2004 - 2008 F-150

Any 2005 owners cure the steering wheel nibble?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wouldn't this reduce the life of the tires?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM
To answer the question:

A Loaded Silver Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Limited.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Forrest_F150
To answer the question:

A Loaded Silver Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Limited.
The hard truth is, I don't know of any other truck that has a similar, unfixable problem. For Ford, their only choice is to ignore the problem as they are unable to fix it on the current chassis. Only a complete re-design of the front end is going to do anything. This problem can affect 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 F150 trucks. The only people that would benefit from this thread would be potential new buyers, which is unlikely. Only people that have had this problem will see these threads and avoid the unfixed F150's rolling off the line today. I would not buy another F150 until there was some sign that a change had taken place. But that, is also unlikely.

Last edited by MeanGene; 01-02-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by Forrest_F150
To answer the question:

A Loaded Silver Toyota Turdra CrewMax 4x4 Limited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6KmwB2LyY

Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by cannonballgsu
wouldn't this reduce the life of the tires?
No, 48 is fine.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
max PSI

TIRE RATING - Being an "E" rated BFG the max load is 3640 single with 80 psi.
AIR PRESSURE - Its just my personal trial and errors with air pressure and traction in deep snow and slicker-than-$#@!-ice. It does make a difference offroad, but on the highway at greater speeds once you break loose you are screwed no matter what air pressure you run. I personally have better braking response and grip when I do play around with the ABS

Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
holy crap!

Ok humor me this. My tired are load rated at (whatever) at 50PSI max. Does that mean I can run the pressure up to 50 PSI? I was running them 35 PSI and for ships and giggles I pumped them up to 50.
The ride is somewhat rougher (duh) but the nimble factor has improved and the turning/response seems more controlled. Now that's for my 35" Pro Comp Xterrians. Give me a few more days of toying with the higher pressure theory before I say this definitely does help.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Impact9
holy crap!

Ok humor me this. My tired are load rated at (whatever) at 50PSI max. Does that mean I can run the pressure up to 50 PSI? I was running them 35 PSI and for ships and giggles I pumped them up to 50.
The ride is somewhat rougher (duh) but the nimble factor has improved and the turning/response seems more controlled. Now that's for my 35" Pro Comp Xterrians. Give me a few more days of toying with the higher pressure theory before I say this definitely does help.
If you want to roll your truck after a blow out, by all means run them at 50 psi.

I solved my steering wheel nibble by getting a pair of decent tires. Off-road tires will nibble. Oversized tires can nibble. Garbage stock tires can definitely nibble. The performance Toyo Proxies S/T's I just purchased ride smooth as butter.

The trick is to get a pair of tires that have a reasonable amount of nylon in them. They are less proned to flop around once they warm up.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM
kinda of off topic, but this is pretty neat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0&NR=1

Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 AM
What is a road force balance?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by kyleplewis
What is a road force balance?
They balance the tire is a special machine that applies pressure to it while it spins analyzing the balance to recreate actual running conditions of the wheel.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I find it very odd that guys say the tires are the cause of the nibble. The trucks don't leave the lot with the problem, so it can't be the stock tires. It started becoming a topic after X amount of miles. Mine started somewhere in the 60K range. I have 2 sets of the stock 17's for winter, and 20" Goodyears for the summer, so it's not the tire wear causing it. It happened no matter what set I was running.

Now this is where it's kinda odd. I'm now at 73K and have a blown out shock on the drivers front. No nibble.... Not exactly sure when it stopped, but very odd that it's mysteriously gone. Is it possible that the shocks are worn and causing the wheel shake? Around what mileage have you guys noticed the wheel shaking at? And has anyone noticed the nibble present after having new shocks added?

Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 PM
First of all, I don't believe the steering wheel nibble problem is due to a specific problem like a wheel being bad or out of balance or anything else. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking but hear me out. Our trucks are very sensitive to a certain frequency of vibration which has a peak resonance while driving around 65 MPH and results in a steering wheel nibble. All of the items in my sig line can influence this frequency that results in the nibble, but they, in themselves are not the problem, but each can contribute to the problem. You can reduce the nibble by reducing a components contribution to the frequency, but you will never remove the problem until you change the trucks resonate frequency with regard to the steering input.

Second, I applaud all who contribute their suggestions to the issue and all are valid to them. We just have to take into consideration that what works for one truck may not work for another. The reason I say this is to help people understand that there is no fix. Yes, all good suggestions and under the right conditions can have some influence on the steering wheel nibble. But, if someone really wants to solve the problem I think we would be reading about modifications that involve the frame or body. I fear that this is a problem that only the factory can take care.

Third, I tried increasing the pressure in my tires from 35 PSI to 45 PSI. Just so you know this is the 3rd set of tires. 1st set stock 18" BFG's, 2nd set 20" FX4 rims and Pirelli Scorpions, Current Kumho V rated. All had the steering nibble. Now, with the change in pressure I noticed that the nibble was not reduced but moved up in the MPH range from the usual 60-70 MPH range to the 65-75 MPH range. So again, not a fix, but another influence on the infamous steering wheel nibble.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
The good news is there are a lot of (most) F150's running around that do not have the steering wheel nibble problem. It may seem obvious, but the most likely contributor to the vibration issue will be in the front end. (I know genious, right?) Anyway take a look at this article from Undercar Digest about front brakes and the steering wheel nibble problem. It is perhapes the best article I have read that address the issue of steering wheel nibble caused by brake problems, starting around page 20.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 AM
New Driveshaft

I had the same symptons, after 55 mph increased up to 80 mph then disappeared. They replaced the driveshaft, no more problems. I suggest a balance of the shaft or replacing it...

Quick Reply: Any 2005 owners cure the steering wheel nibble?