2004 - 2008 F-150

Quality was not Job 1 the day they built my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality was not Job 1 the day they built my truck

This thing was my baby, now I am starting to hate it.

Here are the problems I am having:

The infamous air noise at the top of the front windshield.
This has now turned into a whistling noise at or above 70mph. It is driving me insane. I have tried to figure out what the problem is myself but couldn't.

Frequent rough idle.
It doesn't happen all of the time but often enough. When it happens it feels like at least 1 cylinder is completely dead.

Missing clip on the cowling around the windshield wipers.

It is the clip closest to the drivers side. This has caused the cowling to crack from rattling around.

Missing clips from the rubber liner at the front of the truck, under the radiator.
The 3 plastic clips were actually there but the liner wasn't in place when they were installed which left this floppy looking thing sticking out under my truck.

Passenger side rear door has to be slammed to close it (supercab)
Every single passenger who has ever closed this door has failed to close it on the first try because you have to slam it so hard. (the driver's door is getting close to being the same way)

Not one, but two oil leaks.
I'm not talking a smear of oil, I mean the type that actually drip. One is coming from the front of the engine around the cam cover. The other seems to be the rear main seal.

All on a 2006 F150 with around 6000 miles.

Other than the idle problem, I have not brought the truck in for any of this because I can't really be without it for an extended period of time. When I brought it in for the idle problem I also had them take care of the two recalls that applied to the truck. They claimed the idle was "normal" and didn't fix it.

So anyway, I am looking at being without my new $30,000+ truck while it has the transmission pulled out, the front and rear of the engine pulled apart, window resealed, and other such items I would rather not have to deal with on a new vehicle.

*SIGH*

I just needed to rant.

BTW, has anyone had any luck getting a dealer to pay for a rental vehicle while your truck was in their shop?

Also, are there any dealerships in North Dallas that anyone can recommend? (Addison/Carrolton/Farmers Branch area). I just moved here from New Orleans and don't have any experience with the local dealers.

Here are pics of the oil leaks. The front leak drips off of the ac compressor.

Front
Rear

Edit: Did I mention that the brakes are getting mushy?

Last edited by Aaron_j; 08-13-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM
My dealership always gives me a rental car when I bring it in for warranty work. If you require a truck for work, and are persistent enough, they will probably even get you a truck. I did that once and got a Mark LT to drive for a couple days.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
BTW, has anyone had any luck getting a dealer to pay for a rental vehicle while your truck was in their shop?
Yes, every time. But that is here in Ohio.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealership also supplies a loaner car,fortunately I haven't needed one yet.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Aaron_j ,I've had my 06 for just over 5 months and it's been flawless.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:29 PM
My dealer also always supplies me with a loaner.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Based on these 4 responses, things might not be so bad. I had always assumed that you only got a loaner vehicle if you drove a Lexus or BMW. You know what they say about assuming.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Based on these 4 responses, things might not be so bad. I had always assumed that you only got a loaner vehicle if you drove a Lexus or BMW. You know what they say about assuming.
My dealership has two cars of their own they loan out first. After that, they have enterprise or Avis get me a car. I got the Mark LT from Avis.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Suspended
I always get a loaner no questions asked...well, I did with my Ranger. Haven't needed it for the F150. and now I have a Focus and an F150 so I have my own rental car

But man it looks like you got a Friday afternoon truck, bummer.

Hopefully they can get it all taken care of the first try. MAKE SURE you very directly tell the service writer that you are very busy and rely on the truck for work and that you would rather they made damn sure to get it ALL right then give it back a half day early.

good luck

Old 08-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Too bad about the problems with your truck, sounds like it was built friday afternoon at 4:00pm or monday morning at 7:00am. Hopefully they will get everything done right the first trip to the dealership.

The last loaner that I got was a 06 F350 CC SB, King Ranch, 4WD 6.0PSD. I had the owner of the dealership pick my truck up (he lives 3 blocks up the street) to do a few little things under warranty and he left my his demo. He could have just kept my truck, that was the best loaner that I think I could have possibly gotten, I was sad to see it leave and get my F150 back!

Last edited by PHS79; 08-12-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:05 PM

Mine just gives me whatever I need off of the used lot. While mine was in, they gave me an '03 4x4 Lariat SC with 25k miles on it that was straight out of the cleanup shop.

Quick Reply: Quality was not Job 1 the day they built my truck