2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark plug disaster yes or no???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
What about letting the ford dealership do it I buy the plugs and let them put them in that way if they mess them up they pay right?
not necessarily from what I hear

Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been numerous postings on this site and other Ford truck related sites by people who had the dealership break a plug/plugs and then try to bill them for the repairs. I'd rather not go down that road. I'll pull them at 25k, see what they look like, and decide what to do from there.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about letting the ford dealership do it I buy the plugs and let them put them in that way if they mess them up they pay right?
Thats what i'm talking about. I asked my dealer what he thought about the issue, his reply "I havent seen this(spark plugs breaking off)yet, but if we do break one off we will have to eat it." He may have been blowing smoke up mine, but who knows. I should have had a tape recorder with me.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sheez, I would have had the plug change done right then at the dealership!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by azfordby4
Thats what i'm talking about. I asked my dealer what he thought about the issue, his reply "I havent seen this(spark plugs breaking off)yet, but if we do break one off we will have to eat it." He may have been blowing smoke up mine, but who knows. I should have had a tape recorder with me.
You should have gotten that in writing.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:29 PM
If the dealer breaks a part then he's going to have to pay for it to be fixed but if he can get even one person to pay the bill for him then why wouldn't he try. Its messed there trying to take advantage of people but if you stand up and tell him to kiss your --- then he will have to repair the work. Of course you will have to deal with them and that alone can be a hassle. Just remember not everyone is blessed with a fully functional brain.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 PM

I'll definitely have the dealership change them as well. If Ford screws something up working on something Ford installed I'm not going to be responsible for it. Especially when they've already documented the problem.

I wouldn't mind a Free new set of heads at 100k Miles. I Guarentee I won't be paying for it, but that's just me.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Im almost postive that if the dealership breaks them off they will fix it. It isnt your fault becuase you are not working on it they are.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
If the dealer says they broke it, they pay, GET THEM DONE BY THAT DEALER!!! For the guys not up to speed, it's like this, Ford says it's the dealersips issue. Their mechanic blah blah blah The dealer says it's a faulty design (Ford problem) and tells you it's not covered. Not coverd under warranty because it's a regular "maintenance" part, belts hoses etc... basically looking at you to pay the tab. You need to scream, moan and groan, file lawsuits and throw tools, but they will pay for it. I just hope you're comfortable with the mechanic removing your engine and trans, and then removing the entire top half of your motor, FOR A TUNE UP!!!!!!! Oh yeah, they had mine in the shop for 18 days too.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM
At around 100k (if they make it that long) I will be taking it to the dealer to get them done. That way if they break they fix Ive already talked to them about it.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When my truck hits 100k or is very close to it I'll just trade it in and let the dealer or new owner deal with any broken plugs that may happen durring the tune up. With that said I have a good 4 years before I have to trade the truck in.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:42 PM
At around 100k (if they make it that long) I will be taking it to the dealer to get them done. That way if they break they fix Ive already talked to them about it.
I'm sure these plugs would last to 200K miles. I don't understand why people change them at 25k miles, etc. I've got close to 75K miles on my truck now and I'm getting Better mileage than when I had 20K on it...

To be Honest, I probably won't Touch this engine until I feel a miss or notice a decrease in the fuel economy (I track the mileage I get on every tank). Change the oil, keep good Air filters on it and Run It!

If it aint broke....

Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 AM
I was told by the dealership that in the process of trying to solve all of my trucks engine troubles, they are now going to change all eight spark plugs. He told me the plugs they are putting in are of a new and better design. Anybody heard of this??? This afternoon I'm gonna call them and ask if they broke any off in the head, my truck has about 17,500mi.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by laurar146
I was told by the dealership that in the process of trying to solve all of my trucks engine troubles, they are now going to change all eight spark plugs. He told me the plugs they are putting in are of a new and better design. Anybody heard of this??? This afternoon I'm gonna call them and ask if they broke any off in the head, my truck has about 17,500mi.
Please let us know of this NEW plug design. Who thinks a sparkplug is good for 200k mi? Only a couple yrs ago they said 30k mi, overnight it went to 100k, and you're claiming 200k? Mine were changed at 53k and I noticed better idle and acceleration right away. Change your 75k mi plugs and see how much better it does.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by xlint1
Please let us know of this NEW plug design. Who thinks a sparkplug is good for 200k mi? Only a couple yrs ago they said 30k mi, overnight it went to 100k, and you're claiming 200k? Mine were changed at 53k and I noticed better idle and acceleration right away. Change your 75k mi plugs and see how much better it does.

The reason it "went to 100k overnight" has already been stated. Ford obviously new they had a problem and didn't want to have to deal with it under warranty so they claimed the plugs didn't need to be changed until all of the trucks were safely out of warranty and the cost would be covered by the unlucky owner. Does anyone ACTUALLY believe that they should leave their plugs in for 100k miles? Has there been some new breakthrough technology that I missed that has suddenly tripled the life span of sparkplugs? Give me a break.

Quick Reply: Spark plug disaster yes or no???