2004 - 2008 F-150

Where is my edge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to this site but I don't know if this has been covered:

I got home today after washing my truck and I was doing some minor detailing (armor all etc.) and I decide to pop the hood. Oh how I hate the stock air baffles on the intake. I have a K&N so I decided to pop off the baffles. Has this been covered? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this? I have a pic but I can't figure out how to paste it on my post.

Bluejay: I'm looking at a sales position in the golf course industry up there actually. But if that doesn't work out I will be back on the golf course somewhere in that area. I'm a ClubCorp employee so there is plenty of courses up there for me to fall back on.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ktexas
I'm new to this site but I don't know if this has been covered:

I got home today after washing my truck and I was doing some minor detailing (armor all etc.) and I decide to pop the hood. Oh how I hate the stock air baffles on the intake. I have a K&N so I decided to pop off the baffles. Has this been covered? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this? I have a pic but I can't figure out how to paste it on my post.

Bluejay: I'm looking at a sales position in the golf course industry up there actually. But if that doesn't work out I will be back on the golf course somewhere in that area. I'm a ClubCorp employee so there is plenty of courses up there for me to fall back on.
Is your truck a 4.6 or a 5.4? Not sure what you are referring to as baffles. The silencer can be removed from the 4.6, but the 5.4 set up is a lot different. There have been lots of discussion of intake mods, do a search on the subject and see what you bring up. A lot of discussion is about the dangers of leaning out the engine as they tend to run lean to start with.

Good luck with your job change. Lots of great courses around here.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 AM
theres a big thread about this on fordtruckworld.com.

the 04's have 4 cats, while the 05's have only two. Only the front 2 cats are monitored, while the 2 rear ones are just an afterthought. torque and HP numbers (as i recall) were the same for both trucks, with only 2 and with 4, and a noticable increase in power when the 2 rear "cats" were deleted.

In a nutshell, its ok to strip off those two rear ones, if you have them. It won't mess with emmissions, and it won't mess with the monitoring system in your truck. You WILL notice an increase in performance as the truck breathes better without the restriction.

I've done it, and you'll thank yourself after spending the time to do it. while your at it, throw on a magnaflow true-x and you're in business.

and yes... take the baffle out, it will breathe better as well, but its been proven, the best air for intake is taken through the fender well...

Last edited by Dribone; 11-21-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Dribone
just remember when you adjust your settings in a custom tune, return it to stock before trying another custom tune, or you'll be tuning over your tune, and your setting won't be true.

if you set it to level 3, you'll never go down to 2, trust me.

silverfish has a good tune in his signature, but it sucks fuel like no tomorrow. I drive mine almost eveyday, I've done custom tunes and just the #3, and for everyday, highway and backroads, the plain #3 is just fine.
I have not been going back to stock on a custom tune,this might be why my Level 3 does not feel strong.My truck has always felt stronger on Level 2.Thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Global Moderator &

There seems to be a lot of difference between trucks. I have run almost the same specs as Silverfish on level 3 for several months. I get 17 to 17.5 mpg running around the Metroplex and jumping on it occasionally. That is better mileage than I get out of the stock or level 2 tune.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM
when i used to run level 2, 80 miles a day i would average between 21 and 22 mpg. went up to level 3 and it dropped to right around 18.

silverfish's tune dropped me down to 17 or so.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dribone
when i used to run level 2, 80 miles a day i would average between 21 and 22 mpg. went up to level 3 and it dropped to right around 18.

silverfish's tune dropped me down to 17 or so.
I get about 19.5 on the highway driving 75 to 80. Plus, its a lot of two lane highway where you slow down and accelerate a lot. that has to reduce your mileage.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Last trip with the Four-Wheeler in the back of the truck,I got 15.7 mpg HWY.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
I GOT MY EDGE TODAY!!!!!!! I'm reading the instructions from cover to cover right now and then I'm gonna go plug it in! I still have my baffles (5.4L) off today and I did quite a few WOT runs around town today. The sound is different and I can feel it in the throttle both pick up and go and a vibration. I still don't know if I should leave it this way or put the baffles back.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by ktexas
I GOT MY EDGE TODAY!!!!!!! I'm reading the instructions from cover to cover right now and then I'm gonna go plug it in! I still have my baffles (5.4L) off today and I did quite a few WOT runs around town today. The sound is different and I can feel it in the throttle both pick up and go and a vibration. I still don't know if I should leave it this way or put the baffles back.
I would still like to know what the baffles are. I am baffled.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
on my 05 5.4L there is plastic housing from the fender to the throttle body where the filter sits. There are baffles built in the plastic, it's not a straight smooth pipe to the throttle body. I just took it out and let the air come straight to the filter without resriction. The fan blows air directly into the filter. my own little blower right? Tell me how to post a picture and i will show you what I'm talking about.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Now you are really confusing me. What fan? The air comes into the black tube from the fender hole opening and moves down the tube. There are some chambers attached to the side of the tube that serve as silencers. It seems that there are some baffles in side the tube as well(at least that is what I think you are saying). But where does the fan come in? Are you talking about a stock intake or is this an aftermarket?

Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
your right about the intake from the fender, and the silencers (I have been calling them baffles stupidly), but the STOCK fan I have blows air directly into the open hole under the filter where the plastic tubing used to be.

Last edited by ktexas; 11-21-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
i get what you're saying... i wouldn't do that. spend the money for a real intake, like a volant or AF1

Old 11-21-2006, 06:21 PM
get some pics

Quick Reply: Where is my edge?