2004 - 2008 F-150

Happy to Irritated in 3 hours - LED Tail 3rd Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL I m damn tired and didnt think clear hehhe! "R" as a revsere.
what i meant is that do you notice bright when upgrade to LEDs 3rd brake light from stock at night ?

Thanks!
YOMAN!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by adfox77
I got the same email. Mine is supposed to be delivered today, so hopefully i wont have any problems installing it. Any tips?
Just don't push too hard to get the light sockets to snap in when you turn them. Doesn't take much for the clip part to snap off. When it didn't snap in right away, I used a small amount of graphite powder on the socket and it twisted and locked in nicely. Also had to use the graphite to get the LED plug to pop into the middle socket fully.

For everyone who has this light now, is it just me, or do the cargo lights not light the bed at all now. I love the look of the light, but my cargo lights are aiming above and beyond the tailgate. If this was discussed on another thread, my apologies. Thanx!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by YOMAN
LOL I m damn tired and didnt think clear hehhe! "R" as a revsere.
what i meant is that do you notice bright when upgrade to LEDs 3rd brake light from stock at night ?

Thanks!
YOMAN!
It actually is a little dimmer than the stock third brake light. It is bright enough but not as bright as before. Before I could see a red reflection on tailgate when stepping on the brake at night but now I barely see the reflection. Not the best quality LED's I'm sure. Also the cargo lights are very bright but aimed wrong. They barely through any light into the bed but blind everyone standing behind the truck. I love the look of this light, so much better than stock clear but I hate the poor performance. I'm still debating whether I should leave it on.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BirdmanZX7
For everyone who has this light now, is it just me, or do the cargo lights not light the bed at all now. I love the look of the light, but my cargo lights are aiming above and beyond the tailgate. If this was discussed on another thread, my apologies. Thanx!
I noticed that the cargo area is not as bright as it was with the stock light, but I can live with it since the light looks sooo much better than the OEM one. I still think it was a nice mod. Really looks good on a dark colored truck!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice, mine went on no problem last night. I think it lights up the bed just as well as before, which was not great to begin with

Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Well...just got mine in yesterday...and it was jinxed from the start....ordered from proexhaust and finally shipped after two week. UPS guy backed into my driveway and went off the side and got stuck in the ditch beside my driveway that I just paid big $$$ to get dug out and graded this fall. Putting the light in was pretty straight forward except twisting the bulb housings into the new light was kind of hard. Got everything in, the screws back in and everything is looking good until I test the brake light. The middle row of LEDs weren't lighting up....of course, my initial reaction because I did not want to take the whole thing back apart was to do the "tap on it and hope it starts working deal" with no luck. Soooo I take the screws out and turn over the light and disconnect the wire for the LED portion. I had to take a pair of pliers to twist the plug out for the LED plug, but the cargo light plug would not come out...I was able to twist them but it seemed like one of the tabs was too big for the opening. At this point I thought I was sol, but on a whim I figured I'd try the brake lights again, so I plugged it back in and braced the brake pedal. Sure enough now all the LEDs are working so I screwed the fixture back into place. I don't know what made it not work to begin with, but I checked it tonight after my commute to and from work and it is still working perfectly. As far as the cargo lights go, I must be in the minority since I feel it lights up the bed of the truck better than the stock unit. I have a Supercab, six and a half foot box, don't know if some of you guys have Supercrews and the shorter box makes a difference IDK. All said, I'm very happy with this product as long as it keeps working and would recommend it to others.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shookman34
...As far as the cargo lights go, I must be in the minority since I feel it lights up the bed of the truck better than the stock unit. I have a Supercab, six and a half foot box, don't know if some of you guys have Supercrews and the shorter box makes a difference IDK. All said, I'm very happy with this product as long as it keeps working and would recommend it to others.

Glad to hear that it worked out... sounds like a poor connection on the connector or something on that row of LEDs...

I actually said that I thought it was more 'directed' light with the cargo lights... I definitely agree that I think that it'd light up the bed better than stock.

Quick Reply: Happy to Irritated in 3 hours - LED Tail 3rd Brake Light