2004 - 2008 F-150

Hankook tires wearing again

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hankook tires wearing again

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the Hankook tires wearing on the inside and outside. I had to have all four of my tires replaced and a front end alignment done in may at 12,000 due to the passengers side tires wearing on the out side and the drivers side tires wearing on the inside..they did all four since the back tires were messed up from being on the front for 6000 miles and being rotated the back...

I have had a vibration in the frontend for about a month now and I looked at the tires and they are just as bad if not worse than before..I have 17000 miles on it now and I was wondering what to do??

I hate to let them put the good rear tires up on the front and ruin them the same way...I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and if so how did ford correct it.

the first time they siad there was a TSB for it and I was wondering if that TSB would cover it again since it is the same issue...I personally feel that they should be putting a better tire on the truck and it might help out..

let me know if you have any ideas

thanks

Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM
the government agency i work for bought a bunch of f150's and f250's and they all came with hankook tires, we had so many problems with them that we changed all of them out. we had some bad vibration issues with them even when balanced, once placed on the trucks the dynamics created vibrations.

we decided to change all of them out to save the tire shop time, chasing vibrations was wasting the tire shop and aligment shops time and we had many other vehicles that needed to be delt with that were normal service issues, so we decided to change to Michelins and short of a nail or blown tire, we have no issues with the trucks as far as vibrations.

when we bought for the family 35 f150's and some f250's we specified that the tires be Michelin or vehicle was rejected, as per our contract this was a reason to reject a vehicle, dealer could not replace tire and give us the truck, when 2 showed up with hankook, we rejected and dealer had to replace the vehicles.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your trying to get satisfaction from the Hangook tires, youre wasting your time. The tires are cheap and I cannot believe Ford would use them on their number one selling pickup truck. I guess saving a few bucks and cutting corners is more important than making a quality product. I also had my Hangook tires replaced at around 5000miles, and I then later replaced them with some quality tires, Bridgestone Revos. Also the Hangooks are a passenger rated tire...on a truck!!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:32 PM
This isn't a tire issue it's clearly an alignment problem. There is/was something mechanically wrong with the truck that is/was causing the tires to wear improperly. Are they inflated to the proper pressure? On a vehicle this heavy that becomes critical. The Hankook tires are not as bad as everybody likes to believe. I've got 50,000 miles on mine with no issues whatsoever. Somebody's saying right now "you just got a good set". Keep in mind there are 4 of 'em and if they are truly as bad as some like to believe then I should have had a problem with at least one.

As for them being passenger tires, this is done for one reason only. Passenger tires give a quieter, smoother ride.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
This isn't a tire issue it's clearly an alignment problem. There is/was something mechanically wrong with the truck that is/was causing the tires to wear improperly. Are they inflated to the proper pressure? On a vehicle this heavy that becomes critical. The Hankook tires are not as bad as everybody likes to believe. I've got 50,000 miles on mine with no issues whatsoever. Somebody's saying right now "you just got a good set". Keep in mind there are 4 of 'em and if they are truly as bad as some like to believe then I should have had a problem with at least one.

As for them being passenger tires, this is done for one reason only. Passenger tires give a quieter, smoother ride.

x2 15,000miles

Old 10-21-2006, 02:19 PM
I had the Hankook on my rig when new. Drove it about 50 miles with them on... felt like I was driving on jelly rolls or something. Truck was way too "rolly polly" with those cheap tires on. Did not matter for me though as I had already planned to replace the factory tires/wheels with some good stuff.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:23 PM
My F-150 came with General tires and I was happy with the smooth quality ride, traction and handling. I put BFG AT KO tires on and the appearance looks nicer and they are stronger, but the smooth ride isn't as smooth, it's bouncy over bumps, and it takes longer to stop. Plus they cost about $1,000.00 and I had to replace one bad tire that wouldn't balance. Yes, you can criticize the tires Ford puts on compared to "the good stuff". But there are tradeoffs.

Last edited by rocky85; 10-21-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by stylinf150
I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the Hankook tires wearing on the inside and outside. I had to have all four of my tires replaced and a front end alignment done in may at 12,000 due to the passengers side tires wearing on the out side and the drivers side tires wearing on the inside..they did all four since the back tires were messed up from being on the front for 6000 miles and being rotated the back...

I have had a vibration in the frontend for about a month now and I looked at the tires and they are just as bad if not worse than before..I have 17000 miles on it now and I was wondering what to do??

I hate to let them put the good rear tires up on the front and ruin them the same way...I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and if so how did ford correct it.

the first time they siad there was a TSB for it and I was wondering if that TSB would cover it again since it is the same issue...I personally feel that they should be putting a better tire on the truck and it might help out..

let me know if you have any ideas

thanks

Get rid of those cheapo tires and get Bridgestones, GY, BFG's, Nitto, Kuhmo anything but Hankook.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:59 AM
My 06 F150 Scab came with Generals, at 6500 mi tire rotation had front end "shimmy". Tires were balanced 2x and road forced balanced that "solved" it. Rotated tires at 10k and it "shimmyed" again. Dealer ran TSBs and put 4 new road force balanced Generals on . Still have slight shimmy that occurs at 60 - 70 mph. Got to be those cheap "south of the border" tires. There was a TSB on "unsatisfactory wear" on this model General made prior to 6/05. Guess there may be another coming soon. ( Grabber 245/75R - 17)

Old 10-22-2006, 10:01 AM
My truck is 06 F150 XLT Scab, 8' bed. heavy duty payload, tow pkg and have a ARE aluminum cap

Old 10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
thanks for all the input...I have always kept the tire pressure identical to what the drivers door states and also I drive about 80% on the highway. I am taking it in on Friday for oil change and fuel filter and they are supposed to rotate the tires...They have told me over the phone that this is a rotation issue and I should be rotating them every 2-3000 miles due to it being a truck...I have never had a truck that had to have tires rotated less than every 5000 miles. I was wondering if anyone on here new if this could be a bad shock or possibly something in the steering rack that is messed up...I had the frontend aligned at 12000 when the new tires where put on and it drives straight down the road...let me know what you think...I want to get rid of these Hankook tires if they are the issue but I dont feel that I should have to pay for this since they are factory issued...do you think they would try another brand tire on it and see if it helps???

thanks

Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
This is great, you guys have had the same issues identicle to my painter's truck, an 04 4x4 wiht the 235/75/17 hankook's. He swapped to my old goodyear at/s' and likes em. I guess they will argue with the dealer about these tires so when the lease is up they don't owe for replacements. I just replaced mine and gave him my old ones with around 90 000 km's on them and I beat them constantly they still are in good shape. I touched the old hankook's that were against the wall and they are flimsey as hell and I guess were a bitch to get off. Lesson learned Ford? I hope so. These fellas have done the field research and the Hankook's suck ***, stick with goodyear or BFG's, even Toyo's.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 PM
I had hankooks originally on my Chevrolet 2500 HD, and it was fine for quite awhile.. The front tires wore unevenly though.. We then replaced all the tires, and the ride was greatly improved. The hankooks were a 10 ply tire though, so that could/was probably the issue.. I don't know why they wore unevenly though... I have liked Goodyear car tires, but the truck tires are not worth a crap if you ever leave a paved road.. They got flats all of the time..

The general tires that were an "upgrade" (I believe a $2xx option) on my 06' F-150 are junk, and I really hate them.. I leased it, so there is not many options for me.. I really don't want to put tires on it if I am just going to turn it in... If I decide to keep it, it is going to get lifted. I will purchase BFG's or Toyo's at that point. The dealership is a waste of time in terms of dealing with the tire issues. They don't give a flying fock, and in my experience so far... Ford has to have the worst customer service I have ever seen, based on all of the Ford dealerships I have been to... I really like the truck, but there is no decent service departments... Sorry for the rant, I just get frustrated thinking about their horrible attitude when it comes to taking care of their customers...

Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 98UltraZ
I had hankooks originally on my Chevrolet 2500 HD, and it was fine for quite awhile.. The front tires wore unevenly though.. We then replaced all the tires, and the ride was greatly improved. The hankooks were a 10 ply tire though, so that could/was probably the issue.. I don't know why they wore unevenly though... I have liked Goodyear car tires, but the truck tires are not worth a crap if you ever leave a paved road.. They got flats all of the time..

The general tires that were an "upgrade" (I believe a $2xx option) on my 06' F-150 are junk, and I really hate them.. I leased it, so there is not many options for me.. I really don't want to put tires on it if I am just going to turn it in... If I decide to keep it, it is going to get lifted. I will purchase BFG's or Toyo's at that point. The dealership is a waste of time in terms of dealing with the tire issues. They don't give a flying fock, and in my experience so far... Ford has to have the worst customer service I have ever seen, based on all of the Ford dealerships I have been to... I really like the truck, but there is no decent service departments... Sorry for the rant, I just get frustrated thinking about their horrible attitude when it comes to taking care of their customers...

I agree completely. I took the truck to several dealerships after a friends Hangook tire blew causing a nasty wreck and asked why Ford used such as thin sidewall passenger tire on a heavy fullsize truck. They pretty much blew me off like I was a nobody. I called Ford customer service, which was a dead end as well. After the dealership replaced the tires for defects and still having problems with them, I said Im taking matters in my own hands if Ford will not take responsibility. Once I put on the Bridgestone Revos, the truck felt so much more responsive and stable. THe old Hangooks even new had way too much sidewall flex due to the thin sidewalls and overall poor quality. I wouldnt even think of towing anything with them after a buddy had his accident due to sidewall blowout.

Diehard Hangook fans can tell me all day that the tires are great for the F150 due to "passenger car" like ride. But I bought my truck to tow and be a truck, not pretend its a car. If I wanted a car, I would have bought one. I want a tire that is capable of handling the truck weight as well as a load, and of course do still ride smooth and handle various surfaces well. Now there are many tires on the market that are capable of this, are they more expensive, sure, but $25 a tire is worth it if it means avoiding wrecks and maintaining peace of mind. If those are the tradeoffs that some speak of, than Id rather have safety over saving a few bucks any day.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69

I don't know man, seems funny that many people, both on this site, other sites and locals have the exact same issues about the exact same tires. My painter that has the truck in question has had this truck checked for every alignment you can, totally square. It is too flimsey of tire, pizza cutter like. He had a similar problem on a van once, turned out to be the tires were too narrow. I've never felt a tire that soft and thin, a disgrace really. Even the passenger car tire I just removed from a rim (off a crown vic) is way more solid. Sometimes you just need proof that size matters and quality is key. Ford then uses alot of Pirelli tires too so they can't be too stingey about tires.

Quick Reply: Hankook tires wearing again