2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark plug disaster yes or no???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the recommended interval for changing the plugs out? Are they 100K plugs?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Req
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plugs

Over two F-150 Web sites in the last year I suspect I have read approx 400 posts regarding the flaw in either the owner or the Dealer taking out plugs. My guesstimation was that approx 10% of those who had their plugs pulled by either the owner or the Dealer ended up with a broken plug, or several. I heard of no Dealer willing to foot the bill to remove the broken plug, which basically was to remove the head or heads. Once price quote was $1400.00 for one head.

Oddly, when I first bought my '04, 5.4, I automatically pulled the #1 plug to take a look at it, not knowing the danger of breaking the plug. I got the plug out, slipped it back in, then went to Pep Boys to buy a new set of plugs for a future change. When the clerk guy said they were $9.00 apiece I told him he had the wrong plug. He pulled one from the box and I was stunned. Same plug. Then after reading the hazards of pulling your own plugs I am programmed to sell my F-150, 5.4 that I really like, just at approx 60K miles, rather than change plugs. Too, I am giving GM/Chev a hard look rather than again buying a very dumb mechanical problem with possible broken plugs. An item I used to change every 15K on my Fords since 1970. And yes, I have all the updated tools to change 5.4 plugs, but the high risk is just not worth it.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Req
Over two F-150 Web sites in the last year I suspect I have read approx 400 posts regarding the flaw in either the owner or the Dealer taking out plugs. My guesstimation was that approx 10% of those who had their plugs pulled by either the owner or the Dealer ended up with a broken plug, or several. I heard of no Dealer willing to foot the bill to remove the broken plug, which basically was to remove the head or heads. Once price quote was $1400.00 for one head.

Oddly, when I first bought my '04, 5.4, I automatically pulled the #1 plug to take a look at it, not knowing the danger of breaking the plug. I got the plug out, slipped it back in, then went to Pep Boys to buy a new set of plugs for a future change. When the clerk guy said they were $9.00 apiece I told him he had the wrong plug. He pulled one from the box and I was stunned. Same plug. Then after reading the hazards of pulling your own plugs I am programmed to sell my F-150, 5.4 that I really like, just at approx 60K miles, rather than change plugs. Too, I am giving GM/Chev a hard look rather than again buying a very dumb mechanical problem with possible broken plugs. An item I used to change every 15K on my Fords since 1970. And yes, I have all the updated tools to change 5.4 plugs, but the high risk is just not worth it.
Having just removed two broken plugs myself (both against the firewall and without a doubt the most difficult)), I will say that this should never turn into a $1400 plus job. Rotunda removal tool is $125 and well worth the investment if you plan to change your own plugs.

I don't understand why their would be any reason/need to remove the head for a broken spark plug, even if a piece of the insulator breaks off and falls into the cylinder you can still suck it up with a vacuum using a piece of hose (I had this happen with mine)
and you could also use a borescope to verify all the pieces are out.

Last edited by 04LARIATXCAB; 12-19-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Anybody know if they fixed this problem on the 2006 F150's

John

Old 12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by je3169
Anybody know if they fixed this problem on the 2006 F150's

John
I think the only fix was the TBS for removal and the tool if it breaks. I haven't seen any updated or modified plug designs.

Last edited by 04LARIATXCAB; 12-19-2006 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
This is kinda scaring me I might just not bother with them and let them be.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm taking it in for sure, not worth the risk on my dime.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:29 AM
They're gonna tell you it's not under warranty. Be prepared for battle if one or more breaks. FYI $2400 for both heads removed. And why do we need a $125 broken plug remover? Our plugs cost $80 already.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by xlint1
They're gonna tell you it's not under warranty. Be prepared for battle if one or more breaks. FYI $2400 for both heads removed. And why do we need a $125 broken plug remover? Our plugs cost $80 already.

Because I assume no one wants to fork over $2400 and if you change your own plugs and one or more breaks inside the head. How are you going to get it out? The dealer will charge you more than $100 in labor alone to change the plugs and that's not counting if one or more break.

In the long run you can save yourself alot of money by tackling this job yourself.

Last edited by 04LARIATXCAB; 12-20-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:52 PM
I still think if the mechanic at ford breaks it, he should buy it.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by azfordby4
I still think if the mechanic at ford breaks it, he should buy it.
I'm with you.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:43 AM
I think the reason that Ford has not addressed the problem further is because you have a large group of F150 fans that love their truck despite any major issues they are experiencing. So as a result the love for their truck is greater than their willingness to stand up and tell Ford that issues like this are unacceptable. I mean I like my truck and all, but Im not above holding Ford to regular automotive standards, and this is clearly well below industry standards. The problem is that Ford has not even attempted to redesign the spark plug, that is just a blatant insult. They know its a problem, and yet they wont even put forth the effort to fix it for future buyers. Thats adding insult to injury. And the whole 100k mile plug thing is clearly a Ford scam to get owners out of their warranty coverage so that Ford can dump it back on the consumer.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
I think the reason that Ford has not addressed the problem further is because you have a large group of F150 fans that love their truck despite any major issues they are experiencing. So as a result the love for their truck is greater than their willingness to stand up and tell Ford that issues like this are unacceptable. I mean I like my truck and all, but Im not above holding Ford to regular automotive standards, and this is clearly well below industry standards. The problem is that Ford has not even attempted to redesign the spark plug, that is just a blatant insult. They know its a problem, and yet they wont even put forth the effort to fix it for future buyers. Thats adding insult to injury. And the whole 100k mile plug thing is clearly a Ford scam to get owners out of their warranty coverage so that Ford can dump it back on the consumer.
  1. F-150online.com is a small percentage of owners, we are not the cause of Ford not re-designing the spark plug.
  2. No one is holding Ford above industry standards. .
  3. How do you know Ford is not working on a fix right now? R&D takes a while.
  4. I'd have to disagree, my family owns a 2002 F-250 with over 100,000 miles on the original plugs, it has the 5.4 in it as well. No problems at all, we actually took them out recently to clean them and check the gap and they all checked out fine.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
[*]F-150online.com is a small percentage of owners, we are not the cause of Ford not re-designing the spark plug.
I never refered to F150online, I refered to a large group of F150 fans...

[*]No one is holding Ford above industry standards. .
I disagree, I think many will buy a Ford regardless of any known issues(or blatantly dismiss any known issues without factual evidence).

[*]How do you know Ford is not working on a fix right now? R&D takes a while.
R&D takes time? What makes you think R&D and alpha/beta testing is even being done currently. And dont fool yourself, Ford could come out with a redesign spark plug tomorrow if they wanted to, however it would be expensive, and money is something that Ford cannot afford to lose any more of right now. The problem is that you will eventually take a hit on your consumer base if issues are not addressed.

[*]I'd have to disagree, my family owns a 2002 F-250 with over 100,000 miles on the original plugs, it has the 5.4 in it as well. No problems at all, we actually took them out recently to clean them and check the gap and they all checked out fine.
If you believe that spark plugs will last(and perform optimal) for 100k miles and over, then thats your opinion. But the majority of car buffs and DIY will dissagree with you. But either way, how long a spark plug will last is not the issue here, its simply a smoke screen thrown out by a few to distract from the real problem here, and that is that by the time 100k miles comes around, good luck getting your plugs out.....

Last edited by silverbullet5.4; 12-24-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
I never refered to F150online, I refered to a large group of F150 fans...

I disagree, I think many will buy a Ford regardless of any known issues(or blatantly dismiss any known issues without factual evidence).

R&D takes time? What makes you think R&D and alpha/beta testing is even being done currently. And dont fool yourself, Ford could come out with a redesign spark plug tomorrow if they wanted to, however it would be expensive, and money is something that Ford cannot afford to lose any more of right now. The problem is that you will eventually take a hit on your consumer base if issues are not addressed.

If you believe that spark plugs will last(and perform optimal) for 100k miles and over, then thats your opinion. But the majority of car buffs and DIY will dissagree with you. But either way, how long a spark plug will last is not the issue here, its simply a smoke screen thrown out by a few to distract from the real problem here, and that is that by the time 100k miles comes around, good luck getting your plugs out.....
. . and all of that is just opinion, I'll agree to disagree.

PS: I already took my plugs out with no problems.

Quick Reply: Spark plug disaster yes or no???