone have any more suggestions or information???

Old 02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, yeah - almost forgot, Josh ... in addition to the plugs replace the front O2's.... they are also in need of replacement - no such thing as lifetime O2's either. Gee, was that another pithy comment? MY BAD!
Bubba
Why in the world do you want to keep wasting money on things that are not broken? OBD is there for a reason. It tells you when you have a malfunction. 02s may not be lifetime since I haven't kept anything over 180,000 miles but I know they are good for that far (and the new owners are still running them at over 200,000)

Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey Josh....

No worries, this ain't an argument, it's just some good-natured disagreement

You wanna see real arguments, go to the Lightning forum

Every single maintenance thread I've seen (and if you use the Search feature, you'll find plenty) is filled with advice that's all over the map - the discussions tend to get religious , just as they do for oils. You need to decide what's best for you.

Here's a link you may find useful in general...

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ageid=&gutsid=

Good luck.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by josho66
WOW. Didn't mean to start an arguement. Let me see if I can put some sense to this. From what I am seeing the power steering flush is pretty much a waste. I am still unsure on the injector cleaner. I was planning on doing the coolant flush next year which will put me around 70K miles, or less. I only drive around town so I won't put more than 10 to 15K miles on each year. As for the rotors I guess I will just have to see what they measure out at and if they can be machined or not. If not I can get some lifetime rotors for $60 each from O'rielys.

I do have the 5.4 engine also. I plan on doing the O2 sensors around 75K miles also and the plugs about that time too, atleast going to do them before 100K. Just want to make sure I get done right now what I MUST do. Don't want to waste money on things that I really don't need.

Here is my list so far:

Fuel Filter
Tranny Fluid Flush
New Front Pads(Possibly Rotors if can't be machined)

Skipping power steering flush for now. Think I might hold off on the fuel injector cleaning also, still unsure though. Anyone have any more suggestions or information???
Sounds like a plan. But, you really should do the fuel filter yourself, it save a bunch of money and takes about 10 minutes. I think it should be changed every 15,000 to 20,000 miles. I do mine at 15,000.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by osbornk
Why in the world do you want to keep wasting money on things that are not broken? OBD is there for a reason. It tells you when you have a malfunction. 02s may not be lifetime since I haven't kept anything over 180,000 miles but I know they are good for that far (and the new owners are still running them at over 200,000)

Hi.

As is well known, O2's start to degrade as soon as they are used. At some point they get 'lazy' in their ability to switch.

Folks who want to maintain the optimum in performance & mileage replace them soon & often - typically 30k-50k miles.

Sure they will still work past that (barring outright failure), but not optimally.

Go read the links to those threads I posted. Your choice.

Oil works past 3k-5k too, but you see a lot of folks change it early & often as well.

Ford would love for you to keep the crap in your truck, 'cause they only give a crap about TCO, not you.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-08-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: 55K Is this stuff Needed. Fuel Injector/Power Steering Flush??