2004 - 2008 F-150

Love my F150 but, the Titan

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
More HP/TRQ means you can pull more not just go faster. I dont get it, do you not want your F150 to have more power, atleast the same of the other trucks on the market based on HP/weight ratio?? What real man would say, I dont mind having a truck with less power than all the other 1/2 ton trucks...
are you callin me a woman?

seriously though--like i've said, i see your point...honestly, i wouldn't even own my f150 if chevy still offered the 350 in theirs, even though on paper it's the inferior engine (my chevy short wide was stolen, that's why i bought another pickup)

that being said, i drove dodge, nissan, and gm before i bought my ford, and i really don't feel that mine is underpowered...nissan was quick, you bet--and i'm sure it can tow, no doubt...motor trend's comparison was a pretty good read and the titan earned the top spot

i'm really happy with the 5.4L triton...i'm used to a larger displacement engine, and i like the fact that my engine produces torque in the lower rpms...i'm not saying it's better, just that i like that

would i like more torque? you bet

do i feel that i don't have enough? not at all

with hp, it seems that the makers, at least gm and ford, are always playing the one-manship game where each year one tries to top the other...i imagine ford will step back up with the next generation...my old chevy didn't have near the hp as these newer high-revolution engines, and it was no slouch, so i'm content with 300 hp

everything in life is a compromise, and i've always said that you can do anything you want, as long as you are willing to pay the consequences

the ford was the best compromise of power, towing capacity, ride, room, aesthetics, and safety--the consequence of owning it are that i give up a few horsepower and ft-lbs of torque to nissan and a lot of hp and a few more ft-lbs of torque to dodge

it's nothing i lose sleep over!

well, i'm back to watching texas and ohio state

later man

Last edited by ()smoke(); 09-09-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
check this out

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...21|18062|19734

hopefully it works for you. should display the side by side comparison for the titan and F-150

for some reason the page wont display for me when i select the titan

hopefully it work for u.

Cheers!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think nissan did well with the titan drivetrain.

Is it ugly... sure, but it has power and a few other neat little items. The titan does seem to intimidate most F-150 drivers in the power department, and I am sure that fact alone does help sell the trucks for nissan.

Would I buy one...NO

Would I like to hook up to one and drag it all over the place with the superduty...OH YEA

Old 09-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Why is this still here?

GD!

I actually see some merit within this thread... I really don't see a reason to remove, move, or edit it. Carry on... Carry forward... Carrie Grant.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 AM
My dad has a Infiniti QX56 w/ the same engine as the Titan, (5.6L V8). And yes it definately accelerates like no other. but its overdrive seems to me like you have to constantly be putting a little more gas to coast (but the suv is heavy so idk about the titan). It takes premium gas and has maintenance up the rear along with bad gas milage, and I consider 19 average mpg with my 5.4L good.(again this is a heavy suv, not the Titan, so idk if it's the same but it does have the same engine). But with the (infiniti QX56's interior, same as Titan's, it has a really nice look and the materials seemed to be of good quality. This is just my experience w/ the 5.6L V8. Conclusion: the 5.6L definately is quicker than the 5.4L off the line.
And ()Smoke(),
I was watching the game at work, and last I saw before I left was Texas messed up bad by losing/fumbled the ball 2 yards from the endzone! And Ohio took it past the 40.

Last edited by F-150 AZ; 09-10-2006 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:55 AM
One big factor that is not stressed is price. People comparing trucks always compare list prices as if they were the actual selling price.
They are not.
I bought my truck at 56% of sticker.
The local Nissan shop gets sticker plus 5-10%.
The extra is listed as 'destination charge' and 'Local markup'. They don't talk down to sticker, even for cash.
Went down with someone buying a truck a few months ago and the Ford was by far the cheapest in the Ontario/Riverside area. Went on to Orange County and saved her another three thousand on an F150.
She couldn't have afforded a Titan, even the base, but she got a nice XLT for a very good price.
So you have to factor the REAL selling price before you compare 'apples to apples'.
The Nissan was pretty peppy however; the quickest truck we drove was a Hemi with the low gears.
But the only one with a sane out the door price was the F150
Chris

Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 AM
True. I bought my truck in December. I didn't even consider the Titan because I wanted a truck from someone who knows what they are doing. Any company that can produce as many models as Ford (F-150 through 750) must know something about the full size pickup truck business. I got a better deal on my Ford than I could have gotten on any other pickup that I wanted. The 05 Rams were garbage, no comparison to the F-150. Tundras are nice but I wondered how they would hold up to towing. Chevy/GMC were out of the picture because I don't think that it is a quality build anymore.

From my experience from friends who own them, Titans are hell on gas anywhere from 10-12 mpg real world. They are very quick though. Ford may be behind the standard Titan and the optional HEMI dodge, but they are still ahead of the Tundra V8 (271hp/313tq), and Chevy 5.3l (295hp/335tq) which places it in the middle of the pack in terms of pure HP and TQ numbers.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...8/pageNumber=1

Old 09-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Suspended
A troll has entered the building.

However, I won’t say I’m a complete troll. After all, I do own a total of 6 F-150’s for my company. That would be 5 2004 XLT’s w/ 5.4L and 1 2006 King Ranch SC. Being that I was a manager at a dealer, I was able to practically steal these trucks. When it came time to get my own vehicle, I purchased a Titan for numerous reasons.

1. The engine:
I see a lot of people on here talking about low end torque and peak power and how the F-150 may have an edge. STOP!!!

I’m sorry, but that is hearsay. First of all, power that the engine puts out doesn’t count if it never makes it to the ground. Ford will soon release the 6 speed automatic for the F-150, but until they do, there is nothing more to say.

The Titan's VK56DE is almost smaller in physical dimensions than the Modular 4.6L block and it is over 100 lbs lighter than the Modular 5.4L block. The Titan engine is underrated and is currently held back by an ECU that won't even allow full throttle at many speeds and certain parts of the rev range. Despite this, a stock Titan continues to out accelerate most any other stock V8 pickup with or without load. Imagine if the Titan's could actually go full throttle.

F-150 5.4L
300 hp @ 5000 rpms
365 lb.-ft. @ 3,750 rpms

Titan 5.6L
317 hp @ 5,200 rpms
385 lb.-ft. @ 3,400 rpms

You can see here that the Titan makes more low end torque at a lower point in the rev range. I'm also sure that the Titan makes more power at 5000 rpms too because the old rating was 305 horses at 4900 rpms. The modular 5.4L has been in production for almost 10 years. I would prefer this engine over Chevy or Dodge's offerings in a heartbeat, but those little guys across the pond know how the make an engine. I'm sure Ford will deliver some upgrades soon. But until then, Titan owners will enjoy their power more due to reduced internal friction from making more power at lower revs, the extra gear, a very significant difference in drivetrain loss, and a 400-800 pound difference in comparable curb weights.

My fleet trucks all use a company gas card that requires them to enter their current vehicle mileage before they pump. I do the same thing for my truck. The small business membership for this particular program gives me a list with the card #'s and all the data on the fill ups. It also gives me data on the miles in between fill ups and fuel economy. It also allows me to see if one of these guys are full of crap or stealing gas. Not one of these guys are close to my gas mileage. They get 12.1 – 14.1 and I get 15-16+ on a consistent basis. I would also have to say I tow more than these guys because I'm a penny pincher and stuff that I don't have to pay someone to get keeps that money in my pocket. They also use Mobile 1 0w20 while I use a thicker RP 10w30.

Because of the lower drivetrain loss, lower curb wieght, extra gear with longer gearing, and reduced friction due to making more power at lower rpms, the Titan gets better fuel economy. You can take that to the bank. Drivetrain loss and four gears is your biggest problem.

2. The transmission
As far as the transmissions go, all I can say is the Nissan has way smoother shifts. This is likely due to the ratios being closer due to the existence of an additional gear. Also, if you math wizards want to get a spread sheet going, the first four gears on the Titan WITHOUT the shorter final drive ratio are almost equal to the ratios on an F-150 with 4.10 gears. The shorter final drive available on the Titan is just icing on the cake.

There are few, if any transmission failures to report on the Nissan side of things. Time will tell how the long term reliability is for the Titan, but being that the engine and transmission are built in Japan, they should be solid. I believe Ford has one of the more reliable transmissions, when they aren't being recalled. I know this, because the 06 King Ranch was involved and still acts erratically at 50 mph in OD. It's still way better than the “made of glass” Dodge 5 speed or the Chevy 4 speed with a 2nd gear that dang near gets into the triple digits.

The Titan wins hands down in the engine braking department. Using 2nd gear to try and slow down with a trailer on an F-150 is almost worthless. The lower ratios on the Titan and less drivetrain loss allow more of that compression braking to make it to the wheels.

The Titan puts more power to the ground than the Dodge Hemi because of their lossy transmission being designed for the 4.7L magnum. Titans average 260-270 to the ground. I think you know where you stand.

CONTINUED

Last edited by wurk4fordgotttn; 09-10-2006 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Suspended
3. The frame
Without a doubt, the F-150 has a tougher frame. To me, this is largely overkill. A comparable crew cab or extended cab Titan will pull just as much as an F-150. The only time Ford exceeds the Titan's tow capacity, is with a regular cab F-150 with the 8 foot box. Someone can chime in here if I am wrong. Tow capacity's are limited by the drivetrain and suspension. Not the frame. Even trucks with a tiny unfully boxed frame (see GM) can handle 9500 lbs when properly equiped. The F-150 does have a higher payload capacity on all trim levels. Again, not due to the frame. This is more of a testament to the excellent outboard shocks that Ford engineers implemented.

The new Dodge frame (2006+), the new Chevy frame (2007+) and the Titan frame, all provide more than adequate rigidity for everyone. This may sound bad, but the oversized Ford frame seems more like a marketing ploy than anything. However, you will never see Ford advertise how it is hundreds of pounds heavier than everyone elses frames and hurts fuel economy and acceleration. If you need a frame this thick, you should have bought a Super Duty.

I'll give Ford a point for having the toughest frame, but I'll take it right back for the ill-effects of going overboard.

4. Everything else
The Titan has a larger Crewcab with seats that fold both up and down. The F-150 only allows the seat bottoms to move. The F-150 obviously has more trim levels and body types. The Titan allows you to get an off road package on the Base model XE. Some of the Titan configurations make more sense. To get the same on an F-150, you have to get an expensive FX4. I got my Titan with more equipment than an F-150 XLT for 3,000 less than D-Plan and $5000 in rebates.

Most everything else is subjective. Especially looks. Heck, some people like the looks of a Dodge. They probably also think Cortney love is hot. I prefer the ride of the Titan. The driver of my King Ranch likes his ride better. I've seen countless reviews praise the Titan's brakes, and the same for the F-150. I've seen reviews that don't like the brakes for both vehicles. However, Nissan's stop quicker because of lower curb weights. The interiors are both neat and tasteful. People that dislike either interior are either blind or heavily bias. Dodge interiors ARE cheap, and GM's interiors contain more plastic than a matchbox replica of the same vehicle. Ford and Nissan have the best interiors at the moment.

The Titan had some brake problems with the 2004-05 models. Has since been fixed. Some early models with the locking rear differential had issues. That has since been fixed. Nissan has corrected most of the new model year problems. In addition, with the exception of the engine and transmission, the Titan was designed in America by Americans, and it is assembled in America by Americans. Dodges are made in Mexico, but still considered American, and if GM keeps ticking off the UAW, I'm sure those will be made in Abu Dahbi soon.

Conclusion

Both companies make fantastic trucks. Ford is just behind the 8 ball in the drivetrain department. Speed is important to me. I didn't want to pay more money for a Ford and then have to dump even more money in it to get it quick enough to satisfy me on the freeway that Atlanta has quite a bit of. I think you all know that 3rd gear is a dog. If they had drag racing trucks in the special olympics, they'd all be Fords. That transmission has got to go. The 445 horsepower Roush Stage III F-150 is barely faster than a stock Titan and a couple of guys with less than $1000 in bolt-ons can beat it. Both trucks have also traded blows in many publications for being in 1st place in a comparisons. I'm just trying to clear up a few pieces of misinformation from a quasi-objective source. Remember, I used to sell F-150s.

*Please note that I never mentioned Toyota in this review because they don't make a full size truck...

for people with a *****.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Those are all very good points. The Titan does have better performance than F-150. Each truck has its own selling points. The F-150 does have a slight edge in payload capacity and towing (after comparing specs on Ford's and Nissan's website). I have driven a few Titans and they are very snappy on initial acceleration. The Titan was the winner in the edmunds story that I linked to earlier. It dominated the F150 in 0-60 to the tune of like 7.7 to 9.6 (ouch) and in the 1/4 mile, 16.1 to 16.9. I am happy with my choice in trucks, if I could have gotten a similarly equiped Titan for the price, I may have gone the other way. But I didn't so now I am a Ford man.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
More HP/TRQ means you can pull more
That is not always true, as there are many more factors involved other then HP/TRQ when it comes to pulling. This is exactly why I asked what the RGAWR and RGAW of the Titan is (which nobody seems to know).

For instance, a 2005 Dodge RAM 1500, regular cab, 4x4, with a 5.7L HEMI V8 engine generates 345 horsepower at 5400 rpm and 375 pound-feet of torque at 4200 rpm. This is more HP and torque then a 2005 F150.

However, that particular Dodge has a GVWR of only 6,350 lbs, and has a GVW of 5,845 lbs. The '05 Dodge's RGAWR is 3,900 lbs, but it's rear axle is quite heavy, with its RGAW weighing in at 2,921 lbs. Now factor in that Dodge's maximum loaded trailer weight rating of 8,900 lbs, and you will get a calculated maximum trailer weight for that pariticular Dodge of only 3,367 lbs.

This low pulling weight of the Dodge is due to the high GVW vs low GVWR and the nominal RGAWR vs the heavy RGAW, even though it has a powerful engine. The F150 of similar specs (4x4, reg cab etc) has a higher GVWR and a much better RGAWR vs RGAW ratio, so it can safely pull much more weight then the Dodge.

Again, horse power and torque are just mear factors out of many when it comes to calculating towing capacity.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Wurk....you said it all.

I'm also chiming in on this one. First of all I want to say thanks for the respect that you all have shown toward the Titans. Its refreshing to see a discussion based on real statistics and not an argument fueled by passions for your truck.

Let me first say...I am a converted Ford F150 driver. I've driven a ford since I was able to reach the peddles. I think the body styling and the interior of these trucks are simply amazing! I do miss the lay out of the interior! All those great cup holders...everything within perfect reach...etc....

BUT....The reassurance that I get when I drive my Titan...heading for a freeway and knowing I'm not gonna get slammed by a semi because I have the power to punch it and go....priceless I tell you! I was often caught in the dilemma of wondering if my Ford had the guts to "make it" when I pushed it. More often than not...it didn't. This is peace of mind especially for a woman.

The Titans are a far cry from perfect...you give a little here to get a little there. I do wish that we had a more stable rear end. But it does its job well. I tow...I mud...and I play and work hard in my truck. I push this truck to its limits everyday. Sometimes I think I do it just to see if she can handle it. I own two....and would get three and four if my pocket book could handle it. I am simply amazed at the performance. In the 3 years of production...Nissan has come a long way to fix the issues that often plague a new model vehicle. It's standard practice to have issues arise after the trucks are tested in a real world setting.

Someone quoted that the Titan only gets 12 mpg at best.... I get around 13-14...which I know is not the best scenario...but I'm lifted and run bigger tires. So I'm pleased with that performance. Unfortunately for us...we don't have superchips...or programmers that will allow us to get the maximum performance out of our trucks....for now we have to settle for status quo.

So what I'm basically saying in the end...is that Ford can learn a thing or two from Nissan and Nissan could borrow a few ideas from Ford. It would be a great truck if those two merged!

OK...now who called my truck butt ugly???????? And I thought I was getting all the attention because I was beautiful!
Here are my two trucks playing in the dirt..... I still think they are HOT!

Old 09-10-2006, 10:52 AM
isaid it before and i will say it again. the titans look hot lifted!!

Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree with Chicks. Excellent discussion and quite civil to boot. Keep talkin'. I've certainly been paying attention. I also am a Titan owner. Here's a few pics for you guys.

Edit: Nevermind. Evidently I haven't posted enought times to attach any. Or am I missing something, here?

Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by metallicat
I agree with Chicks. Excellent discussion and quite civil to boot. Keep talkin'. I've certainly been paying attention. I also am a Titan owner. Here's a few pics for you guys.

Edit: Nevermind. Evidently I haven't posted enought times to attach any. Or am I missing something, here?
you have to make a gallery ( https://www.f150online.com/gallery/index.html ), or post a link to photobucket, etc. site

Quick Reply: Love my F150 but, the Titan