2004 - 2008 F-150

How can I repair a wire in my radio wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I repair a wire in my radio wiring harness?

My right front speaker has off and on static. It is because the wire inside the wiring harness is loose. Is there any way to fix this problem...easily...inexpensively...quickly?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 11:15 PM
If your talking about the pin in the block you could use a dab of super glue. Just make sure its sitting all the way in before it sets, and fully dries before reconnecting it.

I know some of you would probably disagree, however, I do a lot of aircraft wire repair in the Air Force and it is a legal practice (although its used as a last resort).

Old 11-08-2006, 10:19 AM
You will need to do some wiggle testing.Could be a problem in the door,loose connection in the harness behind the radio.
But as a rule loose connections are easy to fix.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I agree with bronkx1, usually easy to fix. If wiggle testing has revealed the problem to be at the pin in the harness, I personally would try soldering it back in there. That is just what I personally would try. If that didn't fix it, I'd see about switching the harness out (if it is on the truck side of the connector) or switching to an aftermarket head unit (if it was on the head unit side of the connector).

Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 AM
The wiggle test was already completed. It is the wire connection into white plastic thing that plugs into the back of the radio.

It doesn't look like the white thing comes apart. Does it? How could I get a soldering iron in that tiny of a hole?

Old 11-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by psk256
If your talking about the pin in the block you could use a dab of super glue. Just make sure its sitting all the way in before it sets, and fully dries before reconnecting it.

I know some of you would probably disagree, however, I do a lot of aircraft wire repair in the Air Force and it is a legal practice (although its used as a last resort).

Please refer me to the technical order that allows you to use super glue to fix a connector? In my 20+ years aircraft repair, I never saw anything that said you can use super glue. Does it work? Yes. Is it legal? No.

BTW, be careful with super glue as it is conductive until it has fully cured.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:25 PM
The pin should snap back into the connector. If not, one option would be soldering. Match the wire with the other connecting wire on the other side. Cut, strip, splice, and solder. Use heat shrink or electrical tape to keep it from shorting to ground. Or replace the connector. But, the pin should snap back in. Oh and no superglue.

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by worland
Please refer me to the technical order that allows you to use super glue to fix a connector? In my 20+ years aircraft repair, I never saw anything that said you can use super glue. Does it work? Yes. Is it legal? No.

BTW, be careful with super glue as it is conductive until it has fully cured.
1-1A-14, i'll find you the section when I go back to work next week. Let me add this is legal as a "temp" fix only if you really want to get in to specifics. Its a big book, a lot of things you might never know unless you have 40 hours a week to read all of them.

Last edited by psk256; 11-10-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: How can I repair a wire in my radio wiring harness?