2004 - 2008 F-150

Taking my truck to the next level...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
I hope your kidding becuase your comparing an 11sec cars(both z06 and GT) with a what, mid to low 13 sec truck?? We need 1/4 times!!
I think he is kidding too, otherwise he said a lot of BS.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:51 PM
I think my brother is stretching a little with his comments guys Of course, the folks in this town probably don't know how to drive what they have, so I probably could take them. jdp knows cars though, he should be working for Ford designing.

Rafa, I'll go check on that pm now and get back to you.

mlawdawg, I've already got in touch with Whipple and they are going to get me a tuner with the 4.56 gears calibrated in, and a second tune to suck out a bunch of timing for winter and using 90 octane gas. I'm going to start mixing 101 octane race fuel with our 90 octane "premium" that is available up here to get some of the timing back into the truck for summer time. This low premium octane we have in Alaska really sucks. I'm buying a buriable 500 gallon fuel tank and pump next week to put behind my house and use for a fill up. The initial cost sucks, but once it's all said and done, it'll be well worth it. I plan to mix the fuel to 92-93 octane, and 500 gallons will almost be enough to get me through summer. I have to buy the 101 octane in 55 gallon drums though. It's 8 bucks a gallon here because of the shipping, but after everything is mixed, I'll be around $3.50-$3.75 a gallon at todays delivered price.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
I think my brother is stretching a little with his comments guys Of course, the folks in this town probably don't know how to drive what they have, so I probably could take them. jdp knows cars though, he should be working for Ford designing.

Rafa, I'll go check on that pm now and get back to you.

mlawdawg, I've already got in touch with Whipple and they are going to get me a tuner with the 4.56 gears calibrated in, and a second tune to suck out a bunch of timing for winter and using 90 octane gas. I'm going to start mixing 101 octane race fuel with our 90 octane "premium" that is available up here to get some of the timing back into the truck for summer time. This low premium octane we have in Alaska really sucks. I'm buying a buriable 500 gallon fuel tank and pump next week to put behind my house and use for a fill up. The initial cost sucks, but once it's all said and done, it'll be well worth it. I plan to mix the fuel to 92-93 octane, and 500 gallons will almost be enough to get me through summer. I have to buy the 101 octane in 55 gallon drums though. It's 8 bucks a gallon here because of the shipping, but after everything is mixed, I'll be around $3.50-$3.75 a gallon at todays delivered price.
Dude, do you have a connection to Whipple? You certainly seem to get a helluva lot more responsiveness than I ever did when i was trying to learn about relese dates for the supercharger back when.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by mlawdawg
Dude, do you have a connection to Whipple? You certainly seem to get a helluva lot more responsiveness than I ever did when i was trying to learn about relese dates for the supercharger back when.
Maybe, I'm not sure. I think the reason might be because I spent so much time there and talked to them face to face. I spent two days in Fresno the first time around, then another full day there dialing in the new tune. Dustin, Shonda, and the rest of the guys are all a real nice bunch, but they are seriously busy there. They might also feel sorry for me since I'm in Alaska and we don't have Jack for any real performance mods here. Last I heard, there are a total of 2 dyno shops in the state, and both of them are 350 miles away in Anchorage and charge 100-150 per run or hour.

Also, when I was at Whipple, I noticed that they really do take the extra effort to make sure they put out a good product, and keep each and every one of their customers happy. They had their stuff together with the superchargers, both the F-150's and the mustangs, but they were actually held up with very minor parts from other distributors to complete the systems and put them on the market. I've had issues like this with my business as well and I can tell you it is one of the most frustrating things to encounter.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Gotta give you credit for treking out there. Michigan has a few shops, but most are unreasonably priced or you can't get anything done. I drove over to Paul's High Performance for example, and met Paul, chatted--nice guy. But I can't get an estimate out of him 'cause he's so busy.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by silverbullet5.4
I hope your kidding becuase your comparing an 11sec cars(both z06 and GT) with a what, mid to low 13 sec truck??

Yeah, I'm kidding. I'm well aware that these cars are capable of low 11's, even 10's in the right circumstances. However, the ability to drive these kinda cars on the roads up here, it wouldn't be too crazy for 05RoushMarkLT to actually beat 'em. One frost heave, and you can kiss the bottom ends of the high price beasts goodbye. We were cruizin' down Farmer's Loop road, haulin' considerable azz, and as the accelerator was pressed, so was flight time off of a frost heave. Pretty sweet to hear the engine rev when we went airborne (insert Roush suspension upgrade disclaimer here).

Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 PM
You should look into those traction bars that "Matt FX4" has... I think they are super lift traction bars. They'll really help to reduce axel wrap and help with better launches without sacrificing any daily driving comforts.

Then you could buy you a set of drag radials and hit the track up! yeah! You should be FIRMLY under 2 seconds on the 60FT times then!

Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm going to see how she sticks with the 4.56 gears first, and if I start getting some hop, I'll get some traction bars. That might be a future upgrade anyhow, but the wife isn't too thrilled with the price of the gears as it is, so I better take it easy for a bit.

I guess jdp let the cat out of the bag, yes, I did make my truck airborne while driving him up to his house. I think the speedo was between 100-110, and we dove right in and out of a good sized frost heave. We could feel the tires come off the ground, and then the whine spoke up until we touched back down. The landing was surprisedly soft. I think I'll get him on the side of the road with my camcorder so we can get a video of it. I'm not sure how many times I want to send my truck into orbit though.

Quick Reply: Taking my truck to the next level...