2004 - 2008 F-150

efan research issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to pick up two fans (not real sure what ones yet). I'll look into specs on my one for those.

Then I'm going to make my own mount. not a shroud. Something to effect of two stainless bars that go parallel (sp?) across the radiator. Then mount the fans to that. Then I'm going to get two controllers and two probes. I'm going to go with two cheap controllers. Both fans will have different temps. I will probably set the one fan to 200 and that's all it does. the other fan I will set to about 225 as a fail safe. But I'm also going to wire it to a relay that gets switched from the ac clutch. Whenever that clutch is shut, the fan will be on.

In theory this seems like what i would get for the $400, but i'll end up at have the price. As for the LED's, I haven't researched it yet, but I'll find something on the net. probably someone over on the12volt knows exactly what i'm looking for.

The only issue I'm having is that when you pop off that factory fan shroud, what are you left with. I really don't want to hack the thing apart. But i don't want the top of the radiator to look like crap either. Maybe i will just get a piece of stainless and make a cover. I think I just saw them do that on Trucks. The project s10k had efans, and they just happened to have new SS scrap with the wrapper thrown in a corner. I'll have to go check the corners of my house, lol.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Yeah, you can re-use the cover.

For the LED's (and I'm assuming you still want "fans-turning" confirmation)... I just thought of one possible way to do it cheaply.

Use 2 very small pc fans, each one mounted behind a main fan. When the bigs ones run, the flow will spin the little guys like generators, and use can use that output to derive a speed signal. The rest of the circuit's easy. May be kludgey, but workable in a pinch - and cheap!

A more expensive way involves some measurements to determine the running current of each fan and what they do 'stalled'. The difference betwen the two would be your "I'm running" signal.

Cheers
Bubba
Good ideas, but depending the speed of the vehicle (mine is ~55mph and up) the fans will spin and give a false feedback...but then again at that speed the fans are not often on..

I figure if you can at least know there is voltage going to the fans and they are new and in good clean condition you can safely assume (I know) that they are spinning. Plus, if you have voltage going to a "stuck" fan you will get the burning electronics smell...which can only be mistaken for roasted desert iguana..

R/
Craig

Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi.

Yeah, you can re-use the cover.

For the LED's (and I'm assuming you still want "fans-turning" confirmation)... I just thought of one possible way to do it cheaply.

Use 2 very small pc fans, each one mounted behind a main fan. When the bigs ones run, the flow will spin the little guys like generators, and use can use that output to derive a speed signal. The rest of the circuit's easy. May be kludgey, but workable in a pinch - and cheap!

A more expensive way involves some measurements to determine the running current of each fan and what they do 'stalled'. The difference betwen the two would be your "I'm running" signal.

Cheers
Bubba
I was thinking much easier. I think I figured out exactly what i'm going to do, just have to figure out my wiring for the dual led's.

I'm going to get a limit switch and mount a small little ear on it. I'll get it tensioned correctly to where wind from driving doesn't affect it. When the fan blows it bumps the switch. causing my green LED to light up. When the switch is not depressed it causes my red LED to light up. The key to the simple side is that the switches power line is the fans power. So if the controller isn't sending the power, there are no LED's lit. But when the controller sends that power, I'll know what's happening.

It's really simple, but I had hard time relaying that into works. My brain is faster then my fingers.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by crudeau
I was thinking much easier. I think I figured out exactly what i'm going to do, just have to figure out my wiring for the dual led's.

I'm going to get a limit switch and mount a small little ear on it. I'll get it tensioned correctly to where wind from driving doesn't affect it. When the fan blows it bumps the switch. causing my green LED to light up. When the switch is not depressed it causes my red LED to light up. The key to the simple side is that the switches power line is the fans power. So if the controller isn't sending the power, there are no LED's lit. But when the controller sends that power, I'll know what's happening.

It's really simple, but I had hard time relaying that into works. My brain is faster then my fingers.
I like the idea and look forward to seeing pics of it...but, you are using something mechanical to give you positive/negative feedback on something else mechanical...my only concern would be one or the other failing and getting a false feedback. For instance: the switch gets dirty and gets stuck, either open or closed.

Either way, good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress..

R/
Craig

Old 11-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I realize this too. I need the fans and for them to be installed. then the brain just clicks and run with it. I think mechanical is the only real way. Electrically, fans are good for shorting out. So it's way to easy to get flase positives. But I really think the mechanical side can be worked. There's tons of switches out there as well. Maybe, I'll just put a webcam on top of my alternator and watch the fans ;^)

Old 11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Suspended
I realize this too. I need the fans and for them to be installed. then the brain just clicks and run with it. I think mechanical is the only real way. Electrically, fans are good for shorting out. So it's way to easy to get flase positives. But I really think the mechanical side can be worked. There's tons of switches out there as well. Maybe, I'll just put a webcam on top of my alternator and watch the fans ;^)
Or a microphone...you could listen to them come on..

Craig

Old 11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
won't hear em over the radio. Cut some holes in my hood, and use streamers attached to the fan grilles. Or I could mount some kazoo's to the fans.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
My secondary fan is not associated with any A/C wiring because if I'm actually moving at 40MPH or above.. like highway speeds, I don't need either fan on.. air speed will cool the radiator and AC condenser.

The second fan is only for when I'm at the track wanting to cool down a little bit, or in heavy traffic with the AC on... That's it..

Old 11-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option - get the Troyer kit - they've updated the controllers, and then buy & use the nylon pins instead of the brass ones from (somebody?) to mount them.

Cheers
Bubba
So they updated their controllers, but fail to publically own up to the problem? Are us Troyer customers who have burnt out controllers going to have them replaced? I'm very curious because I am running my truck with 2 non-working fans right now, luckily it's almost winter. Watching my temps is a task on it's own until I can wire them to a relay.

Looks pretty easy to fab up. I'm going to go with the troyer. I figure even if their controllers suck. There are two of them. Once it gets here, I'll figure out my plan of attack on the mount, and later the LEDs. I'm getting a two pod gauge mount, so i figure i'll tie the leds into that someone.
Both controllers are damaged in every case that I've heard of.

Last edited by Josiah; 11-02-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
So they updated their controllers, but fail to publically own up to the problem? Are us Troyer customers who have burnt out controllers going to have them replaced? I'm very curious because I am running my truck with 2 non-working fans right now, luckily it's almost winter. Watching my temps is a task on it's own until I can wire them to a relay.

Both controllers are damaged in every case that I've heard of.
J;

Can't help you with that, if the Q was directed at me - this is old news from you - and I'm just passing along what was stated in another post ...

Not all their controllers have failed - I have an 'old' version still running fine after 2+ years in another application. Lots of other folks do as well.

To me it seems your solution is simple - manual overrides PLUS another brand of controller or the new & improved ones.

In retrospect, I hear ya - the design could have been better, and the replacement could have been handled better - I know I was real careful with mine, and I used an external relay from the start.

BTW - How are your mounts holding out with all that bashing?

Cheers
Bubba

Old 11-03-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
J;

Can't help you with that, if the Q was directed at me - this is old news from you - and I'm just passing along what was stated in another post ...

Not all their controllers have failed - I have an 'old' version still running fine after 2+ years in another application. Lots of other folks do as well.

To me it seems your solution is simple - manual overrides PLUS another brand of controller or the new & improved ones.

In retrospect, I hear ya - the design could have been better, and the replacement could have been handled better - I know I was real careful with mine, and I used an external relay from the start.

BTW - How are your mounts holding out with all that bashing?

Cheers
Bubba
They're holding up ok, no leaks yet knock on wood. Some pins have came out, but not enough to cause too much concern. The rubber grommet backings do not work terribly well when put to abuse but I knew this method going into it so who am I to complain. I agree, the controller issues should be handled better but what can we do. The solution is simple, but I'm going to wire a switched on with manual masterswitch/override somewhere in cab, and a couple indicator lights.

Last edited by Josiah; 11-03-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: efan research issues