2004 - 2008 F-150

help, cruise control option

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help, cruise control option

I have searched the threads but did not find the question I have. I have an 05 reg cab xl trim with no cruise control what all do I need to put cruise control on my truck? I found A stearing wheel on ebay that has the cruise control buttons on it .Please,any information would be great,thanks

Old 05-17-2006, 10:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You'll need a steering wheel from a truck that has the cruise switches on it, and a dealer to reprogram your PCM to enable cruise control.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:26 PM
that is all? nothing else to buy?can I take the switches off another wheel and put them on mine?thanks for the fast reply

Old 05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Yep, I have done six wheel swaps. You get a wheel with buttons, or just the buttons, and pull the wheel (search under cruise control, lots of write ups, I did two I think) swap wheels or put the buttons on your wheel. Then after you put it back together take it to any dealership that can do simple PCM stuff (some can not understand the truck, go elsewhere) and pay 35-65 bucks to have it turned on.
Works great.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Smile

thanks for the information. I have a wheel coming in a few days. my next thing is to do power windows/locks( i found alot of threads here that show me how to do that) but wont be able to do that until sometime in July.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah, the cruise was the first of those I did to my truck.

Then the power windows and locks at the same time. Saves work when you pull the door panels.

If I was doing it from scratch today, I would do the sound proofing and speakers the same time as the locks and windows. Just plain saves labor and wear and tear on the screws/bolts etc.

Cruise on these trucks works very well. More precise that in the days of servos and pull chains under the hood.
Chris

Quick Reply: help, cruise control option