2004 - 2008 F-150

25,000 Miles of Gas Mileage Data

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kylakerider
Did you say which engine and rear gear your truck has?
5.4l, 3.55 gears. Sorry I left that out!

Grim

Last edited by Grim; 07-25-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
I'll host the file for you if you want on my personal site.

Email me if you like.

I know Steve won't bring it up but his other site ownersite will track all this for you with reporting. Just an FYI.
Thanks, but I just emailed the raw data and a chart to bushtree.

Grim

Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, I am having a problem with my websever so i wasnt able to get it up. However i put it up on one of those free sites that way you guys can view it untell i get my issues worked out..

http://rapidshare.de/files/26920993/...leage.xls.html
Just click the free button, there is no registration or wait or anything like that..

Old 07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I live in Tulsa too and my mileage sucks too.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 PM
I do almost the exact same thing...grab the receipt and write down the actual odometer reading as well as the trip odometer reading (so I can do a quick mental calculation of my last tank) then reset the trip odometer. I have a couple years of receipts as well but never did any statistical analysis on them.

I also keep my receipts in the unlikely event that:
1. A station EVER tries to report me as a non-paying customer. I always pay at the pump and I don't want to have the five-o knocking my door to discuss gas theft.
2. If there is ever a class action suit against the gas companies that they are gouging at the pump (yeah, right, this'll never happen) I'll have records of fuel purchases.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a 2000 F-150 5.4L with nearly 130,000 miles. I have been keeping records since I bought the truck with 85,000 miles on it. One of the biggest benefits of this is being able to know if there are problems with the truck. I saw a large drop in mileage for a tank before my check engine light came on when I had an ignition problem a year ago.

So far I am averaging 14.91 mpg, but haven't had a tank less than 15 mpg since December.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Grim, this is fantasticly interesting. Here is what I see in the data:
1) a 1mpg decrease over about 13 months before the trip. Hum, what caused that? carbon build up? maybe an increase in ethanol in the gas that the gas companies are ripping us off on. Do you live in an area with ethanol in the gas?
2) i would have guessed that a 3 tank running average would be nearly flat line, but obviously not. Is there anything you can say about your driving style to explain the large variations even in the 3 tank average?
3) there is evidence of a slight increase in mpg after the highway trip, did you change anything like engine oil? gas brand?
not being nosy here, just curious about this interesting data.....thanks for posting this.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks!

Originally Posted by kylakerider
Grim, this is fantasticly interesting. Here is what I see in the data:
1) a 1mpg decrease over about 13 months before the trip. Hum, what caused that? carbon build up? maybe an increase in ethanol in the gas that the gas companies are ripping us off on. Do you live in an area with ethanol in the gas?

I think the drop in 2004/2005 was a combination of several items, although it is impossible to be sure). 1) Road construction on highway 75 that forced me to drive through Jenks, Oklahoma to get to work. 2) Gas prices went up, so we stopped using my truck for long trips (generally) and I only drove short, city trips. 3) My air filter was getting dirty. I expect to see gas mileage trending up over the next few months with the cleaner air filter and the fact that I'm driving on the highway more.

The gas pumps where I normally fill up don't say anything about ethanol, so I doubt we use it. Tulsa spends every summer skirting the dirty air list (due to the refineries) so we get a custom blend of gasoline anyway.

2) i would have guessed that a 3 tank running average would be nearly flat line, but obviously not. Is there anything you can say about your driving style to explain the large variations even in the 3 tank average?

I don't think it is driving style, I think it is where I drive. When gas mileage increases 25% when driving on the interstate when compared to driving in the city, every fairly short 300 mile highway trip shows up as a variation in the three tank moving average.

3) there is evidence of a slight increase in mpg after the highway trip, did you change anything like engine oil? gas brand?
not being nosy here, just curious about this interesting data.....thanks for posting this. The only thing I can think of is that I got a huge bonus at work in early 2006. My bonus was large enough that I said f-it, I don't care how much gas costs, I'm driving my truck. Unfortunately, work is sending me overseas for the next couple of years, so I'm probably going to sell the truck before I determine if the K&N actually helped!

Quick Reply: 25,000 Miles of Gas Mileage Data