2004 - 2008 F-150

Has anybody replaced the bed caps???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody replaced the bed caps???

The black plastic bed caps on my truck have faded something terrible. They look almost white in some places. I have to take my tool box off to repaint the lid on it sometime soon and I have thought about also replacing the caps. The questions being, am I in for any suprises replacing them and how much is the Ford dealer getting for the caps? I assume the caps just snap on to the bed, or have they used some damn double sided tape?

Old 11-11-2006, 01:04 AM
I've been looking for some black diamond plate bed rail caps to replace mine. I think UWS makes some but they're website is confusing. Bushwacker has some nice looking ones too but they don't fit our trucks.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by bladefl
The black plastic bed caps on my truck have faded something terrible. They look almost white in some places. I have to take my tool box off to repaint the lid on it sometime soon and I have thought about also replacing the caps. The questions being, am I in for any suprises replacing them and how much is the Ford dealer getting for the caps? I assume the caps just snap on to the bed, or have they used some damn double sided tape?
Save yourself some money and try Mothers Back-to-Black [LINK].

I've been using it several cars over the last few years for exactly this type of thing and it works like a dream.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Back to Black

I agree. Back to Black did wonders for my caps. Not perfectly restored, but close enough. If you did decide to replace the caps, they snap off.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Let me throw in my vote for 303 AEROSPACE. They have it at Amazon and most boat/rv dealers.

AMAZING stuff. It will clean & protect your black plastic, just be watch the overspray, as it can look greasy on paint. Best to apply to an applicator and then wipe down the rails.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my black bedcaps and tailgate cap with the tan ones from a King Ranch a few months ago. The bed caps just snap off but you do have to remove the screws on the acess plate on the tailgate to get that cap off. They were suprisingly cheap. My employee price for all three pieces was about fifty bucks! Retail should be about $75.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
So they are easy to install and pretty cheap as well? I've been thinking about doing this as well because I bought my truck off my dad and he had a toolbox and went to town with screws to hold it in. Bout made me sick when I bought the truck and we took the box off.

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Try this site. Looks like they run about $47 each. http://www.genuine-ford-parts.com/

Old 11-11-2006, 03:41 PM
I might give the back to black a shot before replacing them. I have been putting black magic on them and it just dosen't get the job done anymore. The Florida sunshine is very unforgiving.

Appartently I won't be able to replace the tail gate cap even if I wanted to since you have to take the access panel off to do it. I had a spray in bed liner put in when I bought the truck. At the time I didn't realize that they weren't going to remove and plug the bolt holes prior to spraying. The only thing they did remove prior to spraying were the anchor points. Other then them they sprayed everything, so I cann't get the access panel off the tailgate.

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited by bladefl; 11-11-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Black to black did NOTHING for mine. I used 303 and other protectant on mine... didnt work.

ford used cheap plastic.

I thought about buying the street scene smooth bed caps, but they're too expensive.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:02 PM
i was thinking about the street scene ones but am also thinking about getting a smoothed stainless set and get them powdercoated black to match my retrax bed cover.

Quick Reply: Has anybody replaced the bed caps???