2004 - 2008 F-150

OEM Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Fender Flares

I know that this topic has been addressed multiple times, but. I am installing OEM fender flares on my XLT. I have read that people have only drilled into the bottom of the fender to secure the flares to the truck. My question is how well does this hold? I have made a template for drilling the holes, but are still a little hesitant. Does anyone have any sugestions or even done this modification. Any advice would help.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
With OEM fender flares, you have to drill sides too. Otherwise, how are you planning on keeping the sides intacted????

Old 04-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Whaler417, I think I do no what you mean,there are members here that have drilled only the underside of the wheel lip moulding to secure it, and not the holes along the face of the fender.I cannot remember who it was,but I believed they said the mouldings have enough curvature to hold tight against the body.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
As truck rolls down the road (particularly on uneven surface) it will flap.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I would think you could drill only the underside holes and then use 3m double sided emblem tape to secure them the rest of the way. I believe that is how the aftermarket flares that do not require drilling are attached.

-stephen

Old 04-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I've also considered adding these but the drilling really turns me off. Not to derail the original question, I'd like to see the responses to that question as well as this: I've never looked inside the wheel well with the flares, how much do they cover the inside of the fender? I'm imagining very little to not at all.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:04 PM

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Lariet flares should be here by the end of the week.I'll let you know how the install goes.I'm almost positive I can get them tight by drilling only the fender lip around the wheelwell and just screwing them to the fender lip only.I have installed flares that way before,but not on a F150.That is how I installed the GNX flares on my GNX clone.I'm not trying to get off topic but flares are flares so if the holes are drilled in the right spots it shoud work.The Lariet flares should be a piece of cake to install compared to the GNX flares.I had to sand the GNX flares quite a bit to fit the shape of the body. One helpful hint:if you're gonna do much trial fitting you should put some strips of masking tape on the fender or on the edge of the flare to avoid scratching the fenders.The flares in the pic below are tight just screwed to the fender lips w/ no tape.I hope it works the same on my XLT.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I've done this and I had a hard enough time getting them flush WITH all the holes in the sides. I don't see how 2 sided tape could be used since there really isn't a good sized flat surface on the inside of the flares.
My only suggestion is, check your template carefully and TAKE YOUR TIME. Also mine didn't come with the fasteners. I was able to find these at auto supply and hardware stores(I bought out at least 3 stores) and I found out that bigger and longer is better. With fasteners that is.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:26 AM
flares

I plan on using stanless screws on the underside of the moulding instead of plastic, anyone have any sugestions on what type of screw?

Quick Reply: OEM Fender Flares