2004 - 2008 F-150

Message Center Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message Center Help

Let me prefix this by saying that I searched this topic and came up empty.

My message center MPG average has been showing a steady between 15.6 and 16.4 for a long time. By steady I mean the MPG value not changing constantly. The value would only change weekly depending on my driving habits.
Friday I started a road trip and while I was going around 55-60 MPH, I pushed the reset button on the MPG estimate screen. Now the MPG avg numbers are constatnly changing. By this I mean stopped at a traffic light, it will show 11 or 12, the second I hit the gas, goes down to 9 or 10, then when I get to cruising speed, it will go up to 17, 18 or 20.

Before I reset the the MPG message it would hold a steady value for weeks and not based on my immediate acceleration. I liked that staedy MPG information better, versus the constant and immediate MPG changes, which are of little help and make less sense.

Could anybody help me in resetting this back to the old way?

Thanks for your help,
Pete

Old 08-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I believe that you are actually seeing the average MPG. Before you pressed the reset it had a tremendous amount of data to average due to all of the driving that you had done before. After you pressed the reset button, it started a new series of data to average for this calculation and therefore it does not take very much to effect the MPG that you are seeing. As you continue driving, the data pool will grow and once again you will have a fairly stable number that will not fluctuate with acceleration and sitting at stop lights. The more that you drive it the more steady this number will become.

I hope this helps you...

Old 08-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Hokieron,

Thank you for your help. You explained it perfectly. I thought I had screwed up something by resetting it on the fly like that.

Cheers,

Pete

Quick Reply: Message Center Help