2004 - 2008 F-150

Sounds Like Water Sloshing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds Like Water Sloshing...

I just bought my first F-150, a used '04 Crew Cab Lariat. I started noticing recently that when I accelerate from a stop it I can hear what sounds like water sloshing around. It's hard to pinpoint but it sounds like it's more towards the rear of the cab at first but then almost sounds like it makes its way towards the front as my acceleration levels off. Am I hearing the gas in the gas tank? Are the F-150's known for holding water in certain areas? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'm new to F-150's, and new to the forum but I've found a ton of useful information already. I'm sure you can all help me figure this one out. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you got one with a leak. You need to pull the door sill trim up in the front and look in the wiring trough for water. You can also remove the kick panel trim to gain more access. Water from a leak tends to collect in the wiring channels.

Last edited by kd4crs; 01-03-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Water in the bed..... ,

MoBann

Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
i think it might becoming from something in the ac, mine did this for awhile and thats what i figured went away after about a month

Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Either a plugged drain tube in the a/c, or a rear break light leak. Check the door sills first... Bottle of water under the seat???

Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the same EXACT problem described. Also an 04. Haven't figured it out and looked in the kick panel for water but did not feel what I heard.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM
no one would ever think it could be the residual effects of this would they

Trending Topics

Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM

lmao. On that note I think my alternator is taking a crap on me more problems less money for the win!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
yea mine crapped out on me about a month ago, they are expensive as ***** to replace

Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, I can eliminate the easy ones first. No water inthe bed and no bottle of water in the back seat.

As for the door trim stuff, it sounds more like it's centered in the truck behind the back seat. I know sounds travel in mysterious ways, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the doors.

How do I check for a plugged a/c drain or a leak in the brake light. Are you talking about the rear or the high mount brake light?

Just for kicks I'm going to top off the gas tank and see if that has any affect onthe noise.

If you have any more thoughts I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by 04ERICF150
I just bought my first F-150, a used '04 Crew Cab Lariat. I started noticing recently that when I accelerate from a stop it I can hear what sounds like water sloshing around. It's hard to pinpoint but it sounds like it's more towards the rear of the cab at first but then almost sounds like it makes its way towards the front as my acceleration levels off. Am I hearing the gas in the gas tank? Are the F-150's known for holding water in certain areas? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'm new to F-150's, and new to the forum but I've found a ton of useful information already. I'm sure you can all help me figure this one out. Thanks.
Not to scare you but, just a guess, anyone think of a Katrina vehicle?
About 6 months ago my father-in-law drove a used one and heard the same type of noise, he bought a new 150 after that. It sounded like it was inside of the doors, sloshing around. Dealer said it came from a auction.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by HHIFX4
yea mine crapped out on me about a month ago, they are expensive as ***** to replace
Last time I checked they were only about $100 or so. What are starters running for as well, it takes a good 2-3 seconds to start'r up now and sometimes it won't turn over until the 3rd try.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Interesting thought. But this truck was a local purchase and local trade in her in Michigan. I hope it didn't see any time in Louisiana.

Still sticking with the gas tank theory...I didn't notice it when I test drove it with around a 1/4 tank. And I didn't notice it when I picked it up with a full tank. I'm at about 3/4 tank right now. Is there some baffling in the tank that might make the noise of "water" moving around? I guess if I fill it up and it goes away that will tell me something. Also, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the doors, a/c, and brake lights.

Where are the typical leak spots for these trucks? Just the seals in general or were there specific spots? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Does it have a sunroof? Sometimes the drain lines that lead down the A and C pillars can become clogged with leaves and trash. Just a thought.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, thanks for bearing with me and not telling me I'm an idiot. I filled the gas tank and the noise is still there. And after you guys talking about the water getting in the wiring channels is does sound like its all the way up and down both sides of the truck. I hear it when I stop quickly and when I accelerate.

So now my question is, how do I access these areas to dry them out? I just got the truck a few days ago and I'm a little hesitant to start tearing things apart. Is it relatively easy and non-destructive to get to the wiring channels?

Also, I do have a moon roof. How do I check/verify that my third brake light and/or moon roof is the leaker or if the roof vent tubes are clogged? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just not very familiar with my truck yet. Thanks again for all the help.

Quick Reply: Sounds Like Water Sloshing...