2004 - 2008 F-150

Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Projectors

So my brother is looking to put projectors in his F150. I was looking through Ebay and most of the ones they have there say the projector headlights are not compatible with an HID Kit. Has anyone found or bought and successfully installed a projector headlight system and put an HID Kit in it?

Also, I noticed in one of the threads here, someone said that the projectors were your high beams. If that is the case, then I don't really see a point in buying projectors if you cant use the actually projector lens since it is the high beam bulb and I would not want to blind any oncoming traffic, you know? Any suggestions about projectors??

Old 09-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Someone on here has done the HID's in the projector headlight. From what I remember it worked out good. The high beams and the driving lights are in two different places so you will not blind anyone.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
Someone on here has done the HID's in the projector headlight. From what I remember it worked out good. The high beams and the driving lights are in two different places so you will not blind anyone.
So you are saying to put an HID Kit in the projector housing even though it says not too? Sounds unsafe.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
It can be done..havent heard anything breaking or catching on fire because of it.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
HID lights dont get all that hot right? I bought some awhile back and if I remember correctly they dont requiere that many watts to operate

Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
yeah hid's actually run cooler then halogens and are perfectly safe to put in but mine the projector is the low beam and the regular bulb(where you would put the hid's) is the highs

Old 09-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
yeah hid's actually run cooler then halogens and are perfectly safe to put in but mine the projector is the low beam and the regular bulb(where you would put the hid's) is the highs
Can you make the projector the low beam, or even the high beam if you want? I guess what I'm trying to say is if I decided to make the projector the high beam, I can set it like that. But later in the future if I didn't want it that way, could i change the wires so that the low beam is running the projector? Or are they preset and not changeable?

Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by 05ford22
Can you make the projector the low beam, or even the high beam if you want? I guess what I'm trying to say is if I decided to make the projector the high beam, I can set it like that. But later in the future if I didn't want it that way, could i change the wires so that the low beam is running the projector? Or are they preset and not changeable?
yeah you can change it

Old 09-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Can you put an HID kit in the projector housing? I would rather drive with HIDs in the projectors that running them on high beams....

Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Old 09-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Horrible output pictures on those projectors. Projectors are supposed to produce an even, widespread pattern, not two blobs like that.
With that said, projectors that say not to use HIDs in them do so because a lot of aftermarket projectors use cheap, poor performing h3 projectors that are intended for auxillat lighting, not forward lighting. A small h3 projector typically can not take a hid kit because it does not support the length of a hid capsule and it can short the return wire which carries high A/C voltage across it. Could cause a fire or bad damage to the headlights and the wiring.

If its a larger projector like a H7 or H9 unit, it can easily support a HID system and have plenty of room inside to not cause problems.

Obviously the best solution would be to retrofit genuine HID projectors into these projector headlights for safe and high performance output.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
my projectors are the same as in that link and mine are much brighter and bluer but then again im not sure what bulbs are in the projectors because the highs are blue

Old 10-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Wow.. I'm glad I haven't purchased these lights. They look awesome on the truck until I saw the beam pattern. The light spread looks hazardous to me...

Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Diabolikul
Wow.. I'm glad I haven't purchased these lights. They look awesome on the truck until I saw the beam pattern. The light spread looks hazardous to me...
remember thats close up the light spreads and covers the same as the stock ones do except for the sharp cut off at the top imo they look great and work better then stock

Quick Reply: Projectors