2004 - 2008 F-150

Flowmaster, Dynomax, or Magnaflow???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster, Dynomax, or Magnaflow???

Guys,
I am really torn. I will be putting on a SIDO muffler. Found a shop to do the work on Thurs. Labor will be around $100. Having the shop mirror the stock piping onto the drivers side, so i will have duals, out the sides behind wheels. Now that thats covered and set, which muffler do i go with: Flow original 40, Dynomax Ultra Flo weld, or Maggie 14"(5x8 oval i believe). Looking for sound first then performance. All 3 sound good on their respective websites. Want it LOUD!!!! Please help!!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Flowmasters will probably give you the most throaty noise, but it also depends on what's upstream on the pipes? Did you leave both cats in place? If so, you'll never get the volume you could have w/o them (but w/o them you also probably won't pass emissions).
I've got dual Magnaflow's on my 06 SCrew, they sound great, but definetly aren't as throaty as the Flowmasters on the same size truck (but thats really what I wanted, performance and a good sound, w/o being too loud). I've never herd a Dynamax in person, but they'd have to be damn good to be louder than the Flowmaster 40 series.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by blitz933
Flowmasters will probably give you the most throaty noise, but it also depends on what's upstream on the pipes? Did you leave both cats in place? If so, you'll never get the volume you could have w/o them (but w/o them you also probably won't pass emissions).
I've got dual Magnaflow's on my 06 SCrew, they sound great, but definetly aren't as throaty as the Flowmasters on the same size truck (but thats really what I wanted, performance and a good sound, w/o being too loud). I've never herd a Dynamax in person, but they'd have to be damn good to be louder than the Flowmaster 40 series.
Have an 06 FX4, so only have on set o cats, and will be leaving them on.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Suspended
I'd really think twice about getting a SI/DO muffler if you want LOUD. Trust me, go true duals. Check out my other thread man!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Well after a few phone calls and some thinking. i am just gonna go with sido. still need some help on muffler. maggie, flowmaster, or dynamax. if anyone has sound clips with these on their rigs please post. thanks!!!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
If you want loud then go for the dynomax or flowmaster 4o series

Old 05-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Blackford
If you want loud then go for the dynomax or flowmaster 4o series
which dynomax, weld or ss

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I have flow 40s.. very happy.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Original 40's Baby

Old 05-16-2006, 11:34 PM
my flo-pro sounds sick. Nice and deep very little rasp as compard to flowmaster. Depends what kinda sound you like

Old 05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I had a flowmaster on my truck and it sounded good but I had 4 cats, My wife has 2 cats and the same flowmaster set up and it is louder. Now for performance I went with a true dual set up with long tubes and high flow cats and a DI/DO magnaflow. This set up is very conservative at idle but as soon as you open the throttle it comes alive and WOT it roars. Now my wife wants her truck louder...... So in answering your question you will probably get more noise with a flowmaster, flow pro or IMCO extreme from idle all the way up but you may get more cab drone. hope this helps.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I have similar set up to what you want except I have the Flowmaster Deltaflows. They are meant to be quiet in the cab. I think it is a little louder than Magnaflow sido systems that I have heard. It is perfect for me but if you are looking for loud the deltaflow isnt for you, pick a different Flowmaster. Also Magnaflow makes dynomax, FYI.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by gregbj33
Guys,
I am really torn. I will be putting on a SIDO muffler. Found a shop to do the work on Thurs. Labor will be around $100. Having the shop mirror the stock piping onto the drivers side, so i will have duals, out the sides behind wheels. Now that thats covered and set, which muffler do i go with: Flow original 40, Dynomax Ultra Flo weld, or Maggie 14"(5x8 oval i believe). Looking for sound first then performance. All 3 sound good on their respective websites. Want it LOUD!!!! Please help!!!!

Nice Ride!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i recomend flowmasters all the way best sounding and performance IMO, good luck

Old 05-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I started with a Flowmaster Super 40 SIDO. It sounded really good and was quite loud (just ask my neighbor across the street, the tips point straight at his house and I know he loves it when I fire it up at 6am to go to work). The problem I had with the FM was that at about 40 and again at 60 mph the drone was terrible. It was bad enough that I could feel a vibration throughout the entire truck and I could see my mirrors shake a little. It was just a little too much for me. I swapped it with a Maggie SIDO 14" 5X8. I love how this thing sounds. The best I can describe it is that it sounds something like an older musclecar. It's nice and quiet with just a deep V8 rumble at idle, but it really makes itself known when you get on it. There is still a little drone around 2000 rpm, but nowhere near as bad as the FM. If you're just looking for loud I would recommend going with either a Super40 or an IMCO Extreme.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster, Dynomax, or Magnaflow???