2004 - 2008 F-150

Train Horns?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alfack
@ RamSS\T

What kit do you have? Does yours have a tank too? I just picked up a new '06 Scab XLT and was almost run off the road this morning on the way to work. Some lady in a Suburu started changing lanes right into me. I was laying on my horn the whole time, but ended up on the shoulder before she realized what was going on and got back in her lane. I think one of these horn setups would be good for waking up the oblivious out there.

THX
Mine are the same ones sold on hornblasters.com. You have to have a tank to hold the compressed air. I think it comes with a 2 or 3 gal tank but I couldn't find anywhere to mount it that I liked, so I went to a 1 gal tank and mounted it between inside my airaide box between the filter and the drivers side headlight. The horns will blow 15 sec or so before draining the tank...and trust me you wont want to blow them for 15 sec straight very often.

Originally Posted by Patatoe1
Are these train horn/air horn kits legal?
Perfectly legal here in GA.

Originally Posted by Nates06SCab
I'm talking reality here, and no Ram/SST, I wan't talking to you...but shows are a pleasure of mine, so there's no need to belittle that.
I attend shows all the time too, but not the kind where they allow kids to play crap music at obnoxious levels and blow air horns all day. Those kind of shows are exactly the ones you were talking about that allow any POS off the road to show as long as you $45 entry fee. You know the shows that give club participation trophies so the car clubs enter every POS (I think most are sponsored by Bondo) they can find just to get the trophy. Those shows IMO (we are talking about opinions...right?) are a total joke. Like I said some blue wire loom on everything and a teddy bear on the seat don't make a show car. If me running down those kind of shows offends you then sorry...have fun at them.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by Patatoe1
Are these train horn/air horn kits legal?
To have, yes. To use, not necessarily. The only reason 18 wheelers and other big trucks have them--in addition to a regular horn like passenger cars have-- is for emergency only use, to be used only to prevent injury, or imminent accident. If te horns are DOT approved, no problem. train horns however, you run the risk of problems.

The laws in most, if not all areas of the U.S. are clear regarding noise laws. Horns are not exempt from these laws. Any noise that is deemed excessive, falls into the "excessive noise" area. You can also be charged if someone else gets into an accident because of the horns being blasted. Just an FYI.

SL

Old 01-19-2007, 06:16 AM
i got a ticket one time for "noise polution" no points, just paid it and was on my way.

The best way to wire them up.

Find the 12v wire coming from the horn relay to the OEM horn. cut it
Then run from the realy to the center post on a 3-way switch.
NExt from one side of the switch back to the wire going to the OEM horn.
From the other side of the switch to your electronic air valve.
and the other post on the air valve to ground.

This way you can use your horn pad, but switch between OEM horn and Train horn. PLus if a cop pulls you over you can flip to OEM and when he ask you to test it you only get the OEM sound. Ill draw up a wiring diagram with harness locations and pin numbers if needed.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Mine are the same ones sold on hornblasters.com. You have to have a tank to hold the compressed air. I think it comes with a 2 or 3 gal tank but I couldn't find anywhere to mount it that I liked, so I went to a 1 gal tank and mounted it between inside my airaide box between the filter and the drivers side headlight. The horns will blow 15 sec or so before draining the tank...and trust me you wont want to blow them for 15 sec straight very often.
Thanks for the info. I was having trouble figuring out where I would mount a big tank. 15 sec would seem like ample time for a honk as loud as that

Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 AM
(Crocodile Dundee voice)"That's not a horn....

THAT'S a horn"

Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
I attend shows all the time too, but not the kind where they allow kids to play crap music at obnoxious levels and blow air horns all day. Those kind of shows are exactly the ones you were talking about that allow any POS off the road to show as long as you $45 entry fee. You know the shows that give club participation trophies so the car clubs enter every POS (I think most are sponsored by Bondo) they can find just to get the trophy. Those shows IMO (we are talking about opinions...right?) are a total joke.
That's exactly what I was talking about. They have allowed that stuff for too many years, and that's exactly why we (my club) may not attend that show (Slamfest, Tampa, covered by every major truck rag) this year. Me personally, that show has been a majority of my vacation days for 6 years, so I obviously I value that time spent with my friends at that show. We might not go there this year expressly because of the noise pollution! If someone had posted, "What kind of crappy sounding PA system should I mount in my bed to blare crappy raps" I would have reacted the same way...Hopefully someone can see the correlation here.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I live in south florida and personally cant wait to get a set of 3 horn trumpets or even two sets of trumpets with a 5 gallon tank mounted to my frame and horns mounted where spare tire goes (1 set forward 1 set backwards) and everybody that lives down here or has visited knows why we need LOUD horns......people just dont pay attention

Old 03-18-2007, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
No doubt, I use to live down in Boca Raton.
Boca sucks!!! To many old people, it blows!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 AM
To each his own........ I have a buddy with a dodge and he mounted them underneath the bed of his truck and the air tank in the bed itself. He wired them directly to the stock horn. When he presses his panic button on his remote it goes off. Pretty cool.... Anyway I would look at getting a set because it comes with the air compressor and tank. You could use this for air tools and airing up your tires when off road...... Something to think about

Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I put in a bid recently on ebay and won a train horn system. I didnt really think i would be the high bidder because i lowballed the item and won it. Complete system 3 liter 120psi..Shipped in 3 days...Now i need to find where to mount the tank and horns

Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 PM
So if I what if I don't want to shatter windows with my horn? If I understand it right smaller tubing (IE: less air) makes it a little quiter?

Quick Reply: Train Horns?