2004 - 2008 F-150

Anyone else have idle problems with the 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have idle problems with the 4.6?

I just made an appt. to bring my truck in Saturday (tomorrow) for erratic idle problems. As time goes on, it is becomming more frequent. The main problem is while at a stop light. I can watch the idle slowly creap downward to the point the engine starts to surge then dies. Upon restarting everything goes back to normal. (when it dies it does not trigger the wrench light)
I took it in the first time this happened (about a year ago) but naturally it ran fine at the dealer.
One sure indicator that it will do this is when i initially start it when it has been sitting, the idle will shoot up to about 3500+ then slowly come back down.
Hope they find it, only have 7 months left on the warranty.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:08 AM
My 4.6 has a wobbly idle at times, but not as severe as what you're seeing. The rpm's don't seem to fluctuate much at a light but the mottor seems to shake a bit. It's more random now with the Edge than before. Curious to hear what the trip to the dealer turns up for you.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Just dropped it off and it does not sound to encouraging. The service writer said for them to locate the problem the truck will have to display the low idle due to the fact no wrench light comes on. So, i told them to keep the truck for a week and hope it will do it. Guess it looks like i will be driving a 1999 Ford Ranger for the next week.

Last edited by anaheim; 05-06-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:46 PM
So, the Ford dealer in Orange had my truck for 3 days and could not duplicate the problem. Of course a day or so after i picked it up, it starts up again. Actually stalled going around a corner.
Yesterday on my way home from work, the first right i took the truck starts running extremely rough, the wrench light comes on momentarily as well as the engine light. So I pull to the side and shut it down. Upon restart the only light that stayed on is the engine light, and it actually ran and idled smoothly all the way home. This morning i took it to a different dealer (engine light still on) close to my work in La Mirada. I hope the wrench light was on long enough to throw a code. I expect to hear before the end of the day.
7 months on my warranty and counting.

Old 05-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Service tech just called, they are installing a new throttle body. I pick it up later this afternoon. I am soooooo glad they finally found the problem, its no fun to drive and stall all the time.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have idle problems with the 4.6?