2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark plug disaster yes or no???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlint1
They're gonna tell you it's not under warranty. Be prepared for battle if one or more breaks. FYI $2400 for both heads removed. And why do we need a $125 broken plug remover? Our plugs cost $80 already.
I was simply stating our plugs are 4X more expensive than "normal" sparkplugs. Why should we NEED to add another $125 on top of that for a BROKEN PLUG REMOVAL tool? And it is true the 2002 F250 was fine to do as previously stated by another, THAT truck didn't have the 5.4L 3V engine. Look at what forum you are in (2004 - present F150). Look, the point is these plugs are expensive to begin with. They are breaking by poor design not b/c of mechanic error. When it comes to changing them, if you're under 30k mi. your chances are good, over that is a crap shoot.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
. . and all of that is just opinion, I'll agree to disagree.
its your choice to be ignorant and disagree in light of such facts, go ahead and bury your head in the sand like Ford has

PS: I already took my plugs out with no problems.
and you would not be toting the party line had you snapped a couple off

fact is, this is a known issue, they have recognized it by having a TSB, and even a SPECIAL PART made to sort of address it

they are setting this up for their own failure, because not acting is setting themselves up for one big class action lawsuit

or, they could just pay out lawsuits piecemeal like they do for the exploding crown vic's

Old 12-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by crazynip
its your choice to be ignorant and disagree in light of such facts, go ahead and bury your head in the sand like Ford has
Did you have a bad Christmas? Now you're going to resort to name-calling? This is the exact reason why I did not feel like argueing with you. If you do not like your Ford and you are scared about your spark plugs, please sell it and run far away. It'll be much appreciated. Anyways, have a happy holiday! :santa:

I'll be 'toting the party line' since my spark plugs did not break in the mean-time while you type your reply. I don't need to bury my head either since my spark plugs did not break on me.

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 12-25-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 PM
I assume we are all talking about the 04+ trucs with the 5.4 engine. I just hate guessing whether the discussion is on 4.6 or 5.4 I wish people would indicate whch engine they are posting about, especially when the initial post is vague about the size

most of the trucks we bought this year have the 4.6 based on the posts we saw last year.

we did however buy 3 with the 5.4 since we use them for some heavy towing on the farm.

we were looking at these posts while we are in our farm shop while some of the kids are trying out their new 4-wheelers here arround the barns.

a couple of my brothers are servicing our F-350 service trucks (all 1985 models) since the harvest season is now over. they were discussing the plug problems on the current crop of 5.4 engines

looking at the 302 engines in the service trucks, we all wish the current trucks were as simple and reliable as these have been.

Last edited by emdgealc; 12-25-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Ok guys quick one here does anyone know if the plugs are changed when you have a Roush supercharger, also do the spark plugs go through the intake??

Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emdgealc
I assume we are all talking about the 04+ trucs with the 5.4 engine. I just hate guessing whether the discussion is on 4.6 or 5.4 I wish people would indicate whch engine they are posting about, especially when the initial post is vague about the size

most of the trucks we bought this year have the 4.6 based on the posts we saw last year.

we did however buy 3 with the 5.4 since we use them for some heavy towing on the farm.

we were looking at these posts while we are in our farm shop while some of the kids are trying out their new 4-wheelers here arround the barns.

a couple of my brothers are servicing our F-350 service trucks (all 1985 models) since the harvest season is now over. they were discussing the plug problems on the current crop of 5.4 engines

looking at the 302 engines in the service trucks, we all wish the current trucks were as simple and reliable as these have been.
IM with you, I miss the simple and reliable 302 and 351 windsor engines. They were more powerful, quieter, and easier to work on. To answer your question, the 5.4 is the engine that is seizing spark plugs, not the 4.6. THe 5.4 3V has turned out to be a bad engine for Ford, and even more so its consumers. THe 5.4 is not very powerful given the circumstances, ticks very loud due to defective cam phasors, and likes to swallow spark plugs. Like I said before, I miss my 93 351W...

Old 12-26-2006, 11:41 AM
damn...i guess i should have waited to get my truck until the '05 or 6's came out.....oh well, i still love my truck as it is...and i think i'm going to be on the same boat as some of the others on here, and wait until the recommended mileage change for the plugs.....who knows, i may trade it in for a newer model before that time ever comes.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To the naysayers: The spark plugs won't be a disaster until they break on YOU. I have an 06 with the 5.4L3v and I will be pulling my plugs at 25k for inspection no matter what anyone says.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I've got an 04 with the 5.4 3v, and after the first posts starting coming out in early 05 about the spark plug situation, I paid attention to Quintin, RP, and the other experienced members that pulled their own plugs. I pulled mine at 25k, with a slightly warm engine, and although they fought me coming out (dam robot assembly line), they came out. I put a fresh set in, complete with anti-seize on the threads, and finished within an hour in the driveway. The truck is at 47k now, and I'm getting ready to order another set, as soon as I get tires for my wife's Explorer.

The job isn't that difficult, if you get it done within the first 30k.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Did you have a bad Christmas? Now you're going to resort to name-calling? This is the exact reason why I did not feel like argueing with you. If you do not like your Ford and you are scared about your spark plugs, please sell it and run far away. It'll be much appreciated. Anyways, have a happy holiday! :santa:

I'll be 'toting the party line' since my spark plugs did not break in the mean-time while you type your reply. I don't need to bury my head either since my spark plugs did not break on me.
I am not calling you names, I am stating an observation that you seem to be in complete denial on the issue. That does seem to be a fact.

Somehow you seem to be in the lucky minority.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by murray330
damn...i guess i should have waited to get my truck until the '05 or 6's came out.....oh well
This is still just as much of an issue on the 06 and 07 models as it was on prior years...

that is what has so many of us steamed, Ford is just ignoring the issue, like they did for so many years with the exploding crown vic's and the previous generation cruise control module that liked to burn trucks to a crisp

Old 12-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Wasn't ford having problems before with spark plugs Blowing Out!?? I guess they fixed that.

I'll change mine at 100k when Ford Recommends. 9 Bucks a plug means they they should last at least that long.....

Last edited by BHibbs; 12-26-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by BHibbs

Wasn't ford having problems before with spark plugs Blowing Out!?? I guess they fixed that.

I'll change mine at 100k when Ford Recommends. 9 Bucks a plug means they they should last at least that long.....

I think Ill wait and change mine then to. And if before then I change 1 I will go ahead and change all of them. But im no mechanic either this seems kinda aggrevating.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BHibbs

I'll change mine at 100k when Ford Recommends. 9 Bucks a plug means they they should last at least that long......
Better start saving for that valve head removal/spark plug extraction repair bill right now.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:09 AM
What about letting the ford dealership do it I buy the plugs and let them put them in that way if they mess them up they pay right?

Quick Reply: Spark plug disaster yes or no???